What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictoral Pilot

casper

Well Known Member
When you purchase a pictoral-pilot from tru-trak, what functions do you get. What components do you get
Doyle Reed RV7A

You get a nice servo, control head (Pictorial T&B with the AP functionality in it), the mounting bracket, pushrod tube, rod ends, misc hardware and a couple of solder cup D-Subs.

You'll need a few misc bolts to attach your servo and mounting bracket, and you should probalby throw away the solder cup D-Subs that come with it and use either one of their (aka-"our") pre-made install harnesses or wire it up yourself with high quality machined pins and D-Subs.

Just my experience after handling dozens and dozens of these things!

Cheers,
Stein.

NOW you tell me. Just finished installing my Pictorial Pilot and Altrak - using the D-sub connectors that came with them. So what's the problem with them? I'm sure not going to change them at this point, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

Thanks,

John Miller :(

The "solder cup" dsubs are not the best type to install in a high vibration type environment like aircraft. They are OK, but the problem is that a large majority of solder cup type connectors will have a failure at some point. It's usually not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

The reason isn't that the connectors themselves are bad, but usually from the solder connections of the user. Many times the wire actually wicks a bit of the solder into the wire conductor itself, and it becomes brittle. After a period of vibration, the wire just breaks.

Don't get too worried...if you did a good job with the solder joints and have a good backshell as well as strain relief installed, you're a long way towards preventing a broken wire. That being said, the crimped on pins are far superior (albeit much more expensive).....or.....you just buy one of the install harnesses, plug it in and be done!

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

The 9 and 15 pin "D" connectors, etc.

My connectors (picked them up today) came with plastic backshells and they are long enough to support well beyound normal wicking. If you wick past them you probably have melted the connector insert and have splayed the pins. You should not have a problem unless you did not install the strain relief backshells - then wires will break. The only question is how long.

By the way there are two different Pictorial Pilots - I got the 3 1/8" size because that is the size of the hole I already have for the turn coordinator it is replacing. The other size is the smaller standard 2+something". The 3+ has an inclinometer the smaller one does not. They are both fine. I am also putting in the altitude hold system which is separate.
Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Speaking of the Altrak Altitude hold, if you're installing one at the moment, you might consider running one extra wire in preparation for the soon to be released Altrak "VS" which will have the Vertical Speed option (little knob).

As always, Trutrak will give you full "trade up" credit on your Altrak to upgrade to the upcoming "VS" addition.

Just a thought for those of you installing an Altrak at the moment!

Cheers,
Stein.

Use SN63 solder

By the way when you solder use SN63 solder (~63 % tin 37% lead) because it goes from liquid to solid with no plastic state. It will probably save you from a disturbed solder joint or two.

Bob Axsom

Pictorial Pilot

Does anybody have any experience with this unit ? Does the head really work as a primary flight instrument? Does it require GPS input for the autopilot to work ? How much does the servo assembly weigh ? Does it have a magnetometer in it ? Where does the heading info come from ? Is it easily installed ?

It looks attractive but there is ZERO information on this unit that I can find.

FYI I have a vacuum AI that's dead. I think it's time to "retire" the vacuum system. I was going to order a Dynon but really only need the AI right now. I was thinking of the Pictorial Pilot to replace the AI and get a wing leveler in the bargain (so to speak). I could then order the Dynon later when I remove the vacuum system.

Any opinions on this idea ? Sorry to ask so many questions.

John

John_RV4 said:
FYI I have a vacuum AI that's dead. I think it's time to "retire" the vacuum system. I was going to order a Dynon but really only need the AI right now. I was thinking of the Pictorial Pilot to replace the AI and get a wing leveler in the bargain (so to speak). I could then order the Dynon later when I remove the vacuum system.

Any opinions on this idea ? Sorry to ask so many questions.

John

The Pictorial Pilot is to replace the turn coordinator. It has no "pitch" information.

At Sun 'N Fun, I saw TruTrak's soon to be released "ADI" box. My understanding it's basically a Pictorial Pilot with pitch added. In otherwords, dual axis. Price was about $2,700. Since the Pictorial Pilot is about $2,000, you would pay about $700 for the second axis.

The instrument looks just like the Pictorial Pilot, only has the pitch in addition to roll. Replaces or backs up an attitude gyro.

Pictorial ADI unit

At Sun 'N Fun, I saw TruTrak's soon to be released "ADI" box. My understanding it's basically a Pictorial Pilot with pitch added. In otherwords, dual axis. Price was about $2,700. Since the Pictorial Pilot is about $2,000, you would pay about $700 for the second axis.

The instrument looks just like the Pictorial Pilot, only has the pitch in addition to roll. Replaces or backs up an attitude gyro.

Sorta. My understanding of the ADI box is that "pitch" info is actually derived from VSI pitot data, not actual aircraft attitude. So the unit indicates "pitch up" when the VSI senses an increase in altitude, not necessarily an actual change in aircraft pitch.

This would probably be better than no "pitch" info, but since I haven't flown the unit or talked to anyone who has, I am not sure how well it actually replaces an attitude indicator.

In my opinion, the best backup for an AI/EFIS in an electric panel is an autopilot with altitude hold and the determination and knowledge to use it when things get dicey.

Sam Buchanan

Back