Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strahler13 View Post
I had a similar problem. Checked, then replaced wires to the alternator. Intermittent problem would not go away. Met Bill from B&C at Oshkosh. He told me to replace the alternator plug. I told him I checked that and the wires were fine. He said REPLACE THE PLUG. He actually gave me a new plug. We replaced the plug and no further problems.
Was it the same plug, just new? Did it have silicone plugs surrounding the wires where they enter the plug?

RV-7
Old 05-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Default Plan Power Plug

These could be available at the local auto parts store. I got a couple on-line at www.repairconnector.com Part no. RC1650, $12.99ea.. It comes with a 6" pigtail and three butt connectors. However, the wire is PVC, not Tefzel. Could come in handy in a pinch. I potted mine with grey, sensor-safe RTV.
You can find them other places also. Google "hitachi Nippon denso oval plug".

VAF#812

Last edited by TX7A : 05-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:54 PM

I just called PP to get a replacement plug and was told to order part number 11-1010 from aircraft spruce.. I went there only to find this plug and 3 wires to $105.00. what?...can that really be.?

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Finishing Kit, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2 on deck.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu1975 View Post
I just called PP to get a replacement plug and was told to order part number 11-1010 from aircraft spruce.. I went there only to find this plug and 3 wires to $105.00. what?...can that really be.?
At which point I would simply giggle and mutter "Wanna bet?" and head to the workshop.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:08 PM

Yea...I don't plan on making that purchase..

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Finishing Kit, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2 on deck.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 PM

This is also a timely thread for me.
I have a PP 60 amp alternator with the idiot light. My ammeter only shows bus amps, not total amps. My PC680 battery is only about 6 months old.
Recently I notice the idiot light showing dimly at about 1200rpm and 14 amps.
At 28 amps the light is full red but the voltage shows 13v.
At 28amps and 2100-2400 rpm the light is on dimly even though the voltage is showing 13.9-14.1
First thought was loose belt, and it was a little loose but I adjusted it to the high end of the range and no change.

It doesn't make sense to me that I show plenty of voltage to be charging the battery and yet have a red light on. How is that idiot light wired exactly?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 AM

After 550 hours I just broke the middle wire in the connector housing. Of course it would have to happen in IMC. I ordered a new crimpable connector from these guys: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1705

Paige
Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeHoffart View Post
After 550 hours I just broke the middle wire in the connector housing. Of course it would have to happen in IMC. I ordered a new crimpable connector from these guys: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1705

Paige
Outstanding! Thanks, in spare time I have been looking for these parts separately. Good parts to have on hand. The inserts eliminate the wiggle and need to pot the ends!

RV-7
Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Default Amps went to ZERO!

Well, First off...Thanks Dan for this post! I didn't think I would have to use it, but on my way to Bowling Greens this week on the way up from FL my ammeter went to ZERO

It would have been nice if the builder set his VP100 alarm to 13 volts instead of 12! I was sitting fat dumb and happy drinking from my juice box and then my scan looked at the volts going down to 12.4v and surprised me!

I cycled my alternator switch on my VP100 OFF and then back ON with a successful reset. Battery back in charging state and all was good again.

Stopped for fuel in Albany, GA....took off and then an hour from KBWG it goes back to ZERO

Another successful reset and no other issues.

Once in KBWG I pulled off the cowling, plled the pulled off and then gently squeezed the 3 sockets to be a little tighter. It seemed to feel better when I plugged it back in.

Engine run confirmed good connection. Departed back home 4.5 hours with no issues all flight!

Seems like I will be changing out the plug with a new one to be sure.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingJack View Post
Well, First off...Thanks Dan for this post! I didn't think I would have to use it, but on my way to Bowling Greens this week on the way up from FL my ammeter went to ZERO

It would have been nice if the builder set his VP100 alarm to 13 volts instead of 12! I was sitting fat dumb and happy drinking from my juice box and then my scan looked at the volts going down to 12.4v and surprised me!

I cycled my alternator switch on my VP100 OFF and then back ON with a successful reset. Battery back in charging state and all was good again.

Stopped for fuel in Albany, GA....took off and then an hour from KBWG it goes back to ZERO

Another successful reset and no other issues.

Once in KBWG I pulled off the cowling, plled the pulled off and then gently squeezed the 3 sockets to be a little tighter. It seemed to feel better when I plugged it back in.

Engine run confirmed good connection. Departed back home 4.5 hours with no issues all flight!

Seems like I will be changing out the plug with a new one to be sure.
Good you got back ok.

http://www.driftmotion.com/category-s/1847.htm

Has (separately) the 090 sumitomo terminals, connector housing and small plugs for stain relief in the back holes. This way you can reuse your tefzel wire to the plug. They ship pretty quickly. Genuine Sumitomo too. Yes, for the ND/PP alternator.

RV-7