What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump tripping circuit breaker

cardinalflier

Well Known Member
My Weldon fuel pump occasionally trips my new 5 amp circuit breaker when turning on the fuel pump for my first start of the day on my IO360. Thoughts? Is 5 amp enough for thr Weldon pump? Is my pump starting to fail? The c/b won't trip again during the day, unless my battery voltage drops. I solved my battery voltage problem by replacing the 40 amp alt with a PP 60 amp. This is all after i completed a panel upgrade with a complete Dynon Skyview install in my RV6. TIA for the help. Bruce

The Airflow Performance pump requires at least a 7.5A breaker. I assume the Weldon should be the same for high pressure.

My experience is most of these pumps take somewhere in the 5 amp range. It is an electric motor and they have a higher in-rush current at startup and depending upon how fast your breaker is, it can trip. I would recommend a 10 amp breaker and appropriate wiring for these pumps. Running a breker that close to expected current is a potential problem.

Larry

Back