Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM

This is with the panels off:

Old 05-19-2015, 07:35 PM

And one with the jumble of wires disconnected and no panels. You can see the VP-X Pro, but the com radio is not installed. There is plenty of room behind the panel.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 AM

Wow looks great! Do you also have a Picture of the ADAHRS Position and the Magnetometer in the wingtip? Would be great !

Last edited by YvesCH : 05-20-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Here is my first fire-up of the G3X panel in my RV-8A. I had two immediate issues: one was a network error caused by connecting the shield ground of each device on the Canbus to its backshell, and the other was forgetting install the jumper defining which GDU was the PFD (it's the right one.) Had to call Garmin to get the resolution on the first error, I figured out the second. The Garmin guy seemed to know right away what the problem was - you only connect the shield grounds to the connector backshells at the beginning and end of the physical bus. Otherwise, you just connect the shield grounds together along the chain. The photo shows the screens before the fixes were applied.

Hello Charley,

That is a really great looking dual display G3X Touch installation in your RV-8A! You are going to really enjoy flying with this system and using this autopilot.

While it is true that we generally recommend only connecting the CAN bus shield to the connector back shells at just the extreme ends of the CAN bus, we have no evidence whatsoever that connecting the shield at each CAN device back shell will not work just as well. We have done it both ways, and both work fine.

We apologize that you were given information to the contrary. Perhaps there was another wiring change made along the way that explains the resolution of this issue.

Just having two displays on the CAN bus wanting to be MFD1 (before you jumpered a display to be PFD1) would make things pretty unhappy and may have been the only problem.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 05-20-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Charley,

That is a really great looking dual display G3X Touch installation in your RV-8A! You are going to really enjoy flying with this system and using this autopilot.

While it is true that we generally recommend only connecting the CAN bus shield to the connector back shells at just the extreme ends of the CAN bus, we have no evidence whatsoever that connecting the shield at each CAN device back shell will not work just as well. We have done it both ways, and both work fine.

We apologize that you were given information to the contrary. Perhaps there was another wiring change made along the way that explains the resolution of this issue.

Just having two displays on the CAN bus wanting to be MFD1 (before you jumpered a display to be PFD1) would make things pretty unhappy and may have been the only problem.

Thanks,
Steve
Yea, I was thinking that. I assumed that it was a combination of issues that was causing the network error. The first thing I did was disconnect the shield grounds on the intermediate devices on the Canbus. That did not correct the issue entirely - the "PFD" still reported the network error (I *think* in was cleared on the MFD.) It also was complaining about not having a GPS attached (which I later changed in the configuration process.) I built the harness over the winter, so I decided to go back over the connector pins - that's when I discovered the omission of the jumper grounding pin 10. After making that connection, every was working.

Since I temporarily removed the shield grounds, should I reconnect them to see what happens?

After reviewing revision T - and noticing that my backup serial line from the GSU 25 would not configure - I think I made another mistake by connecting it to a regular RS232 line rather than to connector P4601...

Last edited by maus92 : 05-21-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Yea, I was thinking that. I assumed that it was a combination of issues that was causing the network error. The first thing I did was disconnect the shield grounds on the intermediate devices on the Canbus. That did not correct the issue entirely - the "PFD" still reported the network error (I *think* in was cleared on the MFD.) It also was complaining about not having a GPS attached (which I later changed in the configuration process.) I built the harness over the winter, so I decided to go back over the connector pins - that's when I discovered the omission of the jumper grounding pin 10. After making that connection, every was working.

Since I temporarily removed the shield grounds, should I reconnect them to see what happens?

After reviewing revision T - and noticing that my backup serial line from the GSU 25 would not configure - I think I made another mistake by connecting it to a regular RS232 line rather than to connector P4601...
Hello Charley,

It is not necessary to re-connect the shield grounds to device back shells between the two ends of the CAN bus, but you may if you wish.

Thanks for noticing that we improved the guidance for wiring the backup data path to the GSU25 ADAHRS in the Rev. T G3X Installation Manual.

As shown on page 20-10, you may wire this data path to the 6th RS-232 serial port on a GDU 45X/46X display on connector 4501/4601 and leave all 5 of the other serial ports for other devices. You may also continue to use any of the first 5 serial ports for this purpose, and the guidance on page 21-5 explains that you just need to configure that RS-232 serial port for "Garmin Instrument Data".

You do not need to move your GSU25 backup data path connection to the 6th serial port unless you want to. This 6th port is always configured for "Garmin Instrument Data", so anyone using this port for the GSU25 backup data path never have to do anything but connect the wires. Your 2 display system has 12 independent serial ports, so you are in no risk of running short!

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51dplt View Post
Has anyone installed a radio stack on the left, 10" Skyview in the center and a 7" Skyview on the right side of an -8 panel? I'm wondering if there is enough room?
Hey Brant
Here is my AFS4500 on center with A210 and GTX327 on left. Barely enough space to put lock nuts on the rack mounting and still get inside the panel header in the cabin. The Skyview is about 2" wider so unlikely you could keep Skyview centered.

Off subject- my company was a sponsor at RIU airshow in '13. You still flying Sparky?
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2021(my reminder)
Old 07-22-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Panel progress

Seems quiet in the -8 forum. Everyone must be planning to build a -14. Panel is beginning to resemble something useable.
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2021(my reminder)
Old 12-15-2015, 01:21 PM

Default RV-8 Panel Upgrade

How can you improve an RV-8 that just won a Bronze Lindy at Oshkosh this year?

Why you can upgrade the panel from VFR to IFR with a new Avidyne IFD-440. We sent a new powder coated and labeled panel center section, IFD-440 and PS Engineering PAC-15 remote audio panel to Synergy Air in Eugene Oregon.
Since this plane was built with our plug and play Advanced Control Module the panel "rewire" was as simple as plugging in the new GPS Navigator and Audio panel harnesses into the ACM.

Original Advanced VFR Quick Panel:

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc,
N402RH RV-10
Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Default Label source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erDriver View Post
Thanks, Andy. I think the most challenging part was the blasted labels!
So, could you please share your source for your labels? They look very professional, and will, no doubt, instill great confidence in their pilot, from your passengers.
AeroSport Power IO-360 180hp w/dual P-Mags
Catto 3-blade, with black carbon spinner.
10" Dynon SkyviewTouch. That's ALL.