Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Default GO SEE IT!

Group,
Be it from the ground or from the air GO SEE THE TOTAL ECLIPSE! My Father and I traveled to Goldendale Wa. to see the last total to hit the continental US in '79. The event was close to indescribeable. We lucked out and the weather cleared 1/2 hour before the event! (it was February) The complete effect of a total eclipse is awe inspiring. The entire town was booked up and we slept in the car at the Goldendale airstrip! (We froze our behinds off.) A great adventure. This is by far the one event that did not disappoint, absolutely NOTHING compares. In the natural realm anyway. Beg barrow or steal a way to get there, I know I will if I can.
Bill Jepson
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM

I flew up to see the '99 eclipse over the English Channel, and was one of the few people to get an uninterrupted view above the overcast at 8000'.
The French unhelpfully banned VFR flight for half an hour either side of the event.

It's a pretty special experience to see with your own eyes. Photos can't capture the light and colour of the sunlight refracting around the edge of the moon.

Interestingly, I didn't spot any other aircraft around until totality, when nav-lights could be seen all around.

A gaggle of Concordes flew a charter following the path of totality and managed to double their time in the eclipse. I reckoned that I might add 10 seconds by chasing it, but probably had a better view through the canopy.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

Is this event going to coincide with the Homecoming? That would be cool. Rich and I saw a 3+ minute one on a cruise in the Carribe in 1998.

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Old 08-23-2015, 01:27 AM

Reviving a long-since dead thread...

Eclipse path:
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogl...21Tgoogle.html

This eclipse has really been my drop dead date for getting the RV finished and through Phase 1. Having the RV and being able to reposition as necessary to avoid bad weather in Aug 2017 would be a huge advantage over trying to view this with only a car for transportation.

I'm curious if someone has already done the work of building a list of every airport in the US INSIDE the path of totality, preferring locations with 2+ minutes of totality. I'm ignoring any location with just a partial eclipse. Luckily, the nearest spot along the path of totality is only about 45 minutes away in "RV time", but poor weather could require much longer flights to reach somewhere without clouds on the day of the eclipse. Having the airplane with you also allows one to view from above a cloud layer as was mentioned up thread.

Any airport in the CONUS is game for viewing this event! I'm going to experience totality! It's just a matter of where...
Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 AM

My thoughts are to go to Smiley Creek in Idaho. It's a great field with a smooth grass runway. High elevation but clear approaches and right in the path of totality.

I guess I won't be the only one with this idea so it may be best to get in early. A little hiking around the Sawtooth mountains wouldn't go amiss either.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:44 PM

Here's one list of airports close to the center of the path of totality. These are certainly not the only airports, just ones I picked at the edge of
each state. A flight plan with all of these airports roughly describes the path of the eclipse. This all according to the interactive map on this site:
http://eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

I was thinking of booking a couple of hotels, one or two as backups. But the eclipse is around noon, plenty of time to get to airports with good
viewing in an RV from much of the country. At the very least, I think it would be easy on short notice (i.e., once the weather is known)
to find a room within 300 miles of the path, an easy flight to and from.

The center comes on shore at ~1717Z, and leaves the US at ~1846Z.

Flying during the eclipse would certainly be cool, but this would be my first total eclipse, and I don't want to be distracted by having to watch anything but the eclipse.

S12 S87 2U7 1U2 KJAC KCPR KTOR KAIA KGRI KFNB KSTJ KJEF K02 M30 KHVC M91 KMMI 1A5 KCEU KMKS

I was thinking Casper or Jefferson City.
It would be great if people could chime in on any airports that are recommended or to be avoided, and any local lodging options.

I guess the real question is, "Where are the good parties!"

cfrv9aproject.blogspot
Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up Hopkinsville, KY

I live in Hopkinsville, KY and right in the area of the most exposure. Hoping to be flying high (altitude) when it happens :-)

Here is a good site for info: http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Default 2017 Indpenendence Fly-In and Solar Eclipse

Monday, August 21, 2017 will be at the end of the Independence Fly-In / Van's Homecoming hosted by EAA 292 at 7S5. We are a mile, or so north of the center-line of the path of totality for the eclipse. The Fly-In will go from Friday-Sunday but plan on staying that extra day to watch the eclipse. Mark your calendars - August 18-21, 2017. We're just down the road from Van's, so stop there on the way, or the way back. More information will be available as we get closer to 2017.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Just confirming, 2017 vs 2016! Thanks.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:32 PM

Default Solar Eclipse 2017: high density traffic problem?

I was thinking of renting and piloting a C-172 to take family members up to share the eclipse experience over western Oregon. What sort of airborne traffic problems do you think can be expected? I'm imagining a hundred or more airplanes all jockeying for position, and then all of them descending to land shortly thereafter! What altitude do you think would be best to 1) minimize maneuver-to-avoid problems, and 2) see the eclipse? Thanks,

- Steven
1000+ RV3 hours (another one yesterday!)