-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 AM

Have a look at the current EAA magazine. There is an article about it.
I would be concerned about corrosion under the vinyl and I hvn't seen this addressed.
Will vinyl stand up to RV speeds. The vinyl rego under the wings on my Corby Starlet, have peeled off in places, but that started at about ten years in service and the Vinyl is applied on topof Stitts fabric.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
Have a look at the current EAA magazine. There is an article about it.
I would be concerned about corrosion under the vinyl and I hvn't seen this addressed.
Will vinyl stand up to RV speeds. The vinyl rego under the wings on my Corby Starlet, have peeled off in places, but that started at about ten years in service and the Vinyl is applied on topof Stitts fabric.
I have tested our vinyl at 290kts and FL250. RV speeds are no issue if installed correctly.

There are hundreds of different levels and manufactures of vinyl. They vary greatly.

We have addressed the topic of corrosion several times on this site and while discussing our process daily.

Have a paint price? Send it to me and see what we can do!

Please visit and Like us on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/AircraftWraps
Check our our Instagram photos - here

Please note, emails sent to hotmail are being delivered to Junk .
Old 04-29-2016, 05:40 PM

Default RV8 Complete 3M series 1080 vinyl wrap

Used Rustoleum Sail Gloss Blue Paint for spars, spinner, and gear leg access plates. Everything else white and blue vinyl. Cost? Less than $2000.00, more like $1700, for everything including tools. Scratches and nicks easily, but the repair is pretty simple.

Better than a pro paint job? No. But very nice. I am extremely happy with the results.

The picture is from my vinyl wrap blog which I hope to complete...some day

Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Has anyone ever done or considered doing a wrap on their RV as an alternative to painting? If so, please post some photos. I'm curious if this is a viable alternative; cost, wearability, weight, etc. Here's an example I pulled off youtube showing the process done on a larger plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-PjCuLbOo
Get a professionally primed and painted base and then add the vinyl graphics to accent . I won't be able to post photos of mine til October , that's how far out the reservation for a spot with the pro paint is. That's My two cents, opinion value, new pro paint cost including stripping of original nasty paint by other about 600,000 x my 2 cents for a total of...well you figure it out. Moral of story, do it right the first time or leave it alone like VLAD.and just spend the money on fuel.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 AM

Wrapped (by myself and several unskilled helpers) over very clean alclad aluminum. Most, not all, fiberglass parts were later colour matched to the vinyl. You'll have to look pretty close to find out which is which. No signs of lifting, Not perfect (neither is paint) not forever (neither is paint). About 100 man hours so this was way faster than paint. About 2500 Can dollars with lots of vinyl left over. Most people can't tell it's not paint. Not as hard as paint. No chemicals, respirators, special rooms, lights to apply or remove. No runs, orange peel or irregular metallic component (the black is metallic). Easier to repair than paint. Relatively easy skills to acquire. Fun because nothing else changed the look of the project so dramatically or quickly. Air-tight.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada

Last edited by Bevan : 04-30-2016 at 02:19 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM

Wrapped in 1080 film, no real issues other than not happy with cowl wrapping. Tends to bubble from exhaust heat will probably repaint. Wheel pants and spinner painted.
Waiting to decide on graphics for side of aircraft.
Is very light when compared to other painted RV's. Saves fuel and much lower cost.
Big advantage to builders with small space is can be done during the build and stored. Much easier than doing on the aircraft.

O-320
Dual p-Mag
Airflow Performance Fuel Injection
Harzell CS Prop
Kotuku Aerospace Avionics

http://www.kotuku.aero

Last edited by sportflyer : 05-02-2016 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Updated signature with details