What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Our Morning with Mitch Lock

shanecfi

I have been contemplating taking the dive into building my own plane for about 25+ years now. That life long dream is about to become reality. I have done a lot of researching in the past year or so, and have narrowed my choice down to two. The RV-10 or the the RV-14a. During that time I was able to reach out to Mitch Lock and ask for a demo fight. My wife and I traveled to Manassas VA for an EAA Sportair Workshop on September 10-11. I took the sheet metal course. It was well worth the expense and effort, but that is for another thread.

Luckily we were able to travel to meet with Mitch on Monday, September 12, 2016. Mitch met us promptly, as planned at 10:00am, at his airport, St. Mary's Regional Airport, (2W6). We were greeted by a beautiful RV-14a, pristine hanger, and a great seating area right next to the plane, that I could not keep my eyes off of. As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression, and wow did Mitch nail this one! With both my wife and me.

My wife is totally new to the General Aviation thing. Her idea of flying is buckling up in a Boeing and reading until we unload. I am a former CFII and currently have a Commercial Certificate and Instrument Rating. I wanted to jump right in the 14 and fly. My wife had many question and Mitch took his time and answered them all and discussed all of our concerns with us. He was very professional, friendly and patient with us. Vans could not ask for a better representative way out here on the East Coast.

It is very important to me to have Linda, my wife, comfortable with all the aspects of this journey I am about to undertake. She needs to be comfortable with the money and time spent on this. She has never flown with me as P.I.C., as I have been out for G.A. for the last 20+ years. That is about to change. As such I wanted her to fly with Mitch in his RV-14a to make sure she could even do this. It would be a total waste to build a plane and not have her with me in it.

So off Mitch and I went. He took me up and gave me a great demo flight. Wow, can that plane perform! Most of my time is in Cessnas and Pipers, you can imagine my thrill as we rotated and I looked over and saw Mitch was still feeding in power. Then Mitch took Linda up. Guess what? She landed and had an RV grin on too!

After talking to her she told me how Mitch handled the demo flight. We could not have been more pleased. He explained everything to her and answered all of her questions. An example she gave me was of him explaining to her a power reduction. All of us are used to and expect sound changes during a flight when we are at the controls. Not so to the uninitiated. Mitch warned her of the upcoming power reduction so she was not startled by the sound change. I am pretty sure I would have just reduced power on the climb out then spent the rest of a truncated flight explaining why I did not warn her.

I am sure this endeavour just came closer to being a reality due to Mitch Lock and his time he shared with us. I can not be more grateful to Mitch and to Vans for choosing a person such as Mitch. Again thanks Mitch!

Welcome to VAF!

Shane, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

So, did you also get a RV10 demo??

Hello Mike and thanks for the welcome,

Mitch also has a 10. We did not fly in it, but he did show it to us and we sat in it. It does have more room for sure. Still on the fence on what model. I have a friend in Columbus, Ohio, about two hours from us. He is going to take us up.

Take Care.

Mitch also has a 10. We did not fly in it, but he did show it to us and we sat in it. It does have more room for sure. Still on the fence on what model. I have a friend in Columbus, Ohio, about two hours from us. He is going to take us up.

Take Care.

Welcome!

My wife and I had a similar experience with Mitch. He wasn't quite done with the -14 at the time of our visit, and I was interested in the 10 anyways.

Shortly after visiting, I ordered the -10 tail kit. :)

You guys are making me blush! It's easy being nice to nice folks.

Last edited:
Agreement

I had the pleasure of being parked next door to Mitch's hangar at 2W6. I had been contemplating building a Van's for awhile and Mitch invited me to his home where he was building the 14 in his basement. He did a great job of explaining the building process and telling me the "true" differences in the Van's fleet (he has a 10, a 12, and the 14 and previously owned others). I didn't get to go up on a demo as the 14 wasn't complete (I moved right before the initial flight). He did let me sit in it after moving to the hangar to make airplane noises and I was sold. Mitch is a great guy, smart as **** on Vans aircraft and a great role/spokesman. So, if you read this Mitch, the C172 is sold and the 14emp is nearly complete. The phone number I have for you is no longer working so if you could PM your number I would appreciate it. I have a couple of questions on the build.

Dan Claffey
RV-14 very slow build

Similar experience

I was considering the RV14, RV12, Sling 2 and Sling 4. I had a chance to fly the Garmin RV12 with Mitch at the LSA show a year ago, then spent a long time talking to him about both the RV12 and the RV14 that he was still building at that time. After thinking a few months I bought the RV14 tail kit and got a fast start by attending the build class and empannage class at Synergy Air. (Kudos to Wally and his team there, that's another positive story.) Finally had a chance to fly the RV14 with Mitch at Oshkosh and verified I had made the right choice.

Funny how good people and good planes go together.

I too look forward to meeting Mitch. I have a date with the RV10 on the 1st. Wife and I plan on flying down to 2W6 in the morning.

My RV-14 Demo With Mitch Lock

I was fortunate to be able to meet with Mitch Lock this morning for a demo flight in the RV-14. The weather was a perfect 60 degree day, CAVU with light winds out of the west and I was psyched to experience the legendary performance of an RV for the 1st time. Mitch and the RV-14 far exceeded any expectations I had formed from reading about it, cruising this forum and talking with others. Vans has chosen very wisely regarding their choice for East Coast Rep.

I'm a retired Naval Aviator, current corporate pilot and have flown my fair share of high performance aircraft throughout my career. A few things have prevented me from taking the plunge to build in the past which included finding an aerobatic aircraft that would comfortably fit my 6' 3" frame while still being a capable cross country aircraft. I sat in the RV-14 at Oshkosh this year and talked with Mitch about the airplane and he was VERY patient in answering all my questions. Today, I got to fly it and the final key questions I had were emphatically answered in the affirmative for me. The RV-14 handles as well as any aircraft I have ever flown and it is the aircraft I will be building!

Next comes selling my Cherokee Six 300 HP to finance the major portion of the cost of the project. Once that is sold, I will be making the phone call to Vans Aircraft to place my order. So... if you know anybody interested in a Cherokee Six, let me know. You will be helping me accelerate my timeline to getting in the air in my very own RV-14.

Take Care.

There are four of us with RV-10s in Columbus. Anyone of us are usually more than willing to give a ride to potential builders.

I think he likes to give demo rides to wives. My wife, Linda, got the very first demo ride in that 14. It is spectacular! Seems that Mitch becomes good friends with everyone.

Back