- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 PM

Default I found 'em...

Sections 1-5 were indeed in a separate binder, chock full of secret, Tony Bingellis-type airplane builder stuff.

Hopefully one day soon my shop space will be completed and the construction workers gone. In the mean time, 2016 VAF double-donation sent in tonight, because this site is easily worth 4x to me what Doug asks for, and by sending him 2x, we both get a bargain. Win-win.

-Stormy
Old 01-21-2016, 12:36 PM

Default creeping along...

Half the workshop floor was epoxied yesterday with the Rustoleum product from Lowes. Results were okay (we didn't grind the concrete first) but the odor in the house was awful the entire day. I really anticipated more airspace isolation between shop space and living space upstairs with the mini-split HVAC and the fully finished walls and ceiling. Instead it was like the painters had applied the epoxy in the living room - the volatiles in that stuff are just like spray paint - xylene, toluene, with a hint of coffee, leather and spice. Which reminds me, I suspect the shop is not going to double well as a cigar lounge as far a the upstairs occupants are concerned.

Here's the 10 on the half that just got painted. It's in the way, but they are working around it best they can.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Thats awesome Bill!
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 03-23-2016, 09:22 AM

Default the compressor enclosure was a success

The shop ambient noise level measures 30-33dB on my iPhone app when the people upstairs are not walking overhead - quiet as a library.

Fire up the Quincy 60 gallon beast and it goes up a bit.

But that's with the closet door open

Close the door tight and behold!

You can actually have a conversation over top of this thing in the middle of the shop space without raising your voice. I'll take 18dB NRR. Yes, indeed.

This shop is getting ready for action. Time to move on to the next thing: removing blue plastic - while it will still come off without a torch.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM

Default Since my project came with two dollies

I will be giving one away to a good home.

I can tell I really prefer the wooden one that is 10" narrower than the steel one and sits more out of the way of the ankles and shins:

The welded steel dolly is wider, arguably sturdier since it bolts to the spar carry-through and clamps to the (temporary) step tubes. The fuse simply sets on the padded parts of the wooden dolly and can slide around a bit, but I think it will be okay till she's on the gear if I'm careful.

If anyone wants the welded steel dolly, it's first come first served free for the asking at my house.

-Stormy
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Just a thouhgt....

That steel dolly is a great start to a roll around work bench.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
That steel dolly is a great start to a roll around work bench.
Or a welding table. But my shop already has two Harbor Fright workbenches and four EAA 1000 24x72" benches, and is getting a Ron Schreck-style tool cart and a 4-in-one rolling power tool bench for grinder, sander, drill press, vise...

As big as it is, it's getting crowded in here.

Figured I'd bless someone with the steel dolly since I really have no need for two. At 58" wide it's no small thing itself.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM

Default slowly getting down to business here

Inventory being taken of what I've got, hardware being identified, sorted, "Van's bags" being opened and separated by actual components for later retrieval. Straightway I find myself the proud owner of many different types of blind rivets, some in huge quantities and others just a handful, most already out of their factory packaging and not clearly labeled. Many look familiar from my -6A building days in the 90's. Others not so much.

Is there a good pictorial resource for telling one type of "pop" rivet from another? Google images didn't seem to offer what I was looking for.

Thanks, anyone!

-Bill
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM

IIRC, the only way I could determine the ID of a lot of the hardware in Van's baggies was trying to match the random quantities to counts shown on the parts list. It's really great to know that Van's has remained consistent over the past decade in their parts packing/inventory process............... .....
Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post

Is there a good pictorial resource for telling one type of "pop" rivet from another? l
Identification chart in Section 5 of the construction manual can be useful for this...

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")