-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Amen to that, Lars. I went out to the airport this morning only minutes after Alfio and Shirley departed. Was expecting to spend some time on the tractor moving snow, but the wind had already done that for me. Looked mighty cold out there!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 PM

Default Survived a cold day

We've dealt with worse, but today was quite chilly. Amazing how much room can be used up in these RVs when wearing 4 layers of clothes.

Ready to launch.

Nice view of Mt. Washington. Winds aloft made for some interesting turbulence and currents.

Five RVs showed up for this frozen lake adventure. After some great clam chowder, we all headed back out to the ramp (iceberg?) Awesome plowjob by Steve

BUT WAIT! Is that a Russian fly-by?

Only two RV's make it to 2nd lake for the day. Note that most of the food places close before 3:30 at Alton Bay!

Glad to meet you all for a fun flying day!
-AO
Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Great to see all you guys again!

Alfio and Shirley, glad you guys made the trip despite being sniffed by CBP doggies! Thanks for this picture of Machine Man and me from this unique perspective!

This was a memorable trip for Machine Man, as it was his birthday flight! Someday I'll be as old as he!

It was memorable for me too, as this was my first long trip outside of my phase 1 area and through Bravo airspace to land on a Frozen lake in my other hometown in a plane I built myself! A very gratifying experience!

Jenny did very well despite a few bumps we had climbing out of the mountains!

Agent Orange and Allison blew past me like I was standing still on climbout. Great to see you guys too! I will plan another get together this summer as well.

Vlad and Dimitri, always a pleasure! Vlad that sled really screams, huh? 150 hosses under the hood!

See you all again soon!

Sorry that we couldn't make it to Alton Bay.

CJ
Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Talking Mooselookmeguntic. Season 4

It's winter time! Before we know it there will be the scorching heat of July and August. When Turbo comes from the South and brings big RV crowds to this remote place. Time to chisel out ice chocks. Time to go North it's only 3 hours flight!

In 1.7 hours the air-to-air frequency got busy. Flash Mob Squadron was closing on from three cardinal directions. I was the first one to arrive. Alfio just cleared US Customs and was 50 minutes out. Time to kill on a turn around a point.

Quick recon yielded good results. Ice runway is in excellent shape and a good wind on the nose.

Orange crew.

Canadian polar bears.

Commanding Officer (to the left) with his Ideology and Propaganda Chief (to the other left).

All PICs and most of the crews are here. Happy Birthday Machineman! Not every RVator could boast this kind of party on his BD!

After rather quick lunch it was time to depart. Low temperature and wind chill cooled our engines in spite of blankets over them.

Looking forward to Season 5 in 2016!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Forum Peruser

Default Vlad the professor

Vlad expands our cultural awareness. Many thanks, "friend I haven't met yet."

From Wikipedia...

"The name "Mooselookmeguntic" is an Abnaki word for "moose feeding place"; although a humorous legend states that a Native American was hunting moose in the area, and spotted one. The native had forgotten to load his rifle, but took the shot anyway. Thinking his rifle was damaged, he began yelling at the moose about his misfortune."
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Looks like a blast! Hopefully I can make it next year :thumbsup:

-Max

Last edited by RandomShallow : 02-17-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:18 PM

Default Great Sacandaga Lake, NY ice patrol

... and the verdict is; the ice is not thick enough for safe landing. Some ATVs drive closer to the shores but no heavier vehicles. It's been a warm winter in the Northeast.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 AM

I didn't land on a lake, but the runway at Cabin Creek (97MT) was slicker than I expected. Good thing for big rudders, as there was zero braking available. I could barely stand up when I got out of the plane.

Luckily the sun melted a lot before i had to take off that afternoon.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:17 AM

[quote=Vlad;949080]Could you elaborate on those Scott? The only on-ice events in Canada I know are organized by Kingston Ultralight Club http://kingstonultralightclub.ca/events/ are there any others?

Hi all !

I just checked event calendar for the Quebec Bush Pilot Association (www.apbq.com), here are some ice runway events planned for this winter:

1) Mo's Fly In 2016, on Feb 27: This is happening on the Ottawa River near Aylmer, approximately 1 mile west of Ottawa VOR

2) RVA Lac Poh?n?gamook Feb 26-28: It is the winter festival for this small community at the border of Quebec and Maine; a 100 ft X 2500 ft runway will be plowed on the Lake Poh?n?gamook
Contact Info : POH?N?GAMOOK, H?TEL DE VILLE 1309, rue Principale Poh?n?gamook (Qu?bec) G0L 1J0 CANADA T?l?phone: 418-863-7722 Url: http://pohenegamook.net/evenement/po...-couleur-2016/

3) RVA Lake ? Jim March 26: That is in the Lac St-Jean region, 32 Nm North of the city of Roberval. It is about 2.5 "Cessna flight hours" North of Montreal
Contact Info : Carl Lamothe: 418-480-5847 Christian Taillon: 418-671-0262 Restaurant: 418-274-6033
http://lacajim.ca/fr/

Here is a picture of Lac ? Jim last winter 2015

There are 10,000 frozen lakes in Quebec each winter. Lots of frozen runways to discover. We usually speak French and English, so no excuse to come visit Quebec ! (Plus the USD/CAD exchange rate is great now for US tourists...)

Au plaisir !

Martin
Beech Sundowner based at Mascouche (CSK3)
RV-8....well in construction
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 100%
Fuselage: 95%
Wings: 99% (Flaps remain to attach)
MD-RA Pre-closure inspection completed Dec 27, 2019
Entering Final Assembly Phase !
Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 AM

VLAD,

I fly a 7A out of S17 in Trenton SC, but have a home/camp at Great Sacandaga Lake. We are 7 miles north of the Bachelorville bridge. Was up there last summer with the RV and landed at Plateau Sky Ranch. Amazing to see the picture of home here on VAF!!