Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Default Happy New Year 2016 from Martin's Aircraft Factory !

Hello all !

Before it is too late, I want to wish everyone on the VAF community a great and happy new year 2016. For all of you, health, prosperity, safe flights and happy building hours on your RV's !

In the last part of 2015, due to my unemployment situation since October, I worked almost every day on my RV-8 fuselage. I decided to spend a maximum of time in the shop, and consequently, I didn't post a lot of message concerning my build. Since receiving my fuselage kit July 30, 2015, I worked at least 350 hours on my fuselage, and with an estimated 150 hours to build the empennage (done by another builder) at the beginning of 2016, I believe I have exceeded the 500 hours build time milestone on my project !

During the Holidays, I took some time off from the shop. I converted my paper project logbook into a web based Kitlog. You can now follow almost daily my RV-8 build at:

http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/

From now on, I will only post major milestones on VAF, not to polute this great forum with another RV-8 build thread. Please check out my kitlog often though, and provide me with comments on my build !

Smooth Flying in 2016

Martin !
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 100%
Fuselage: 95%
Wings: 99% (Flaps remain to attach)
MD-RA Pre-closure inspection completed Dec 27, 2019
Entering Final Assembly Phase !
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Fuselage F887 Longeron comes with the wing kit...

My last RV-8 building action for 2015 was to collect my long fuselage longeron F887 from the truck depot in West Montreal.....

Unlike most RV builder apparently, I decided that after the empennage, I would build the fuselage before the wings. I took that decision because after looking at all the assembly drawings, I realized there was a lot more of little sub assemblies in the fuselage I could do in my small shop until I move to a larger home with a garage to complete the fuselage, then the wing. At least, that was the plan last Spring 2015....

Sometime while working on the fuselage, I started looking for longerons F887 in the fuselage crate delivered from Van's, and couldn't find them (I didn't realize at the time they are about 16 feet long !). I called Van's only to learn that these fuselage parts are delivered with the Wing kits....bummer I don't have wings yet !

After waiting a while, and coming to the realization I will need those longerons very soon, I ordered those from Van's. Well, it turn out that price for both longerons F887 LH & RH cost about $60 USD, but because they are very long, the shipping cost to Montreal was $350 USD (or $480 CAD with current currency exchange rate). That is crazy ! I wished I knew that when I ordered my fuselage kit, I would have placed the order for those at the same time.

Could I have found those 6061-T6 aluminum angle longerons locally in Montreal? Likely! But, I felt I didn't want to take the chance of making the wrong material selection on these important fuselage parts. After all, it is the skeleton on the aircraft. I don't want to have this on my mind when I do first flight, therefore $350 USD shipping cost may be worth it. What do you thing ?

Picking up the Fuselage Longeron F887 at the Truck depot....
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 01-11-2016, 06:06 PM

Default What's this ? Where does it go ? Please explain....

Ever since I received my fuselage kit, I resisted the temptation to play with parts and build the airplane on cleco just for fun, then dream and making some airplane noise...Please admit will all do this !

Now that I work on my fuselage in a rented shop shared with my father and my uncle, they come almost daily witness the progress on my aircraft. Last November, they kept asking questions about aircraft parts, such as "What's this ? Where does it go ? I don't understand, show me and explain..." Therefore, because of "family peer pressure", over a period of about two week-end days, I built the fwd fuse and the mid fuse on clecos. And when they came back, now they could understand how my RV-8 is built.....And then they started bringing friends to show the airplane in the garage When they came back a few days later, they were disappointed to see the aircraft disassembled..."Hey dude, I have to disassemble it to make it for real later" I told them

Anyhow, this week-end of work spend building the fuselage temporarily turned out to be a great exercise. I got to know my parts and where they fit better. Definitely not a waste of time as I expected. And then I got fewer questions all the time...

[IMG]DSCN2360 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN2361 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]
RV-8 s/n #80414

Last edited by MartinACFactory : 03-11-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up Shipping parts

Salut Martin

Rather than having your parts ship to your place with the high shipping cost to Canada, you may be better having them ship just across the border in Champlain N.Y. ( Lacolle ) and drive to pick them up.It is about 100KM from Terrebonne.

All you have to do is declare them when going back to Canada, pay whatever fee there might be and go home..

Send me an e-mail if interested and I will send the address and Tel # of the shipping depot.

A+

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM

Default Upper Longeron F887 bending

Well today was the big day....No more choice because I have almost no more parts to work on prior to starting primer and paint...Got to do it....Bend those long upper longeron F887.

For whatever reasons, out of the fuselage building so far, longeron bending was one of the thing that I anticipated the most. I have postponed this as long as I could. It turned out to be way easier than I though it would be, even it was lots of fun !

In order to minimize my risk of not bending to drawing dimensions, I decided to spend the extra time to build a jig. Therefore, instead of laying out chalk line on the floor, I took two 8 ft X 2 ft MDF sheets and put them on the floor. On the MDF sheets, I transferred all the dimension and reference from Van's drawing. I made jig stops with the proper heights for the vertical dimensions. It should fit perfectly on the aircraft.

I got help from my Dad for bending the longeron. We still used the vise and hammering technic, but always referred to the jig for final dimension checking.

I was surprise how little "wacking" is required with a 3 lbs hammer to put the aluminum angle to shape. It is a good thing we first made test with a hardware store aluminum angle.

Here is a picture of F887 Longerons in the jib prior to bending:

Here same picture after longeron bending. The longerons no longer require clamps to hold into place at the jig stops

[IMG]DSCN2504 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

Maybe the jig was a unnecessary waste of time, but ultimately, It made the measuring easy. Who said that when building an airplane, you will not need carpentry skills !

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414

Last edited by MartinACFactory : 03-11-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM

Here is the second picture for longeron bending in the jig, after bending is completed

RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 PM

Default RV-8 Fuselage....it is getting there

At the end of this week, it will be 4 months since I have lost my employment. During that period, I have shared my time between job seeking, training at the gym and obviously working on the RV-8.

On a weekly basis, I am working on the 8 at least 6 days a week, with a typical day ranging between 2 to 6 hours in the shop. So far, I think I have done in four months what the typical RV part time builder will do in about 2 years ! As much as I like to go back to work to earn a living (and eventually buy wing kit....), the objective is to have a completed fuselage by end of April 2016.

My approach so far to the fuselage was to work on all sub-assembly to the point where they need either to be prime or painted prior to final assembly. To this day, I have pretty much deburred, drilled, dimpled, countersunk all the parts I could touch. Next week, I am starting to prep all my parts for priming. Once they are primed, I shall be "rolling down hill" with final assembly... I am looking forward to that !
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 PM

Default Some random fuselage action pics

Hi all RV builders out there !

As I make quick progress on my RV-8 fuselage build, I want to share some random picture of action at "Martin's Aircraft Factory"...

With my project gathering interest from friends and family, the good parts is that I now often have helping hands visiting the shop regularly. The benefit of being in Montreal, third largest aerospace city in the World, I've got lots of knowledgeable and skillful people providing advice once in a while.

Here is the fuselage center section, with the fake wood spars I made. Again some carpentry skills required to build a RV-8 !

[IMG]DSCN2464 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

More later !

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414

Last edited by MartinACFactory : 03-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 PM

Default More pics

Buddy Fred, a license structural aircraft technician, teaching me the proper use of the DRDT-2....

Pre-fitted the floor on the seat rib sub assembly way in advance of the instruction, made it much easier to do....
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 04-10-2016, 10:07 PM

Default Major Progress in February and March

Hello All on VAF !

Just a quick post to report progress on my RV-8 Fuselage project, and share few pictures from the last two months. I didn't post much during this period because I was too busy working on my fuselage

Beginning of February, I had a very serious prospect for a new job in aviation that would require me to move 500 km west from Montreal. Expecting to start on this new job in March, I worked overtime on the RV-8 to get all my parts in the paint shop. Over a period of 10 days, I probably worked 60 hours on it. Then no news from this employer....until later in March for a 2nd interview. Possible start date at work planned for mid-April...Back home, working overtime again almost to exhaustion with freshly primed parts to put together as much as possible sub-assemblies prior to start date at work....Then again, no more news from this potential employer. Well, I may not have a new job yet...but I have a RV-8 fuselage in final assembly stage !

I am expecting now to have my RV-8 "canoe" done by mid-May now. I am looking forward to eventually sit for the first time in my fuselage
RV-8 s/n #80414