What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do You Collect Grass/Un-Improved Strips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vlad, when did you visit Moontown? Looks like you were there recently given the fall colors. Sorry we missed meeting you. We were probably in our hangar working on the -12. Hopefully another time. Your posts inspire us for adventures!

Vlad, when did you visit Moontown? Looks like you were there recently given the fall colors. Sorry we missed meeting you. We were probably in our hangar working on the -12. Hopefully another time. Your posts inspire us for adventures!

I've been there three days ago Dave. We walked across the runway by xmas tree stand to a grocery on the other side of the highway. Nice hotdogs they make there. I spoke to an RV9A guy his name is Mark. Great airfield perfect weather and nobody was flying I am wondering why. Gas is super cheap these days. Bunch of guys were shooting the bull inside the building one even tried to sell me an engine :D

Last Saturday, right? Yup, we were down in the hangar. You came thru on a great flying day! Like most grass strips we have an interesting assortment of characters, but being near Huntsville, the "Rocket City" and NASA's Marshall Spaceflight Center, we have more than most I think. Next time give us a heads up, we'll get the guest room ready. Third Saturday of every month is a Fly-in breakfast. With good weather we get visitors and interesting aircraft from all over the south east.
Clear Skies,
Dave

I believe there is a large contingent of RV's over in Decatur at Pryor Field around the corner from Moontown. Did some transition training there when Dan was still flying his 9A. Vlad is our flying ambassador for sure. If I only get to fly a quarter of what he does I will be happy. Moontown is on my bucket list.

Decisions?

Vlad,

How have you found your new strips? Or, how do you decide to visit some place you haven't been before.
Do you pick randomly,,,,or talk to someone about a new destination?

grass strips

Vlad,
When were you at Roy E Ray (5R7) ? I live on the airport and would liked to have met you. If you get back this way let me know you are coming. I'll take you to get some awesome seafood rather than hotdogs. I also have hangar room and an apartment if you need somewhere to stay.
Tom Wood
N184TW

I believe there is a large contingent of RV's over in Decatur at Pryor Field around the corner from Moontown. Did some transition training there when Dan was still flying his 9A. Vlad is our flying ambassador for sure. If I only get to fly a quarter of what he does I will be happy. Moontown is on my bucket list.

Yes, there are several RV's based at Pryor Field, just 25 miles west of Moontown. Dan (the CFII and RV9A builder/pilot) and I used to share a hangar.

Vlad, let us know next time and I'm sure several members of the TVRVBG would like to meet you.

Vlad,

How have you found your new strips? Or, how do you decide to visit some place you haven't been before.
Do you pick randomly,,,,or talk to someone about a new destination?

Jay it was a random pick until almost all public grass strips within 200 NM of my home base were visited. Then on my longer x country flights I started planning one or two different non paved runways. I study the runway and obstructions then do a closer pass uncoordinated looking at the centerline. Sometimes it doesn't look/smell good and I don't land. Sometimes I make calls to privately owned airports but these calls don't yield much. The majority of airport owners don't want a stranger on their property. Guilty I landed on a couple fields without any hangars or homes on them but only after researching for some time including multiple flyovers. I found those fields on Piper Cub forums you are a member there.

BTW the idea of landing on different grass strips was partially instigated by you. Do you remember several years ago you were asking here how to fly more and where to go? From that remark of yours I decided to create several plans for years ahead where to go and what to do. Islands, ice, sand, grass, airport museums, abandoned fields and much more. Thanks for stimulation Jay!

Never landed at a heliport though. Any ideas where and how it could be done?

Vlad,
When were you at Roy E Ray (5R7) ? I live on the airport and would liked to have met you. If you get back this way let me know you are coming. I'll take you to get some awesome seafood rather than hotdogs. I also have hangar room and an apartment if you need somewhere to stay.
Tom Wood
N184TW

Tom thanks. Due to some unfriendly weather in TX we decided to alter the route and headed to the Gulf shore near Mobile. We settled with a crew car at Foley and had almost an hour of daytime to kill. Flew to Dauphin Island then to your airfield. Wow you guys are keeping it in great shape. It's very wide and long. I will let you know when I am going your way.

Yes, there are several RV's based at Pryor Field, just 25 miles west of Moontown. Dan (the CFII and RV9A builder/pilot) and I used to share a hangar.

Vlad, let us know next time and I'm sure several members of the TVRVBG would like to meet you.

Don it was a deviation from the plan otherwise I would notify. I know where you live :D

Vlad, you are always welcome to stop by WI69.

Roberta:):)

On the bucket list Roberta. August 2nd/3rd? :D

<SNIP>Don it was a deviation from the plan otherwise I would notify. I know where you live :D <SNIP>

Oooh, a Russian knows where I live. Sixty years ago when I was a little boy, I never would have thought such was possible. :cool:

Finding grass strips

Using skyvector.com, click on airports. Using NY State for an example, enter any airport identifier and go to the page for that airport. At the top of the page will be an option for "all airports in NY State. Click on that and you will find a list of MANY airports. Skip the ones with three letter identifiers.
The remaining airports will include many with only grass and many paved with secondary grass runway. MANY of these airports are not listed on sectional chart or even state airport charts. Quite a few are abandoned or unuseable. I would guess there are at least 100 useable grass runways in NY State alone. One example is Downsville NY. 2700' manicured grass strip built in the 40's. listed as private but I think a call to the owner would result in permission to land. VERY tall trees at north end. Nothing there, about a two mile walk to town.
I have not been back to NY for several years, but for many years I amused myself by seeking out strange new grass runways.
When you look at the page for a specific airport you can use the satellite view to find the exact location.

2016 Grass season is open at WV22

New grass strip in WV thanks for the invite Sheriff! Nice vicinities.

Long and wide runway. Plenty of parking for a hundred airplanes. These two RVs are not talking to each other wondering why?

Hi Sheriff!

Nice cave!

There is something more beautiful then airplanes. :D

We spent about an hour visiting. After I left that little polished thing with red trim chased me out of state. Not at 420 knots but pretty close good run Jim!

Thanks Chris for having us!

My pleasure Vlad, glad to see you again and your always welcome. See ya either at 8A7 in April or Jims in May. :D

http://www.berkeleyspringscastle.org

Once seeing your photos Vlad, I realized you were talking about the sand mines (US Silica)and I was talking about the Castle. So to put our confusion at ease, above is a link for the Castle.

Phew....I feel better now! Ha!

Thanks. I passed the site two times and it looked like kilns I thought I got lost. Good reason to come back to see the Castle, another pretty thing you mentioned and land on that strip nobody lands. :D

Moores 1E8 in Degrasse, NY

Deep in an Adirondack MOA lies a private field for public use. Moores airport, Degrasse, NY.

The runway is in decent shape, approaches are clear.

There is a dirt road dissecting the runway you have to watch where to drop your nose wheel if any.

Besides the runway there was only a little spot at the time I could park. The large mossy area is soft and fully panted RV will have difficulty to taxi.

I deplaned and walked around. Unattended field. There is an access to a creek. Several aircrafts are based there and almost everyone has it's own gas station.

WWII style snow remover and a roller.

I've heard that there is at least one flyin scheduled but I was unable to learn when.

A great stop overall.

Visit OK18

Hey Vlad,

Hope you can come visit the grass strip at OK18 someday. Memorial Day weekend we will be having friends over to do some camping, eating, and story telling. I know it's a long ways from your home base, but would love to have you join us if you can.

All the Best,

Clayton

Westward ho?

Thanks Rich. I am actually planning Harsens Island Z92 on Saturday. Cackleberry looks like a nice spot to visit in the future.
Vlad,
If you decide to add another strip to your list, point that wayward 9A westward! After you visit Clayton, c'mon down to TX32!
A 9A fits in my driveway nicely...:)
V/R
Smokey

TX32 "Fairway"

"Hey, a 9A in our driveway"

Smyrna DE 38N

TX32 it is. How last quarter of 2017 sounds for you Smokey? In the meantime I visited a little airport in the state of Delaware called Smyrna 38N. The runway is rather wide and you can cheat a lot of xwind there.

Not much activity was detected on a sunny Saturday morning. There are fuel pumps but there is no way to get gas without airport staff.

No food within walking distance either.

Up to other destination...

NK26 Old Forge NY

Old Forge, NY is a restricted airfield. It belongs to Adirondack Homes LLC. Two years ago my friend and I toured the skies in the vicinity of Old Forge but didn't land. It's somebody's backyard and we didn't know who owns it. Couple weeks ago I stopped at Lake Placid airport KLKP on my way to Canada and was met by an RV6 owner Phil. Phil gave me a business card and a recommendation to land on Old Forge airstrip. So I came in two weeks.

Pretty little town mostly centered around recreational business.

I landed, parked, opened the canopy and looked around. In couple minutes a pickup arrived with two rather serious looking gentlemen. I explained that Phil sent me here and their expression changed immediately. Small world! An RVator and a bush pilot/strip owner gave me a warm welcome.

They offered me a truck to go town but I decided to walk. Need to stretch my legs after two hours trip up north. Nice place is attached to that airstrip. Almost like Rangeley ME :)

I walked the town for about an hour really nice place. It's still between seasons and traffic was nonexistent. A local tavern was packed and couple other places were still closed. Now I have an open invitation to land at NK26 even without owning a home there. I wonder if we can bring New England Flash Mob Squadron there? What you say John (not CJ) ? :D

Last edited:
My home base - 1OA2 Mole (pvt) Grafton, OH

2rgz1v7.png

Last edited:
Several more grass strips visited.

Hancock NY. No ruts surface albeit uncut grass which takes a bit of attention till full stop.

Phillipsburg NJ 2NJ5. I flew on top of this little field for years and never seen any activity nor airplanes. Once I noticed the runway grass was moved so I circled over and made a couple passes. Two ladies came out of the house and started dragging a white long mat at the end of the runway. I thought it's an X but it was a "welcome mat". Then they waived. I landed and learned that this farm field is for sale. No airplanes have been here for 10+ years since the owner/pilot died. His plane was sold and now they are auctioning the airfield. There is no interest.

Old Orchard NY.

Greene 4N7 near Binghampton NY. Wide smooth runway with well tendered grass.

Reportedly great restaurant on the field I haven't tasted the food yet.

A short walk from the airfield there is an ice cream stand. Another two more minutes walk and there is a gas station with a food mart. With tables inside enough to accommodate at least 3 RV crews.

Westmoreland NY.

Grass

Vlad-
You forgot the instructions. Breakfast at Hancock is on SUNDAY. Not a grass strip but breakfast on Monday at Penn Yan NY. Possibly the oldest breakfast fly-in in the US.

Vlad-
You forgot the instructions. Breakfast at Hancock is on SUNDAY. Not a grass strip but breakfast on Monday at Penn Yan NY. Possibly the oldest breakfast fly-in in the US.

Instructions? Where are they Jim? I don't have a google installed in my computer. I was at Hancock on Sun May 22nd and didn't smell any food. :D

Fresh installment from past month.

NY1 Kline Kill. Very good surface. They have Big Breakfast in June.

NK17 August Field. A lot of interesting things are at that island airport. An outhouse with plumbing and running water is one of them. :)

1H1 Airlane Enterprises by Syracuse NY. Very tricky field. It looks inviting from the air but after touchdown you continue bouncing till full stop. If you go don't come hot, work your throttle, stick and brakes on rollout. Very uneven I wouldn't recommend for RVs with training wheel. :eek:

9B8 Salmon River, CT. Wins monthly contest easy come easy go.

Giffin 3PA4

This little airfield is sandwiched between the hills in a Pennsylvania valley. Almost a backcountry strip. Short with no overruns. Its caretaker is Paul Nulton. Paul won an Oshkosh award in early 1990ies and was featured in a Kit Plane magazine twenty something years ago. The worn issues are still in his hangar but when I asked him to borrow the magazines for a week he respectfully declined. Understood.

I found the field last year and shot several approaches. The glideslope was too steep and and with the winds blowing in all directions I chickened out . This year I came again. Found the strip freshly mowed and a working tractor nearby. Winds calm. So I landed and was met by two very friendly gentlemen who thanked me for coming and shook my hand.

Paul Nulton showed me the vicinity. He said very rare an aircraft is coming to here. If it comes his hard work as an airfield keeper is justified.

There is a swimming hole nearby and a nice family owned grocery store.

Paul's ultralight is in the hangar and he hadn't flown it for years. He said he crash landed it and don't have motivation to fix and fly again.

In two weeks I called Paul and came again to give him a ride. It was a challenge to take off heavy. We bailed out with right turn through the valley couldn't climb straight. Paul was operating the controls from the right seat for more then an hour. Without any chart he showed me so much within 50 NM radius I was shocked. There is at least a dozen small uncharted fields operated by farmers. Paul was pleasantly surprised by RV performance he never heard of Vans aircrafts. Imagine if he rides with Captain John! Here we are the Men in Black. :D

This is Paul the Champion of the Races year of 1963!

Later I gave a ride to Paul's son Wade. Both Nultons are natural pilots the life just got on their way to pilot certificate. Good job guys the spy will be back in September...

Last edited:
73PN Finkhaven

8 miles north of Lycoming factory along Trout Run brook there is a 1,500' airstrip. Purchased and developed by a legendary man, a WWII vet and a Cold War flyer Jeffrey Fink. With Mr Fink Sr gone west years ago the airfield is maintained by his youngest son.

You can see him down in the middle of Trout Run granting permission to land. :)

That's how approach to this field was explained by late Mr Fink to his flying friends. You fly toward this mountain till you get scared then turn right and fly to that mountain till get scared. After that you turn right again and land. So true it took me three tries to nail correct speed and slope. Field is nice but trees on both sides of the 1,500 runway eat couple feet of landing distance. :D

Fink the Junior is a super friendly gentleman. Briefed me on local spots and departure. The creek is quite shallow. Tons of crawfish.

I am not the only swimmer there. See that orange bellied turtle?

Great talk great walk great time! Thank you Sir!

Instructions? Where are they Jim? I don't have a google installed in my computer. I was at Hancock on Sun May 22nd and didn't smell any food. :D

I did not realize what a stud you are, Vlad. Anyone who can find their navel anymore without "a google installed in their computer" is, like, Survivorman, dude :eek: This takes more cajones than flying Alaskan glaciers in 60 knot headwinds.

Come see us sometime. I just mowed.

I did not realize what a stud you are, Vlad. Anyone who can find their navel anymore without "a google installed in their computer" is, like, Survivorman, dude :eek: This takes more cajones than flying Alaskan glaciers in 60 knot headwinds.

Come see us sometime. I just mowed.

Bill, you speak so not bookish English I had to enlist a linguist pilot to interpret some of your words. Your grammar, however, is surprisingly correct per Soviet textbooks circa 1988. In the meantime the herbarium list is getting thicker and thicker. 36 new grass strips are conquered within 20 days from July 29th to August 16th on a mega trip. Some of them have a lot of grass and some barely a stem or two. Let me introduce you to Russian Flat M42. The newest and roughest field I've ever been. :D

Fort Peck 37S of the most intricate layout.

7S7 Valier/Lake Francis the most picturesque (and soft) airfield.

It surprises you my grammar is correct?

Bill, you speak so not bookish English I had to enlist a linguist pilot to interpret some of your words. Your grammar, however, is surprisingly correct per Soviet textbooks circa 1988. In the meantime the herbarium list is getting thicker and thicker. 36 new grass strips are conquered within 20 days from July 29th to August 16th on a mega trip. Some of them have a lot of grass and some barely a stem or two. Let me introduce you to Russian Flat M42. The newest and roughest field I've ever been. :D

Fort Peck 37S of the most intricate layout.

7S7 Valier/Lake Francis the most picturesque (and soft) airfield.

I am heartened to hear my English grammar comports with official Soviet doctrinal expectations of the perestroika era. Evidently my primary school masters took a page or two from official Party handbook of linguistics of the 60's - 70's. Let me try some 'meme-English' on you, Vlad (after the example of Russian comedian Smirnoff, of Russian Reversal fame)

In Russian Flat, automatic roughness experiences you!

Del Bonita H28 which is also Whetstone International CEQ4 a bit weird isn't it? It's an airport of entry when you call a proper country for customs make sure you spell the proper identifier. My friend wasn't allowed to clear to Canada there because he mentioned US code. :)

Rams Fall, Canada.

Wolfs Lake, Canada. Both strips were recommended by Troy Branch.

Grignons ME62 in Maine

Saturday got to collect another one, nice little grass strip west of Bangor ME. Very good turn out for this family oriented get together. Hay rides, face painting, and more for the Kids. This was a great little fly-in. Photos of some of the RV's that made it in. To Mass group sorry I missed you guys.

These photos were taken by Tony DelMonaco

grignons_16_011.jpg

ME62

grignons_16_017.jpg

Noah on a Sat flight early morning

grignons_16_003.jpg

grignons_16_014.jpg

grignons_16_013.jpg

grignons_16_022.jpg

grignons_16_015.jpg

grignons_16_019.jpg

Lunch WAS tremendous! But the coup de gr?ce was the root beer floats, made with HOME MADE root beer and HOME MADE vanilla ice cream! These guys went ALL OUT! What a great time - the Canders brothers have put together a super fun, family oriented event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back