-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't see pictures on page 9?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:24 PM

Default Me too

I can't see the pictures either
Old 12-04-2015, 11:16 PM

the run disappeared, a miracale! I looked hard but I can't see it. there is a GOD! where the **** did it go?

the flap suffered some damage while scuffing. it slid of the table and went boom on the tarmac... repaired. slick table and dawn. hold on tightly. you can see the barrier clamps now. epoxy primer under the sandable primer. it feathers nicely. no one will ever know, except you. be careful when scuffing the flap, it can get away from you. not so much the other parts. I will say this is the first handling damage I have suffered and it it lingers in the mind. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

how to add a tank, fittings don't agree. need the Russian approach. spin the tank. having the extra air was NICE!

mixing table view. thinking, how am I going to get that booth over the fuse?

wet paint! curing at 65F. Do not touch! first coat at 75F, second coat 65F, outside air -3C. DT870 for sure. it's getting colder! bake at 65F overnight. electric heaters pointed away from the parts. it's like painting with plastic. put it one wet and walk away but come back for pictures. my paint floor is going to ****. good thing I'm almost done with it.

another flap and aileron

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-22-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:20 PM

after two days in the refrig. forget it. you have one day to use Concept in the refrig. another $10 wasted, I'm going to go broke! tomorrow I will show the horror of not using the DeKups paint filter! .... this blew some partially cured paint onto the bottom side of the parts at the first pass in a 5 in diameter area. I kept painting. after the next day it wasn't as bad as I feared. it sort of melted in. I can easily sand the nubs and buff it at some point but not now.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-08-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 AM

on a rainy day a week ago I noticed I was getting some water at the air nozzle when blowing off the parts. I added a 25 ft loop of hose before the vertical condenser on the wall and that solved the problem. I place a couple wet towels on top of the hoses to help cool the air before the vertical separator. In Winter, condensing water in the lines is a major problem. Note: I have the vertical piping, a water separator at the vertical piping exit and another micro filter at the aux tank exit.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-05-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 AM

Steve,

Feeling the pain right now, and all I have done for the last four days is a single stage Acrylic Enamel from NAPA on my cowl after some glass repair / reinforcement. I keep telling myself, "It's a working plane, not a show plane!" but, even then, I get miffed at the mistakes and blemishes. Kudos to your efforts and reports.

Tip: for the wrong ratio mixing cups, a metal ruler with millimeter markings works to get things correct, just measure the height of your '4 parts' and do the math for the missing ratio. Also makes for an easily cleaned stir stick.
Super-8 bought flying
Old 12-06-2015, 06:57 PM

agree, painting is one of those things where you can get sucked in to making it perfect. I also tell myself, this is not a show plane. as I move along I noticed I started raising the bar. I think that is the normal tack.

I forgot my camera two days in a row. intersection fairing, spinner and a bunch of little pieces painted. the intersection fairing came out great. I think the spinner with be fine, will see tomorrow. I must say painting it is like Christmas once you get you footing, every day or so you get to see a new gift and say wow I did that.

I bought a box of 100 PPG mixing cups because that was the smallest quantity they would sell. The bad thing about painting is that you make a lot of trash. I need to work on that.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-08-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 PM

spinner and intersection fairing. I was cautious not to put too much paint on these for a fear of a run. I thought about painting the spinner inverted on the way home. the perimeter decreases because of the cone shape and if you have a run it could become worse. it worked out for me and was easy to rotate the spinner while painting. next time I would do it the same but use a stronger rod thru the spinner holes because the .042 wire is not strong enough and will bend at the holes. for the final and second coat, the booth temp was 65F, I used DT870 reducer.

look ma, no pin holes!

parts are stacked everywhere. I'm pushing this hangar to the limits.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-07-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
bake at 65F overnight.
Thanks Steve for a great set of posts! I've had mixed luck with painting primer/interior colors (getting better!) Kudos for attacking the outside! If I can find a big enough space and put enough filters/water and oil absorbers in line, I might try it too.

BTW, "bake"; I don't think that word means what you think it means.

(I joke that KHAF is 65F +/- 5F all year long -- almost exactly right. Gotta love living next door to the world's largest heat skink/source.)
Old 12-07-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Thanks Steve for a great set of posts! I've had mixed luck with painting primer/interior colors (getting better!) Kudos for attacking the outside! If I can find a big enough space and put enough filters/water and oil absorbers in line, I might try it too.

BTW, "bake"; I don't think that word means what you think it means.

(I joke that KHAF is 65F +/- 5F all year long -- almost exactly right. Gotta love living next door to the world's largest heat skink/source.)
well, it is supposed to be 0C here tonight so I suppose "bake" is relative.

horizontal stab, bigger parts, booth temp 75F at first coat, second coat 70F. it didn't seem to flow as well. perhaps for the bigger parts use a higher temp reducer like DT885 but overall I am pleased with it. usually it is better the second day after flowing out. painted upside down. sprayed the floor with water.

"baking" at 65F.... I said it again! electric heaters pointed away from the parts.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-08-2015 at 12:12 AM.