Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Did you put a little fillet of sealant around the base of the line after re-installing it? (I believe it is specified in the static kit instructions)

If that is done the line will not come off.
Yes, I put a bead of RTV around the line to hold it in place - same as I had before, yet it came loose from the original install.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:17 PM

To close the loop on this - after fixing the line that had come off one of my static ports, my Dynon-calculated TAS agrees with the 3-leg GPS calculated TAS within 1.4 knots at cruise speed and better than that at slow flight, close enough for the girls I go out with...

I'm showing 143 knots TAS at 67% power and 7500' now, without wheel pants and gear fairings.

I'm also showing 140 knots TAS at 46% power and 17,500' burning 6gph - love this 9A wing!!
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 03-10-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Thanks for closing the loop on this. I'm happy you found the problem, and that it was an easy fix.

There are quite a few folks that are patting themselves on the back for having built a very fast RV who really just have a static system leak, which is causing the IAS to read too high.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
Thanks for closing the loop on this. I'm happy you found the problem, and that it was an easy fix.

There are quite a few folks that are patting themselves on the back for having built a very fast RV who really just have a static system leak, which is causing the IAS to read too high.
I guess that works just fine, as long as you simply never get your pitot/static system checked.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Easy check

First, I subscribe to the belief that the NTPS 3-way spreadsheet is best. Kevin Horton gave us that, I think. Thanks, Kevin.

However, GRT says to calibrate their instrument to TAS by finding a heading where you are going straight up wind or as close as you can find it. GPS max and min are the way to measure that. Then you can average them and get a pretty accurate answer while in flight. When I did some simple trig on this I found that if your course is less than 5 degrees off the wind the error will probably be less than 1 mph.

Any time you are suspicious of your readings you can check them immediately this way and then do the 3-way for the rest, later. I suppose you could put that spreadsheet on a smart phone or tablet now, but we did n't have them when I was in phase one.
Paid $25.00 "dues" net of PayPal cost for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (December).
This airplane is for sale: see website. my website

Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Actually this was my original paper on the subject. It certainly would have gone unnoticed without Kevin Horton who introduced it to other test pilots during a conference, the NTPS picked it up from there. I had submitted it to Kitplanes but was rejected.

My objective was to get the idea across as simply and as clearly as I could.

http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/rvlinks...y/TAS_FNL4.pdf
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Wow, great economy at altitude, Greg! Maybe an O2 setup will be my Christmas gift to myself...or possibly sooner. I'm used to 5500'-6500', so right now 8500' is a whole new experience.

I'm glad you found the leak and the error is very low...well done.

My IAS reads about 3 percent low, so static system is probably sealing well. The shop on the field is booked up on pitot/static checks for a while, but I'll get it done eventually. After the initial RTV seal on the static ports (Van's rivet style), I applied mini volcanoes of extra RTV on the outside...none too pretty, but I'm sure they'll stay put.

Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart

Last edited by rightrudder : 03-11-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM

Default IAS Low

OK from what I read, a static problem typically causes the airspeed to read too high. Mine is the opposite. It reads LOW. I checked the static system for leaks. Found and fixed a minor leak. But it is still reading LOW by about 5-10 knots. I have BOTH a steam airspeed and a Dynon airspeed (D-100) They both read the same +-1 or 2 knots. IF, in flight, I reach up and disconnect the static from the Dynon, both airspeed jumps up approx 10 knots. Kinda of like using the Alternate Static Source. (And the altitude goes up by about 150 feet )

I have the flat static ports installed both sides about 4' aft of the rear bulkhead. I'm thinking that it must be something about the ports acting wonky in that location.

Thoughts????

Mark Klepper
N1075
Old 05-31-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark960 View Post
OK from what I read, a static problem typically causes the airspeed to read too high. Mine is the opposite. It reads LOW. I checked the static system for leaks. Found and fixed a minor leak. But it is still reading LOW by about 5-10 knots. I have BOTH a steam airspeed and a Dynon airspeed (D-100) They both read the same +-1 or 2 knots. IF, in flight, I reach up and disconnect the static from the Dynon, both airspeed jumps up approx 10 knots. Kinda of like using the Alternate Static Source. (And the altitude goes up by about 150 feet )

I have the flat static ports installed both sides about 4' aft of the rear bulkhead. I'm thinking that it must be something about the ports acting wonky in that location.

Thoughts????

Mark Klepper
N1075
Sounds like your static port is in an area of "HIGH" pressure instead of the more typical "LOW" pressure area. Does the error increase the faster you go? This is a quick and easy way of verifying a static port location error. If so then your can either move your static port to a better location or put a wedge in FRONT of the current static port. This lowers the pressure sensed at the static port. Opposite of what we typically find.
2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
Sounds like your static port is in an area of "HIGH" pressure instead of the more typical "LOW" pressure area. Does the error increase the faster you go? This is a quick and easy way of verifying a static port location error. If so then your can either move your static port to a better location or put a wedge in FRONT of the current static port. This lowers the pressure sensed at the static port. Opposite of what we typically find.

Yes it appears to be a larger error, the faster I'm going. Your thought makes sense. I like the idea of using a wedge. Maybe I will need to move the static ports, but I hate to move or add new ports til I'm sure that will solve the problem.

Mark Klepper
N1075

Last edited by mark960 : 05-31-2016 at 09:58 PM.