Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 AM

Default Version 2.7 Avialable

Version 2.7 Summary of Changes

Overall, this version primarily continues to tweak Vne discussion. If you’ve looked at the previous couple of editions, you can see how this has evolved over the past couple of months. I hope there is now zero.zero ambiguity regarding this very small end of the airspeed band as it applies to RV-types for the purpose of familiarization and training: only exceed Vno with caution, treat Vne as TAS at all altitudes, and do not exceed Vne under any circumstances. There are some other minor changes for readability and a few hyperlinks have been added or corrected.

Special shout-out to Kevin Horton and my buddy Dave Evans for (patiently) helping properly edit the discussion and keeping me coloring inside the lines.

Version 2.7 can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8E...ew?usp=sharing

Changes/additions are in red font, and deletions are not tracked.

1. Modified Aerodynamics Briefing, corrected/modified bullet briefing points, replaced Vne diagram/figure. Added Vne look-up tables for 210 MPH limit airplanes (RV-4/6/9) and 230 MPH limit airplanes (RV-7/8): Corrected CAS math in Table 2-1 and added Table 2-2.

2. Added note to Table 2-3 (RV-4 Aerodynamic G-Available at 1375 Lbs Gross Weight)…in that table the red font does not indicate a change, but rather that a G or airspeed exceeds design limits. Table 2-3 is identical to Table 3-8. Same note added to Table 3-8.

3. Revised Figure 3-18 in Vne discussion in Part 3. Edited/revised Vne discussion beginning on page 337.

4. Minor edits/changes to some of the RV-type handling rules on thumb in Appendix C.

After a few thousand hours of typing, research, flight test and validation, driving some very patient folks a bit crazy with questions, less than stellar IT work, and wearing out at least one old lap-top, this program/concept/document is getting reasonably mature; so I don’t anticipate any major changes, although I’ll continue to make corrections and improvements as time permits.

Of note, on 14 Oct the NTSB is hosting a working group that will be looking at ideas for mitigating loss-of-control mishap risk. Certainly one of the best/easiest means to do that is improve the quality of familiarization and training resources available for folks. Hopefully, this project demonstrates what's in the art of the doable and has proven helpful to some folks in our community.

I’ll update the separate tab data/graph/figures document soon.

If anyone has any suggestion as to what would be a useful follow-on project (e.g., video presentations, video maneuver library, power-point briefings, etc. designed for familiarization or instructor use), I’d be happy to correspond via PM, e-mail or post.

As always, if anyone would like a Word version, has any suggestion for improvement or corrections, please drop a line as well.

Fly Safe,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 09-15-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Default Thanks!

I know this has been a great deal of work on your part. I can only express my thanks for your sharing it with the rest of the RV flyers out there. I would recommend anyone flying or thinking of flying an RV to read this and be familiar with it content and meaning to their safety and success in operation of an RV made to the best standards of the day.
Yours most sincerely, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 09-16-2015, 05:40 PM

I tried to download it, and all I get is a message saying "Syllabus 2.7 Draft.pdf is unsafe to download and was blocked by SmartScreen Filter." So I tried to just open it, and I get the same thing. Any ideas?
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Bruce,

I sent you an email with a copy of the latest version.

Fly safe,

Vac
Old 09-22-2015, 11:54 PM

G'day Vac,

I was looking through the training manual section on recoveries p284. There is a suggestion towards the bottom of the page to the effect that if you have not recovered after 1 1/2 to 2 turns you should swap rudder as you likely have the wrong one. I think that a better recommendation would be: If the aircraft has not recovered after 1 1/2 to 2 turns you should confirm the turn direction and confirm that you have opposite rudder applied. This achieves the intent of the current statement which is to put the correct rudder in but it allows for the case when the recovery is just slow and you have the correct rudder in already but it is a good idea to confirm the fact. I have had my plane take more than 2 turns to recover from a spin with the correct rudder input, if I had just swapped rudder input after 2 turns it would have actually delayed the recovery. I don't think it is good to assume that all RV's will always recover in less than 2 turns from all spin modes.

Great work by the way a super reference.

Cheers

Nigel
Tehachapi CA
I paid my -VAF- dues July 2018
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 AM

Default Thanks Nigel

Nigel,

Great suggestion, and I'll get it in the next edition.

Thanks much,

Vac
Old 10-21-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Version 2.8 Available

Version 2.8 of the syllabi/training manual is available at this link for download in pdf format:

Summary of Changes:

Minor edits throughout for both readability and correction. Changes are in red and deletions are not tracked.

Hyperlinks added to assist with accessibility/cross-reference.

Edited discussion in Part 3, Emergency Procedures, Out-of-Control Recovery (Thanks Nigel!).

As always, any discussion or input are welcome and if you'd like to receive a copy of this document in Word format, please drop an e-mail or PM.

Fly safe,

Vac
Old 11-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Version 2.9 now available

Version 2.9 of the draft training manual is now available via the following link:

Changes are in red for reference. Deletions are not tracked. Obsolete draft versions 2.0 and 2.1 have been deleted from Google Drive.

Version 2.9 Summary of Changes:

Clarified portions of “USING THIS GUIDE” paragraph on p. 19. Note: In addition to serving as a general reference, Part 3 of this document is designed to serve as the basis for developing checklists, techniques or operating procedures in the event specific guidance for a particular airplane is not available in the form of a detailed pilot’s operating handbook prepared by the builder.

Corrected gross weight on lower axis of Figure 3-14 “RV-7/8 Maneuvering Speed Example.” This graph also appears in several briefing guides in Part 2. All have been corrected.

Added knots to tables 2-3/3-8 “RV-4 Aerodynamic G Available.” I did not use the standard convention of displaying changes in red font, since this table intentionally uses red font to indicate when design limits are exceeded.

Modified/edited controllability check discussion in Part 3, Emergency Procedures section.

Added basic Aircraft Upset/Unusual Attitude discussion to EMERGENCY PROCEDURES section and revised detailed discussion of recommended recovery techniques in the MANUEVERING FLIGHT discussion in Part 3. Like the discussion regarding out-of-control/spins there is some overlap and redundancy in both sections regarding upsets/unusual attitudes.

Added step to OUT-OF-CONTROL checklist in EMERGENCY PROCEDURES section of Part 3 to disconnect/turn off autopilot.

Cudos

Big thanks to Bob Redman downunder (where the Coriolis force is wired backwards and driving on the other side of the road is encouraged by local law enforcement) for taking the time assist with editing the entire document and catching numerous errors.

Astute readers will note that I shamelessly plagiarized/paraphrased portions of Charlie Precourt’s “Test Flight” columns as published in Sport Aviation magazine recently to improve controllability check and aircraft upset discussion in this revision. Portions of the upset discussion added to the EMERGENCY PROCEDURES portion of Part 3 should also look familiar to anyone familiar with USAF/USN training manuals…

Note

Although I’ve mentioned the verbiage in the past, the “confidence maneuvers” in this program are designed to assist with developing the proper “muscle memory” to assist with upset recovery and also provide a foundational low AOA handling skill set whether or not more advanced handling (aerobatic) training is accomplished. The terms “upset” and “unusual attitude” are used interchangeably throughout this document.

As always, any comments, ideas, corrections are welcome from anyone in the community and always appreciated. Please drop a line via PM, email etc. If you would like a Word version of the document, associated grade sheets and/or are having difficulty downloading the pdf version, please drop a line as well.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 11-20-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Version 3.0 Available

Version 3.0 is available via this link:

Quite a few “house keeping” changes and corrections in this draft. Big picture: RV-3B information added, where appropriate, and knot/MPH airspeed convention applied throughout. Removed earlier draft versions 2.3 and 2.4 from the cloud. Changes are in red font. Deletions are not tracked.

As always, I’d like to thank the folks that take the time to write and provide information, ideas and/or corrections--any discussion or critique is always welcome! Special thanks to Bob Redman for his second time through the entire document (ouch) to assist with editing and keep me honest, and also thanks to Walt Aronow who maintains a back-up copy of the draft on his web site (ExpAircraft dot com) which is available to all RV’ers if the google doc’s link provided above does not work. Additionally, if you have any problem downloading the current draft or would like a Word version of the document, please drop a PM or e-mail.

Version 3.0 Summary of Changes

-Corrected FAR Flight Review reference
-Changed assumed weight for parachutes for the purpose of computing weight and balance to actual weight
-Scrubbed all Knot/MPH references throughout all Parts and adopted the following convention: “Van’s Aircraft provides RV-type airspeed performance data and limitations using MPH. In accordance with current practice, this guide presents airspeed in knots and MPH (generally presented in a KTS/MPH format). If a speed is a factory specified limitation, it is converted from MPH to knots and rounded to the closest appropriate knot. In some cases when converting from MPH to knots, a small interpolation is made to produce an easy to reference “round” number ending in zero or five if it does not exceed an airspeed limitation. Due to variation between individual aircraft, calibrated airspeed is utilized in lieu of indicated airspeed. Indicated airspeed for a specific RV-type can only be determined through flight test.”
-Revised figures and some discussion in RV-type aerodynamics briefing.
-Edited bounced landing ROT of page 434. Added ROT regarding retracting flaps abruptly (manual flaps) on conventional gear types during wheel landing.
-Edited LANDING section in PART 2. Added additional power-control discussion and established “no later than” point for stabilized final approach criteria.
-Added RV-3B weight and balance limits to Table 1-1. Limits obtained from Van’s tech support, including note regarding wing fuel weight inclusion in maximum allowable aerobatic gross weight.
-Added knots to Tables 2-1 and 2-2: VNE TAS quick reference data.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 2-4. Revised notes.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 2-5. Re-ordered notes.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 2-6. Added suggested asymmetric G limits (asymmetric G limits are not specified for RV-types by Van’s). Revised and re-ordered notes.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 3-2. Only VFE provided for RV-3 is 100 MPH/95 KTS. Note: No factory guidance available stating VFE for half-flaps or less is 10 MPH higher as is available for other RV-types.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 3-7. Revised and re-ordered notes.
-Revised note 1 in table 2-3/3-8.
-Revised and added to Appendix C: RV Handling Rules of Thumb

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 01-22-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Corrected reference to Appendix C on last line
Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 PM

Smile RV-12 and/or RV-14

Are there plans to include these aircraft?