What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Effigy Mounds National Monument

petehowell

Well Known Member
There are some hidden gems in the National Park System that beg to be explored with our little planes. Andi and I took advantage of a 60 degree mid-November Saturday to check out the only National Monument in our home state of Iowa, Effigy Mounds. Much like Pipestone, and the Jefferson Petroglyphs, Effigy Mounds is kinda in the middle of nowhere, but that makes it more fun!

Effigy Mounds promised some great hiking, great views, and a little history along the way - and it really delivered. Andi and I loaded up and took the ~hour long hop down to Boscobel, WI where the airport manager confirmed the van was ready if we got to it first. From Boscobel is was a 40 min drive over to the park, but we got lunch first in Prairie du Chien(Prairie of the Dog??)

IMG_20151114_105106358.jpg

It was then on to the Monument along the mighty Mississippi. We told the friendly ranger we had about 2 hours and he recommended a hike up to to Twin Views and Fire Point. Along the way we saw the animal shaped burial mounds and read the numerous signs explaining what we were seeing and how they came to be discovered. The trails were well kept and while there was some vertical, the 60 deg weather was perfect for working up a light sweat.

The views from the top were top notch!

IMG_20151114_120234844.jpg

IMG_20151114_120240082.jpg

IMG_20151114_120244619.jpg

IMG_20151114_131348636.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the simple(not animal shaped) mounds at the Twin View overlook.

IMG_20151114_131544977.jpg

One more view on the way down.

IMG_20151114_131624563_HDR.jpg

I got fly, hang out with Andi, get some exercise, and get smarter in one day. I call that a win!

This is one might not excite the kids, but worth a stop if you are in the area!

Last edited:
I've flown over Boscobel on the way to Massachusetts a few times now and always thought, "that looks like a nice little airport. I wonder what's down there?"

Now I know.

Back