What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charlotte, NC Recommendations

macrafic

Well Known Member
Flying into Charlotte for the NASCAR race in May and looking for airport recommendations. Flying IFR, so would prefer towered, but not a deal breaker. Also looking for hangar space, but also not a deal breaker. Need to be able to get rental car, Hertz preferred.

Looks to me like Hickory Regional fits the bill, on paper. Can those of you familiar with the area confirm my choice, or recommend a different one?

Stanly County

The race track is on the NE side of Charlotte. Stanly County would be a much shorter drive if they have rental cars. KRUQ or KSVH would work as well but they aren't towered. KJQF is basically right across the street from the race track, but I have a feeling they will be quite busy.

I just had my plane painted at KRUQ. The technicians said the get several NASCAR drivers flying in to Rowan County. Enterprise will leave a car at the FBO. Don't know about hangar space.

They do have some skydiving and National Guard helicopter activity, but it wasn't an issue when I was there.

KJQF is literally across the street from the speedway. It will be expensive, however, as all the jets go in there and so does Alegiant which has turned it from a nice class D field to a pain to get around. It's by far the closest. KIPJ and KRUQ would be the next alternates.

KJQF is closest and the most expensive, KRUQ and KEQY are next closest but untowered. KVUJ is towered but not on weekends.

KEXX or INT if all else fails

Don't rule out KINT if your other options are a bust. It would likely be less of a drive than Hickory, has a tower and nice big runway. Also has car rental on field I believe. RCR racing is based out of KEXX (Lexington) and its right on the highway to Concord. KEXX is a really nice airport and just added some new approach features.

Back