Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
It's good to see another Canadian builder taking up his tools.

If you can, find a heated workshop. I've been slow-building for a few years now in an unheated hangar that's more like a farm equipment shed - snow blows in under the doors and eaves and heaters do little to take the edge of winter's icy blast. I'm getting frustrated by having to always work around the weather, so much so that I've put a bunch of work on hold so I could get epoxy primer on the fuselage before the temperature started to drop. Working in a heated shop relieves one of the need to plan around temperature, and greatly improves the number of hours available to actually work on the airplane. Don't ask me how many hours I've had to spend chopping my way through the ice to get to my project!

Here's wishing you steady progress and a very small pile of scrap parts when you're done!
Like I said, if I had waited that all stars align to start this project, I would have never started...That said, I am planning the move in hopefully not too distant future. My future home will have a heated garage for sure !

The shed is great now because for what I am doing at this time (deburring parts), I do not need a lot of space. I can't assemble the fuselage though, which is a show stopper for that project !
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 100%
Fuselage: 95%
Wings: 99% (Flaps remain to attach)
MD-RA Pre-closure inspection completed Dec 27, 2019
Entering Final Assembly Phase !
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
Welcome. I'm in St Rose Laval and my RV4 project is in Lachute. Drop me a line if you every need help, tools, advice etc.
Hello Scott,

For sure I will. I can fly to Lachute no problem from Mascouche. I live very close to Mascouche airport, where I have a share on a Beech Sundowner.

Once it gets too cold for me to work in the garden shed, I will get in touch with you and go see your project.

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closterman View Post
Salut Martin, int?ressant de voir un autre RV en construction au Qu?bec !
Ici en Abitibi, nous avons un RV-6 et un RV-8 en vol, mon RV-7A qui est presque termin? et un RV-14 en fabrication ! Si tu as des questions, ne te g?ne pas ? me contact? en priv? ou par t?l?phone ! Contacte moi par e-mail, la r?ponse sera plus rapide : info(arobas)mraerodesign.com

Bonne chance dans ton projet !
Salut Martin,

Yes, for sure I will get in touch with you at one point. It is great to join the community of Quebec RV's builders and flyers.

Keep up the good work on your RV-7A
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 PM

Deburring....Deburring....Deburring, and again Deburring. Did I say Deburring ? Maybe I am repeating myself ? Deburring

Well, for the last month or so, I've been really active on my fuselage kit. So far, I've resisted the temptation to assemble anything. I have focus my energy and motivation on guess what...Deburring of course ! I have yet to do a tally, but I believe I am close to 35 hrs of parts edge deburring, and I have done 75% of fuselage parts. My plan is to have completed all fuselage parts edge deburring within the next two weeks. Then, I will scuff them all (except skins outside surface). During winter, I will send my parts to a local paint shop I know, and get them primed. I want to get my parts primed prior to assembly. I think in the long run, this will speed up my project, and I will be less affected by my winter downtime.

Still having lots of fun working on the RV-8 !
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Default Looking back in time

Hello all !

Before showing you images of current status on my build, why not start by looking back in the past for a moment....

[IMG]IMG_0265 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0263 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is what my empennage kit looked like when I first showed up at Dale Lamport shop back in January 2013. Not knowing anything about RV-8's at time, I really had to have confidence in Dale for transforming this aluminum Junk into a real airplane empennage

A month later, I got a call from Dale saying my empennage was built, and I could take delivery of it. I drove the 3.5 hours from Montréal to Smiths Falls, Ont to pick up my empennage. Luckily, we were able to fit the entire empennage Inside my Subaru Outback, with the horizontal stab fitting between the front seat. Good thing my Dad came along, because the horizontal stab was blocking my view to the right. My Dad was calling me traffic and when to make line changes on the highway...

[IMG]DSCN0741 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

Proud owner of a "Quick Built" RV-8 empennage, in February 2013. My Neighbors, a little puzzled, asked me on what R/C Model aircraft I was going to put that huge wing I just got. They did not believe me it is a real aircraft empennage
RV-8 s/n #80414

Last edited by MartinACFactory : 03-09-2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Photobucket picture link
Old 10-27-2015, 09:18 PM

Default Packing empennage for a long time !?

Back in the Spring of 2014, I realized that it might be a long time before I could actually find a definitive location for "Martin's Aircraft Factory". Due to life uncontrollable events, I knew I would move again a few times in the future. For such reason, I decided to invest a little time to properly package my empennage to ensure protection. It was actually amazing that it did not get damaged from the time I first took delivery of it until June 2014. I didn't want to take more risks....

horizontal stab packaged by Martin Leroux, on Flickr
RV-8 s/n #80414

Last edited by MartinACFactory : 03-09-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Default How to turn something negative into an opportunity!?

Well, life has some twist and turns that we cannot control....

Three weeks ago, I lost my job with this Business Jet Completion Center / Maintenance facility I'd been working at for year and a half It is the 3rd time in less that 4 years I loose my employment in the Aerospace Industry in Canada

First two days of unemployment, yes I was angry. But then I realized, with the current state of Aerospace industry in Montr?al area, I have more than likely 3-6 months ahead of me before starting to work again...I also realized that I am saving 12 hours a week of daily commute to work. Guess what I am going to do with all this time....Make huge progress on my RV-8 fuselage I am already working 20-30 hours a week on it....

With winter fast approaching here in Eastern Canada, It is getting too cold to work in my shed. But now with so much time on my hands, it make a lot of sense to rent some heated space to get the project going. Therefore, Martin's Aircraft Factory is moving this week to the shop of a closed Ford dealership in my hometown. Lots of space, and best of all, heated work area for the cold winter !

That's what I call turning a negative situation into a positive opportunity. I will likely do in 6 months what I expected to do in 2 years on my RV-8
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 PM

Default Congratulations and Keep It Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinACFactory View Post
Deburring....Deburring....Deburring, and again Deburring. Did I say Deburring ? Maybe I am repeating myself ? Deburring
Still having lots of fun working on the RV-8 !
Martin, You have hit on one of my deepest pet peeves. The biggest problem I see on all my tech counselor visits is "lack of proper deburring".
Most every "crack" I see when doing annuals is caused by improper de-burring.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Martin, You have hit on one of my deepest pet peeves. The biggest problem I see on all my tech counselor visits is "lack of proper deburring".
Most every "crack" I see when doing annuals is caused by improper de-burring.
Hi Mel !

Thanks for your comments. I knew it was common for DAR to complain about lack of deburring on parts.

When I started working on the kit, I knew deburring was going to be the boring, but necessary evil, part of the build. That's why I started with this. Very happy now that is all behind me. From my Aerospace engineering background, I knew too that improper deburring would lead in the future to cracks and potential fatigue failure. Thus there was no way I was going to skip that part of the build.

Before I get going with my kit assembly, my next step is to corrosion prep my primary structure parts with alodine, prime and paint. Until then, I am resisting temptation to assemble anything...
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 PM

Smile The day it finally arrived....

Hello All,

Again tonight, a little look back in time, but not too distant... Let's go back to July 30, 2015. After placing my order at the Mother Ship on May 10, the wait was finally over...My Fuselage kit made it all the way to Montreal, Canada ! My Fuselage kit took about 3 weeks to get from Oregon to my door. The actual transportation from Oregon to Montreal was no more than a week. It took so long because the Customs Declaration paper work did not follow the kit, and it remained stuck in Customs for 2 weeks

[IMG]DSCN2093 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

Although I had to go to work that morning when the kit arrived, just like a kid, I couldn't resist cracking the box open to have a peek inside...I had to wait until the week-end to start doing the inventory.

[IMG]DSCN2097 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

A RV-8 Project can reunite families....Both my Mom and Dad, divorced 20 years ago, came to help for the part inventory....

[IMG]DSCN2101 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally, a lots of parts, but not as much as I expected. Maybe I've seen too much big airplanes in the factory I worked in....with ten thousand more parts

DSCN2103 by Martin Leroux, on Flickr

More next time !

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414

Last edited by MartinACFactory : 03-11-2018 at 08:42 AM.