What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Downgrading from a GNS430 with 100-Series Dynons

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredyates

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm currently using a Dynon D180, D100, and HS34 connected to a GNS430 and GTX327. When I first designed the panel, I wanted to be IFR approach capable, but these days, I'm not really feeling like I need that capability. I'm looking at the resale prices of the 430, and thinking that I can probably still sell it for what I paid for it, but I doubt that will always be the case.
I'm considering pulling out the 430 and replacing it with a VFR capable GPS, and a NAV COM. I primarily use the ipad for navigation anyway, so the panel mount would mostly be backup. In the new configuration, I'd like to still be able to display HSI information on the Dynon units if possible. I'd also like to try and keep VHF ILS capability. I do all of my own wiring. Can anyone recommend good replacement units to consider that would meet these criteria?

I've also considered an intercom swap while I'm doing the rest, which could open up the possibility of using a PAR200 and only needing a new VHF NAV receiver.

I have a purchased new and never installed VAL NAV2000 that will drive the HSI on your d100.

I'm on the bubble of whether or not to rack it up.

I've got D-100, AP74, HS34, servos, Garmin GX60 and Garmin SL30 ready to go in. I'm not sure I really need the extra NAV radio since the SL30 will monitor standby station and radial for intersections.

Maybe partial trade for your 430?

After googling about some of the VFR-only panel-mounted GPS options, I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother with a panel-mounted GPS.

Not sure how you come out ahead?

With the 430, already installed and working, you have a compact box that gives you GPS, a comm radio, and an ILS capable box, all of which you say you would replace with separate boxes?.

Just my opinion, of course.

Ron

Garmin 296

Until recently, I used a Garmin 296--it will provide course guidance to the D100. The dynon autopilot will follow the course guidance of the 296.

Additionally, I had a KNS80 for DME, ILS, and VOR which was displayed on a TKD MC60.

I recently chose to replace the KNS80 and 296 with a GTN625--the unit was used but cost less than a used 430. I have not found anywhere I fly that does not have a GPS approach and I already have 2 radios.

If you simply want GPS course guidance and steering for VFR flight, a Garmin 296 is a cost effective choice. Had I not wanted to fly GPS approaches, I would have stuck with the 296.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back