What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen shroud RV-9A Carbon fiber after market?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Getting ready for the windshield install and the fiberglass layup. Buddies of mine in 7s and 9a said they have had people getting into the plane cracking the upper flange by the forward roll bar by pressing on it. My question is there a after market carbon fiber shroud that can be installed. I tried a search from my android phone but I'm finding the VAF "search " column is not working today. Vans building guide looks a little laxed in instructions for the glass lay up, is there a different site that you liked better for shroud layup? Thanks.
Ron in Oregon

I do have a little experience with a carbon shroud. I have a 9A with a complete carbon fiber canopy, a slider with a built-in roll bar and no frame. (Saved 11 pounds, BTW.) I have seen numerous people really stress the shroud, but it shows no sign of cracking, after eight years of use. I like the idea, and I don't think it would be hard to fabricate yourself. Bi-directional carbon lays up pretty much like glass, so have at it. Let us know how it works for you!

Bob

Whatever method you choose, tell passengers to grab the diagonal roll hoop brace when getting in. If they must touch the windscreen/fairing area, tell them to brace with an open hand on the plexi, forward of the fairing.

I put handles through the roll bar, able to hold full body weight to eliminate the need to put pressure on the windscreen lip.

Video

The early kits did not have the detailed instructions on many things.

Look on Vans website for the help videos on the RV14, there is a series where Scott prepares and does the canopy glassing. Very nice work, a lot more detailed than I had expected, just seeing it changed the way I do glass now.

Sorry, I will add a link when I find it. OK - 4 videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEEcnNJJys&list=PLsHxidYW7eS2bmEfPh-zuZCXn5TXngVlY

Last edited:
Thanks Doug, hey that sounds pretty special, launch next month,that use to be my line however you have a 2016. Good going buddy! I'll take that advise on the hand placement. Thx
Ron in Oregon

Hi Greg, Now I see them on vans website. Good idea, next week for sure. Are the handles pretty durable?

Ron in Oregon

Bill I got to say I watched all four video segments. That man has a lot of knowledge. Project was well detailed and I learned a lot! Thanks so much. Not sure how the sides and the top play out shape wise on my 9a but definitely feel pretty good about taking on the task.

Ron Sterba in Oregon

they have had people getting into the plane cracking the upper flange by the forward roll bar by pressing on it.

Yup. That is why on RV #5 I eliminated that fairing all together. A perfect but joint between windshield and canopy and a rubber seal. I think it looks better as well. Carbon fibre is going to be no different - people will grab and kick it and they get in and out.

If I can do it on a 6 you can do it on a 7/9.

Install the handles to get in and out and you're golden.

Last edited:
Hi Greg, Now I see them on vans website. Good idea, next week for sure. Are the handles pretty durable?

Ron in Oregon

I'm about 185, my uncle is about 225, we've both been in and out of the airplane more times that I can count using them, they are very durable. You have to be careful when you install them, for placement and angle to make sure you will clear your canopy and latch, but the actual install was a snap. Essentially you drill a large hole in the aft of the roll bar for the handle itself to pass through to the inside, and where it meets the forward inside edge of the roll bar you punch a small hole to run a screw in, through the rollbar and into the handle. This pins the handle and gives you 4 load points (2 screws, and 2 contact points in the aft holes) to spread your load. It also gives a very short lever arm on the handle itself which makes them very strong.

Bill I got to say I watched all four video segments. That man has a lot of knowledge. Project was well detailed and I learned a lot! Thanks so much. Not sure how the sides and the top play out shape wise on my 9a but definitely feel pretty good about taking on the task.

Ron Sterba in Oregon

Thanks Steve, glad you mentioned that on the flange, I had left mine ( front flange) long on the canopy, at this point I could and will make a butt joint between the two.
Thanks, Every RV after the first one gets better ideas incorporated.great idea.

Ron

Sheldon,your pictures, very nice ! sheet metal work on that front lower curved piece,wow, wish I could do that style sheet metal work. Looks like it was die pressed. Unfortunately I don't have a bender here. Have to head to the EAA chapter 18 miles away. When I was youngster and into "Play Dough" I was making everything. When I didn't like it, got squoooshed! Presto back to square one.

Thanks
Ron in Oregon

I sandwiched three or four layers of 8oz bid fiberglass between two layers of carbon fiber fabric. This is incredibly strong. Although I always tell passengers to either grab the diagonal brace or the roll bar from the underside, I have no qualms about them accidentally pushing down from the top. I've been flying for almost 4 years and am very glad I went the route I did. Another nice benefit, the black carbon fiber looks nice from the inside. No pigment required.

Hope this helps.

Ron... No machinery needed. A 2 X 4 and your edge bender/roller modified is all. (I used my wife's wood rolling pin to do some forming on the top windshield pieces to make it curved down some and match the metal strip on the canopy.) After forming,trimming & dressing the edges per normal... Both the upper and lower pieces are made in two half's with a splice plate covering the center butt joint... So far, I know of 4 planes done with this method.. Two I did, and two I just showed the builder how... There was an article in an early Van's RVator that showed this method... I simplified that and had good results.. My test pieces are the ones actually on the plane.. Sheldon

See the two tools here...

Modified my edge tool by adding the spare wheels for an 1/2 inch reach..

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UnlEjxQn4kOi8UQJnq_eI9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

2 X 4 cut as shown with witness marks here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G52ns_qgQfKbtKTWwWt5gtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wpGHX5L0D0CU3tKUO-oIvNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Well got to use my new handles on the roll bar today! There nice and firm. Feel good. Thanks. Sheldon,Steve and Gary, Appreciate all your words of wisdom, I'll sleep on it, but soon I'll make the decision.

Ron in Oregon

http://s456.photobucket.com/user/whittfic/media/Windscreen surround.jpg.html

One more for consideration. I made this from a layer of fibreglass twill and two layers of 400gm double bias carbon fibre. Filled, faired and finished with a layer of duratec for paint prep. The whole thing was then bonded into position with Sikaflex.

I extended the sides to seal the opening that is trimmed along the bottom of the canopy. I was initially a bit nervous about how vulnerable these strips might be, but not any more. With it bonded in place he whole surround is very stiff and strong and it would take a pretty severe kick to move or damage it.

No it's not smoothly faired in at the leading edge and this may not suit all tastes, but I am happy to take the 1 or 2 knot drag penalty. Maybe I can counter this by going to the gym and losing a few lbs :)

Clive Whittfield
Auckland
New Zealand

Last edited:
Clive that is absolutely beautiful ������������. That scround around the windscreen looks as professional as it can be. Wow. Write out the instructions for me, I used sikaflex on the slider so this would be a good match for my 9a. Course I'll have to side with ourriend about blending the front to the flat surface.

Those other pictures in your photo bucket of the plenum airspace cover for you engine is a fine work of art. Gee why not start selling these to us builders.? ?????����������������. Or a set of instructions and raw materials?

I'm just down the street from Vans, you going to be here soon?

Well done Cleve

Ron in USA. Oregon northwest coast.

RV 9 A

Fairing

When I laid up my faring I laid a bid of 9oz fiberglass around first then I laid 3 layers of carbon fiber over the roll bar then a couple more bids of fiberglass over that as needed after finishing of fairing I got two tubes of West Marine epoxy in the caulking tube that fits a caulking gun and filled the gap between the roll bar and the fairing on the inside underneath.Now you can pull or push on it or walk on it or jump up and down just for the fun of it.After that caulked around plex with 5200 and its holding up well.
Bob

Ron - The lay-up process is standard composite practice. I worked directly on the closed canopy, bridging all gaps with plastic packing tape. The main difference with what you see on the videos is that I left all aluminium and acrylic surfaces shiny smooth and applied wax and PVA to ensure that I could separate the newly made windscreen surround from the aircraft. Be sure to protect all surfaces that you don't want resin touching. Once it was layed-up I removed it and marked/trimmed to final shape (Mark 1 eyeball and tongue sticking out to one side to judge this!).

I then repositioned the trimmed part and clecoed in place (you can just see the holes in the photo and no, don't drill into the acrylic, just the aluminium). Filled, faired etc. and again removed for a final spray coat of Duratec. This is the layer that is finally sanded for painting and I found it was easier to do this part while at the bench.

Lot of dry fitting and sharpie marks to ensure correct positioning. I used a combination of cheap cargo straps, wedges of various shapes and sizes, and clecos through strips of angled aluminium to make sure everything was sitting properly. Make sure the prep work for the Sikaflex is done properly. I tend to get a bit carried away and use lots of fine-line masking tape to get a nice smooth bead at the joins.

Much as I would like to sell various bits and pieces to the Vans community, unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the Pacific Ocean. Freight costs kill it for me. I have already tried with the plenum but it was just getting too expensive. I even tried giving away the pattern for the plenum, hoping someone in the USA would take it on, but sadly no.

Visit to Vans and Boeing is on the bucket list...maybe next year.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Cleve, well I bought the carbon fiber today plus a new quart of West system epoxy 105 and 205 hardner. Mine was 2 years old at least. Getting closer. Thanks for the tips.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Hi Cleve, well I bought the carbon fiber today plus a new quart of West system epoxy 105 and 205 hardner. Mine was 2 years old at least. Getting closer. Thanks for the tips.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Ron or others,
Is there something one should know (any negatives) about using aged West system epoxy 105 and 205 hardener?

Kelly

Back