What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro Seal Question

dweyant

Well Known Member
I'm working on finishing up my Empenage kit.

I have finished the rudder and the right elevator except for the trailing edge.

It looks like the instructions say to use ProSeal for both of those and the left elevator trailing edge.

I ordered a tube of the medium size Proseal.

Should it be enough to do all three trailing edges? Will it last long enough after I put the activator in to do the three parts a few days apart, or do folks by three separate tubes worth?

Thanks,

-Dan

Not sure which one you have but -B2 is 2 hour work life, -B 1/2 has a half hour work life.

Nope. Once you mix it, it will start to cure. Save the tube for your fuel tanks and buy another kit in the can. Alternatively, the new method is a double-sided tape instead of proseal. I get to try it on ailerons soon. Its got to be better than waiting for proseal to cure here in the tundra.

So, you wind up buying three tubes of proseal to do the empenage?

Rudder, Left Elevator, Right Elevator?

Thanks,

-Dan

No. Buy a pint kit in a can with a seperate jar of activator. You can mix up little dabs as needed. I probably use it in a dozen places on a build.

No. Buy a pint kit in a can with a seperate jar of activator. You can mix up little dabs as needed. I probably use it in a dozen places on a build.

Ok, a follow up dumb question.

Who sells the pint can? Van's had 1 oz, quart, and the tube thing (that is what I bought).

-Dan

Nope. Once you mix it, it will start to cure. Save the tube for your fuel tanks and buy another kit in the can. Alternatively, the new method is a double-sided tape instead of proseal. I get to try it on ailerons soon. Its got to be better than waiting for proseal to cure here in the tundra.

I searched but couldn't find " the new method" Im just staring emp kit. cold you shed some light ?

Open the tube your sealant comes in and put the hardener in a small container (I used a pill bottle) and the white goo in a bigger one (I used a plastic tub from sour cream). Separately, they'll keep long enough.

Use three separate popsicle sticks for mixing them in a third container. One for the white stuff, one for the black hardener and the third for mixing. That way the separate containers won't get contaminated and you can use what you need.

There's more than enough for the job. I did exactly this for all the stiffeners on the rudder and the three, sigh, elevators I made and there's enough, I think, for the flaps and ailerons too, if I wanted to pro-seal those stiffeners. Granted, the RV-3 is smaller than the other planes but even so.

Dave

IMHO, the 1 oz Proseal Kit is best..

Vans sells a little 1 ounce kit of proseal, which IMHO worked best for the empennage kit. I ordered 3 of them, then used one for the rudder and one for each elevator/trim tab combo (RV-10). You might be able to get by with less. If you keep them in the fridge and mix then "slightly cold" the work time is more than enough for the trailing edges. You can buy the "can" kit later when you get to your fuel tanks. If you go with QB wings, you might not even do your tanks...

Back