Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Ironic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
A quick update here. We've been talking to the FAA and it's definitely an encoding issue on their end that they'll be looking into deeper and will fix.

This is the 3rd or 4th time that SkyView pilots have found problems with the ADS-B data or configuration of the system as a whole. You guys are probably the biggest daily users of both the In and Out side of the system at the moment. The experimental community is basically finding and clearing the glitches for the rest of the fleet's benefit after 2020 . In fact we've often (including this time) been the only ones that let them know that there's a problem.
This is ironic and a little frustrating as the FAA ADSB implementation has been anything but friendly to the experimental community. While a little clearer now, the rules as initially rolled out were vague about how to be compliant in 2020 without a certified system. I think meeting the performance standard is now acceptable. Very pleased that Dynon is regularly in contact with them.

Question for Michael/tech support at Dynon: I understood earlier in the year that the FAA would stop activating the ADSB system for experimental systems that broadcast GPS signals with SIL=0 as earlier as the end of this year. Existing Skyview systems were apparently going to have a S/W upgrade to broadcast SIL>0 that would possibly get us through to 2020 (eventually would need SIL=2 but this would maintain ADSB activation into 2016 prior to having to upgrade the quality of our GPS inputs) Did I understand this correctly and is the current Skyview software upgraded to SIL>0? If not, when? Thanks for the update
RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 AM

Brent,
The FAA has delayed the change for SIL=0 devices until the end of January. Dynon has not yet released software to upgrade our systems to SIL>0, but we are on track to do so well before the FAA's change. We'll have a more detailed description soon.

--Ian @ Dynon
Old 12-18-2015, 10:06 AM

Default Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan1976 View Post
Brent,
The FAA has delayed the change for SIL=0 devices until the end of January. Dynon has not yet released software to upgrade our systems to SIL>0, but we are on track to do so well before the FAA's change. We'll have a more detailed description soon.

--Ian @ Dynon
Appreciate the quick reply. B
RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Dynon Frustration

Could the thread title be changed? Dynon did nothing wrong and has been very responsive and transparent. Title casts a negative connotation for Dynon.
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 12-18-2015, 10:25 AM

I agree with Bill Dicus. How about changing the thread title from "More frustration with Dynon" to "More Satisfaction with Dynon"?
Old 12-18-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
I agree with Bill Dicus. How about changing the thread title from "More frustration with Dynon" to "More Satisfaction with Dynon"?
Concur. They are getting a rap, they don't deserve.
No company is perfect, but the level of support and attention I have received from Dynon techs, over the last two years, has been stellar.

I will continue to use Dynon for my avionic needs.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:30 PM

To close the book on this:

The FAA has investigated and found they did improperly uplink a "SPECIAL NOTICE" NOTAM as a TFR. Dynon's system received a TFR over ADS-B with no way to tell it was anything but. On top of this, there was an error in the transmitted data with one of the points of the outline being over near Africa instead of in Florida. This caused different mapping systems to draw it differently (including not drawing it at all).

The error was only in ADS-B uplinks. Any device that got it's data any off the internet would not have seen this or if you called Flight Service they would not have had it as a TFR either.

One element that made this situation more obvious on SkyView than other systems is that our default settings shade the inside of TFR's red to make it clear you are inside a TFR. SkyView does have a TFR opacity adjustment in the map settings. If you prefer to only see outlines of TFRs and not have the interior shaded, you can adjust this to zero at any time. The outlines of the TFR will remain in red.

We're sorry that this caused confusion among our customers, but in reviewing what happened here, there is no way for Dynon to protect against showing a TFR like this when ADS-B tells us it's there.

--Ian @ Dynon

P.S. Thanks to everyone that helped us and the FAA identify and get to the root cause of this issue. With your datalogs, we were able to give the FAA the exact data they had sent over ADS-B and quickly demonstrate that the issue was in the raw ADS-B data.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com

Last edited by dynonsupport : 01-20-2016 at 02:33 PM.