RMK NXT FCST BY 270600Z=

RV7 C-GLLT - FLYING
RV7 C-GZZY- NOTFLYING
2017 June RV7 Emp in works!
VAF SUPPORTER
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Old 02-28-2016, 06:03 PM

Talking 2016 Winter Season is closed

With all that weather swinging from cold to hot overnight I am well behind on ice landings. The only option this year was Mo's flyin on Ottawa River and there I went on a sunny NJ morning.

RV cockpits don't have adequate heat and I had to put toe warmers in flight. Now I can go cold places.

Stopped at Rome, NY for gas and customs call. What a nice place with cheap fuel and royal treatment. KRME stop by if you are in the vicinity. Top off at a self service pump ($3.86) and your ramp fee will be waived.

I called US Customs from Rome and asked to be cleared in two hours. (Canadian CBP was notified a day prior). Customs supervisor was surprised to know that I am calling from US she barraged me with questions then said we will see soon you dear

Canada met me with a MVFR over point of border crossing.

I deviated a bit and in 20+ minutes I was at Mo's.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:16 PM

That was WINDY! Windy on ice is no joke!

No wonder there weren't many airplanes there today. I landed and managed to stop at the end of ice runway. Then a rodeo started. I was unable to turn around due to strong xwind, frozen castering nose wheel and relatively worn high pressured tires. Before I knew I was out of the runway behind icy snowbanks trying to taxi.

That was quite a show. Airboss was in constant communication and could dispatch a recovery crew at any moment at my request. I was slowly moving back making a left doughnut any time the wind gusted.

The rodeo finally ended with all three wheel pants cracked. Mark was watching and worried. Finally made it to parking all stressed up.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:23 PM

After deplaning all worries went away

I remember I was happy like these kids 40 something years ago.

Mark's mini Bonanza.

The food was great and food was plenty. Tim Horton's coffee is the best and hottest in the world! They even had a replacement prop for me in case of a strike.

Good time was had talking and making new friends. What a great bunch of folks are the Canadians I love coming there.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM

I spent about an hour at Mo's. Time to depart. Here Mark goes with his Canadian Joy.

He had no trouble to depart. Rocked the wings and disappeared.

I was the last to leave the place. Fought P-factor to the end. 30 minutes later crossed Lawrence river to US side.

I was running couple minutes earlier and asked a just landed Pilatus if there is any customs vehicle by the pumps. He confirmed a few in sight and I landed.

Officers were shocked when learned where I went and for how long. The clearance procedure was the shortest I've ever had. I closed the canopy and ran away. The Pilatus followed.

Two hours later I was in sunny New Jersey again. Mission accomplished.

At least I didn't have the experience of my close relative from Astana, Kazakhstan.

See you all here next winter season!

Last edited by Vlad : 02-28-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your wheel pants. Now you know why we take ours off in Canada during our nice winters. I wanted to attend but chicken out at the last minute because of the wind. Glad you made it. You were one of only 2 RV that made it.

Michel
Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

He had no trouble to depart. Rocked the wings and disappeared.

My first experimental ride ever was in a Davis!! It was also the first for hand propping, aileron rolls and just plain fun flying. I distinctly remember having to move an RV3 out of the shared T hangar to fly the Davis, man I wanted to fly that RV and that got me where I am today. Thanks for the memory jog!
Old 02-29-2016, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the pics and write up Vlad. I don't know you very well, but from a short ride with you last November I do know that a little wind doesn't bother you!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 AM

It was terrific seeing Vlad again this year. I'm just sorry he had to take the overland route to get to the parking area. Talk about a rough taxi!

Vald - you're welcome to invade any time - just give a call and we'll try to plow a little more snow so you'll have a place to turn around... :-)

Andy - I'm glad Vlad's photos brought back some good memories for you. Like you, my first ride in a homebuilt airplane was in a Davis. THIS Davis, to be precise, and it happened several months after I had purchased it, if you can believe that! They are an absolute hoot to fly. They're also a very tough airframe that requires little in the way of maintenance, and doesn't break easily so unscheduled maintenance is minimal. While I'm building our other airplane, the Davis is a terrific way to keep my pilot skills from atrophying. I don't know what I'll do when our other airplane is ready to fly - it's more than a little difficult to part with an airplane that's as much fun and as cheap to own as the Davis.

BTW, this ain't Kansas, Andy. Come on up to the "other" Ottawa for a visit!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 AM

Default New RV Product opportunity

Thanks for the photos! I can see the opportunity for Mig 27 style mud flaps on the mains and Mig 29 nose wheel bikini for winter use and muddy runways.