Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Decisions?

Vlad,

How have you found your new strips? Or, how do you decide to visit some place you haven't been before.
Do you pick randomly,,,,or talk to someone about a new destination?
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Default grass strips

Vlad,
When were you at Roy E Ray (5R7) ? I live on the airport and would liked to have met you. If you get back this way let me know you are coming. I'll take you to get some awesome seafood rather than hotdogs. I also have hangar room and an apartment if you need somewhere to stay.
Tom Wood
N184TW
Old 12-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I believe there is a large contingent of RV's over in Decatur at Pryor Field around the corner from Moontown. Did some transition training there when Dan was still flying his 9A. Vlad is our flying ambassador for sure. If I only get to fly a quarter of what he does I will be happy. Moontown is on my bucket list.
Yes, there are several RV's based at Pryor Field, just 25 miles west of Moontown. Dan (the CFII and RV9A builder/pilot) and I used to share a hangar.

Vlad, let us know next time and I'm sure several members of the TVRVBG would like to meet you.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 12-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

Vlad, you are always welcome to stop by WI69.

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Old 12-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypratt View Post
Vlad,

How have you found your new strips? Or, how do you decide to visit some place you haven't been before.
Do you pick randomly,,,,or talk to someone about a new destination?
Jay it was a random pick until almost all public grass strips within 200 NM of my home base were visited. Then on my longer x country flights I started planning one or two different non paved runways. I study the runway and obstructions then do a closer pass uncoordinated looking at the centerline. Sometimes it doesn't look/smell good and I don't land. Sometimes I make calls to privately owned airports but these calls don't yield much. The majority of airport owners don't want a stranger on their property. Guilty I landed on a couple fields without any hangars or homes on them but only after researching for some time including multiple flyovers. I found those fields on Piper Cub forums you are a member there.

BTW the idea of landing on different grass strips was partially instigated by you. Do you remember several years ago you were asking here how to fly more and where to go? From that remark of yours I decided to create several plans for years ahead where to go and what to do. Islands, ice, sand, grass, airport museums, abandoned fields and much more. Thanks for stimulation Jay!

Never landed at a heliport though. Any ideas where and how it could be done?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWoodrv8 View Post
Vlad,
When were you at Roy E Ray (5R7) ? I live on the airport and would liked to have met you. If you get back this way let me know you are coming. I'll take you to get some awesome seafood rather than hotdogs. I also have hangar room and an apartment if you need somewhere to stay.
Tom Wood
N184TW

Tom thanks. Due to some unfriendly weather in TX we decided to alter the route and headed to the Gulf shore near Mobile. We settled with a crew car at Foley and had almost an hour of daytime to kill. Flew to Dauphin Island then to your airfield. Wow you guys are keeping it in great shape. It's very wide and long. I will let you know when I am going your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
Yes, there are several RV's based at Pryor Field, just 25 miles west of Moontown. Dan (the CFII and RV9A builder/pilot) and I used to share a hangar.

Vlad, let us know next time and I'm sure several members of the TVRVBG would like to meet you.
Don it was a deviation from the plan otherwise I would notify. I know where you live

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertahegy View Post
Vlad, you are always welcome to stop by WI69.

Roberta

On the bucket list Roberta. August 2nd/3rd?

Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
<SNIP>Don it was a deviation from the plan otherwise I would notify. I know where you live <SNIP>
Oooh, a Russian knows where I live. Sixty years ago when I was a little boy, I never would have thought such was possible.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 12-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Finding grass strips

Using skyvector.com, click on airports. Using NY State for an example, enter any airport identifier and go to the page for that airport. At the top of the page will be an option for "all airports in NY State. Click on that and you will find a list of MANY airports. Skip the ones with three letter identifiers.
The remaining airports will include many with only grass and many paved with secondary grass runway. MANY of these airports are not listed on sectional chart or even state airport charts. Quite a few are abandoned or unuseable. I would guess there are at least 100 useable grass runways in NY State alone. One example is Downsville NY. 2700' manicured grass strip built in the 40's. listed as private but I think a call to the owner would result in permission to land. VERY tall trees at north end. Nothing there, about a two mile walk to town.
I have not been back to NY for several years, but for many years I amused myself by seeking out strange new grass runways.
When you look at the page for a specific airport you can use the satellite view to find the exact location.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 AM

See you made it safe. Come back to Moontown anytime Mark
Old 03-27-2016, 04:40 PM

Talking 2016 Grass season is open at WV22

New grass strip in WV thanks for the invite Sheriff! Nice vicinities.

Long and wide runway. Plenty of parking for a hundred airplanes. These two RVs are not talking to each other wondering why?

Hi Sheriff!

Nice cave!

There is something more beautiful then airplanes.

We spent about an hour visiting. After I left that little polished thing with red trim chased me out of state. Not at 420 knots but pretty close good run Jim!

Thanks Chris for having us!