Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Nice John, are you doing or have done anything to the carbon fiber like clear coat or anything? I have the CF panel also and wondering if anything should be done for the "natural" look?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
You should at least put a clear on that has UV protection in it. The resin used in the CF isn't UV stabilized, and could yellow after prolonged time under direct sun.

I wanted the natural look so I had mine shot with a satin clear.
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 11-29-2015, 07:14 PM

What should be used to clean the cf-- is acetone too harsh? Mineral spirits, or just scuff with scotch bright? Also did you use a rattle can or an automotive type clear?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
Old 11-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Nice John, are you doing or have done anything to the carbon fiber like clear coat or anything? I have the CF panel also and wondering if anything should be done for the "natural" look?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
Funny story.... I clear coated it using product supplied directly from Aerosprt. Followed the recommended procedures to the letter. Took quite a few times to get a nice glassy finish. Paint guns are fickle. We sent the panel to Stein to get built, when they were working on it, the finish started to come off. Like huge flakes.... Turns out, Aerosport had a couple batches of panels that got made with the wrong mold release agent. Stein said it had happened to them before where they had painted a customer's panel only to have the paint come off. In the end, they ended up stripping and re clearing the panel and quadrant insert... I must say they did a better job than I did!! I cleared everything else in the plane myself and it came out pretty good. But you can tell which parts I did and the ones done by Stein
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Chief
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

Race Coordinator STOL Drag coming to Reno, 2019
"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
Old 11-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelabel View Post
Funny story.... I clear coated it using product supplied directly from Aerosprt. Followed the recommended procedures to the letter. Took quite a few times to get a nice glassy finish. Paint guns are fickle. We sent the panel to Stein to get built, when they were working on it, the finish started to come off. Like huge flakes.... Turns out, Aerosport had a couple batches of panels that got made with the wrong mold release agent. Stein said it had happened to them before where they had painted a customer's panel only to have the paint come off. In the end, they ended up stripping and re clearing the panel and quadrant insert... I must say they did a better job than I did!! I cleared everything else in the plane myself and it came out pretty good. But you can tell which parts I did and the ones done by Stein
This Funny story about Aerosport using the wrong release agent is not true. I am not sure who started this but this is false. We have not changed release agent since the first panel was made. We never had a batch of panels that had the wrong release on them. The problem is poor prep when preparing the carbon for clear coat or paint.

You must first wipe the panel down a couple times with a good wax and grease remover before you ever start to sand on the carbon. If you start to sand first any release that was not removed will get into the carbon and cause problems.

Also you need to use a good automotive clear that will work over carbon fiber.
There are some that are better than others. Also when clear coating carbon or fiberglass you need to also if possible use an adhesion promoter because
there is no primer.

Geoff
Aerosport Products
http://aerosportproducts.com
Rans S21
Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosport1 View Post
This Funny story about Aerosport using the wrong release agent is not true. I am not sure who started this but this is false. We have not changed release agent since the first panel was made. We never had a batch of panels that had the wrong release on them. The problem is poor prep when preparing the carbon for clear coat or paint.

You must first wipe the panel down a couple times with a good wax and grease remover before you ever start to sand on the carbon. If you start to sand first any release that was not removed will get into the carbon and cause problems.

Also you need to use a good automotive clear that will work over carbon fiber.
There are some that are better than others. Also when clear coating carbon or fiberglass you need to also if possible use an adhesion promoter because
there is no primer.

Geoff
Aerosport Products
http://aerosportproducts.com
Actually Geoff, it was Stein himself who told me of the issue that he had spoken to you about. He said it had happened on a few panels.
Also note, that as I mentioned, I used clear provided by you guys and followed the prep and spray to the letter. Didn't have the issue on the other pieces like the overhead and center console, just the panel. I prepped and sprayed all of them identical over the same couple of days with the same product.
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Chief
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

Race Coordinator STOL Drag coming to Reno, 2019
"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 PM

Default My new RV-10 Panel

I just received my new panel. Let me know what you think. Yes I know it's red. Lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atacamandy View Post
Let me know what you think. ]
Rather bold
RV-10 N7631T 820hr Sold
RV-8 700+hr
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 03-27-2016, 09:20 AM

Well, that would certainly keep MY head out of the cockpit while flying. It's not the red, it's the yellow. I'd have swapped that out for black. Or possibly red. But the layout is good and that logo in the bottom of the photo tells me you're going to be very happy.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 03-27-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I just received my new panel. Let me know what you think. Yes I know it's red. Lol.
Absolutely love it! Way to go!!
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Default PMA450

Quote:
Any chance that you would allow me to put this on our PS Engineering's Facebook page?