-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:45 PM

Which other manufacturer has it happened to?
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 12-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
Which other manufacturer has it happened to?
Somebody reported on the Dynon forum:

"It DID also show up as a TFR on my Stratus/foreflight, and in there I was able to tell it was for ADSB AND TIS Traffic interference..."

So this indicates to me that it is likely a problem with the data being broadcast over ADS-B.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:46 PM

So a summary of what we know, and a few thoughts:

A couple of weeks ago, the first reports of the enormous TFR over the east coast showed up on our forum. It took us some time to get a data log that contained it (we're in WA; TFRs are broadcast for the area near the transmitting ADS-B station), so we weren't initially sure what to make of it. During that uncertainty, it's possible that our technical support team jumped to the conclusion that there was a bug in SkyView. It's definitely the sort of thing that smells a bit like a software bug, but we don't think it's one inside of SkyView in this case.

What we know so far, as of right now:
  • The "TFRs" that people are seeing on the east coast are NOTAMs (actually, all TFRs are NOTAMs) that are being identified as TFRs by the bits in the ADS-B data stream that identify what type of information a particular record is.
  • Non-TFR NOTAMs are normally appropriately ignored by SkyView's TFR drawing. However, since these NOTAMs are being categorized as TFRs, they're displayed like other TFRs.
  • It looks like at least some other systems devices that receive TFRs over the ADS-B radio broadcast (UAT/978) are seeing the same thing.
  • It appears that programs and apps that get receive TFRs via an internet connection are not seeing this phenomenon, which is why some thought it to be a bug in SkyView.
  • The NOTAMs in question definitely aren't TFRs; It's not clear why they're tagged as TFRs. They seem to all have to do with outages the ADS-B system, which is we suspect why they're being treated differently than other non-TFR NOTAMs that are broadcast (just a hunch).
  • We're reaching out to other folks in the industry and the the FAA to figure out if this is by design, a categorization mistake, or something else.
  • Whether there are any adjustments to SkyView's software that might be appropriate are dependent on the above questions, and are still TBD.
  • In the meantime, you can reduce the visual prominence of these TFRs by turning down the interior opacity/shading of the TFRs in MAP MENU > MAP ITEMS > TFR OPACITY. If you go down to 0%, you'll have red outline similar to how other airspaces are depicted. You can also play with the zoom level that the TFRs are shown at in the same menu to affect when they're shown.

As for the other comments about various aspects of our company and support: First, thank you for speaking up. We try hard to support a fleet of thousands of aircraft that fly behind our products. I think we delight our customers most of the time. On rare occasion, we get it wrong or fall short of your expectations. I don't want to get into a public back and forth about individual cases, but if there's anything that we can do for any of you, please reach out to me in a PM for a more personal conversation.

Michael Schofield
Dynon Avionics
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Thanks for the

Delightful update Michael!

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2020 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 12-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Michael, thanks for finally clarifying the issue!

Last edited by Top Cat : 12-14-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:35 PM

Mike,

Always a pleasure working with you.
Thanks for the information.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 AM

This also showed up on my 796 through ADSB. I mentioned it to a controller and he said others were also complaining about it.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:52 PM

I have been having red screens for my last several flights during this problem period. Before launching this past Saturday, I set my Skyview's TFR opacity to 20% and went flying. I could see the TFR outline for our football stadium but everything else looked as expected while flying around Columbia, SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post

In the meantime, you can reduce the visual prominence of these TFRs by turning down the interior opacity/shading of the TFRs in MAP MENU > MAP ITEMS > TFR OPACITY. If you go down to 0%, you'll have red outline similar to how other airspaces are depicted.
Dynon Avionics
www.eaa242.org/
N194MH first flight on 08-26-12
Old 12-15-2015, 11:07 PM

It was a relief to read Michael Schofield's response to this thread. As a future avionics buyer, it means a lot to me when I see a company respond to an issue like this in a thoughtful, detailed, polite and sincere manner.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 PM

A quick update here. We've been talking to the FAA and it's definitely an encoding issue on their end that they'll be looking into deeper and will fix.

This is the 3rd or 4th time that SkyView pilots have found problems with the ADS-B data or configuration of the system as a whole. You guys are probably the biggest daily users of both the In and Out side of the system at the moment. The experimental community is basically finding and clearing the glitches for the rest of the fleet's benefit after 2020 . In fact we've often (including this time) been the only ones that let them know that there's a problem.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com