Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Southeast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 AM

Default Pilot Mtn strip

Vlad, I'm familiar with the little strip, but it's a we bit short for an RV. Was a guy with an ultralight there for a while, and it's doable in a Cub..pretty good slope to it also! I shot some approaches in my old T Craft before, but never landed there.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
Vlad, I'm familiar with the little strip, but it's a we bit short for an RV. Was a guy with an ultralight there for a while, and it's doable in a Cub..pretty good slope to it also! I shot some approaches in my old T Craft before, but never landed there.
It looks groomed and marked with cones Bill. At least 1,000 feet plenty for RV9. Even better if sloped. Do you know the owner? Must be a magnificent view of Pilot Mountain from there.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:36 PM

Vlad,
I will pursue permissions from owner and advise. The Pilot Mtn.. had visits from C-17 today, so I may have to advise nationality of visitor..but probably just say it's celebrity pilot.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:49 PM

Bill,

Thank you for hosting such an enjoyable fly-in. The beer exchange was the icing on the cake!

I can be a little long winded in my trip write-ups - for anyone interested in more pictures from the fly-in and my continued trip to the Outer Banks, check it out here:

http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1297
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Nice pics Mike, you should probably wipe your plane down after flying up the beach you would be surprised how much salt you can pick up when the wind is howling out of the NE like it has been for the past week and a half which I'm sure made for a challenging approach and landing at KFFA . I've lived there for 25 yrs and I'm the lone RV guy at MQI. I always pop in to KFFA and see if any RVs around and you would be surprised at how many I see. note , I have a studio apt at my house if any RV people want to have an over night on the Outer Banks, my compliments. Just check with me prior as its rented during the season most weekends. Sorry I missed the the fly in looked like a great time.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM

It looks like a great time was had by all!

We had some guests drop in for the weekend and he just had back surgery so he couldn't get in or out of the plane.

Next year!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-18-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullojm1 View Post
Mike, nice write up. On your final route home (just SE of W42) you past by my farm (53VG).

As for those "Amazon solar farms", those are most likely tomato fields. That is reflective poly that covers the rows. It can create an interesting thermal until the tomato plants fill out
Old 04-18-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
As for those "Amazon solar farms", those are most likely tomato fields. That is reflective poly that covers the rows. It can create an interesting thermal until the tomato plants fill out
Glen, thanks for the correction - I've updated my blog. I do still find it interesting Amazon is installing a large solar farm on the eastern shore of VA:

https://communityenergysolar.com/project/amazon-solar/
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullojm1 View Post
find it interesting Amazon is installing a large solar farm on the eastern shore of VA: https://communityenergysolar.com/project/amazon-solar/
I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Technically Amazon is not installing the solar project. Dominion power is with support from Amazon. Then, Amazon purchases power local to its data centers but using a PPA against the solar production of the new installation. its a bit like carbon credits.
FYI: Microsoft is partially finding a 20MW solar project on the Eastern Shore of VA.
It was great to see you (and your time airplane) at 8A7. Hope to see you at other events this year!

Last edited by humptybump : 04-18-2016 at 02:53 PM.