-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM

I started missing them at Oshkosh . . . Thanks for all the years of great products and customer service Bob & Judy.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Default Good for you!

Bob was always my go-to guy whenever I needed help with a drill or squeezer that was not, ?performing it?s intended function?. He was also right there, ready and willing to do any close tolerance drilling that I was afraid of ? like drilling my Grove landing gear. Yes, Bob was always willing to help and he treated me like I was one of his best customers ? but I know that the rest of you received the same special treatment. Sorry to see them retire ? but glad they are able to go enjoy their time together! Fare well Avery?s!
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2021

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 11-04-2015, 02:16 PM

I, too, will miss Avery Tool, but we still have the Bob & Judy. Knowing them, respecting them, and doing business with them. Well, two out of three isn't bad. Good luck, and enjoy a well deserved retirement.

Bob
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM

Default Thank you Bob and Martin

I owe more than you can imagine to Bob Avery. I took a basic sheet metal class at his shop with Martin Sutter 20 years ago that really pointed me in the right direction. I'm building a RV6 but took some time off to build a polished all aluminum Hummel Ultracruiser that won Grand Champion at OSH this year!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 PM

Default Avery's Retirement - time to tell on them!

In the early summer of 2010, as many of you know, I was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery in June that year.

Among the hundreds of you that sent me get well messages and encouragement were the Avery's.

I told them in private chats, that I planned to make it to Oshkosh even though I would only be about 6-7 weeks post op.

I told them I was tempted to push it, and go to show that you CAN beat cancer.

They knew the odds, and had dealt with it too, so they knew what I was planning was not wise but they were supportive beyond belief.

They sent me a couple free VAF Tshirts so I could emblazon "I BEAT CANCER SO WHATS A LITTLE RAIN" on them, as the forecast that year did not look good.

They gave me FIRM instructions that I was to check in with them as soon as I arrived at OSH, and they would have cold water in the booth for me.

Well when I walked in first it was hugs all around, then I think they realized as others would later that day just how bad I looked, and immediately made me sit and drink and cool off. They were so worried they kept asking shouldn't I go home? Not me, too stubborn.

They kept me there for about half an hour? When I got up to go visit other friends booths they said I had to check in on my way out!

Then more hugs and words I'll never forget "It's great to see someone beat it for once".

I didn't make it long at OSH, in total maybe 90 mins.....but I had to stop by on my way out to once more say good bye, and head home realizing what a huge mistake it was to push it that soon, but I was so glad to see them and to show them that, yes, I had good news.

I still have the shirts, I'm still cancer free 5 1/2 years later, and as it turns out that was the last time I got to go to OSH and see them.

As they go into Retirement I want them to know that beyond the planes, and tools, and Shows....

They had a huge impact in helping keep a very sick guy recover before, and beyond that day, and I was only one of many I am sure that they helped in some way, so it should not come as a surprise to anyone what these folks did over the years for so many of us.

Thank you folks for always being there for me, and for us, if you ever need the favor returned. Assuming there's a way I can do anything close to what you did for me all you need is ask.

God Bless and many more wonderful years to you all.
Jim Pappas VAF #13
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Forum Peruser

If the Jim Pappas posting above is not a reason to salute the Averys then I don't know what is. Thanks Jim for expressing it so well, and thanks Bob and Judy for just being the special people you are.
Now I'm going to go get a tissue for my tears.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 11-10-2015, 05:50 AM

I have been building RVs for close to 30 years. The first two I built using a hand squeezer. When I started my RV-7 late last century, I decided I could afford a pneumatic squeezer with all the yokes and accoutrements. Avery was having one of their sales at the time so I placed my order. It was the probably the best tool purchase I ever made.

Anyway, a number of RVs later and it just didn?t have the pizazz it once did. So I boxed up the main body, enclosed a blank check and sent if off to Bob with instructions to repair it and fill out the check as necessary.

First, how many vendors are you willing to send a signed blank check? That says a great deal right there.

Second, the squeezer came back two weeks later all spiffed up and anxious to get back at those rivets. My blank check came back as well. Huh?

I called Bob. He said he repaired it under warranty. Warranty?! The thing was ten years old and had obviously been used on countless rivets and dimples.

Our country?s economy rests on the back of great small businesses like Avery Tools. We in the aviation community in general and the RV world in particular are diminished by their so well deserved retirement.

God bless you Bob and Judy Avery.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 PM

At Oshkosh 2006 I spent my first $500 at Avery's booth. Martin Sutter patiently explained what basic tools I need to finish the empennage I was about to order. Many orders came after that large and small. Always great service big Thank You the Averys!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.