What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Break In Oil

retpd2001

I am using Aeroshell Mineral oil in my first 10 hours, changing the oil at 10 with more of the same, then after an additional 25 hours, going to regular oil (?). Agreed, or use the break in mineral oil longer? In a Lycoming 360. Thanks.

I know a lot of folks do that but I also learned and heard from others that Exxon Elite was worth the extra price. So if I am sticking with the mineral oil, the question I still have in my mind is, change at 10, then 25, then another oil?

50 hours

The fellow that built my engine works for Lycoming, he insisted on mineral oil for the first 50 hours, I did this and then went to the Exon Elite. I know some don?t do this, maybe that?s ok, either way I have no regrets, 1216 hours since 2006, using a quart in 20 hours, compressions are 79/80 cold.

The fellow that built my engine works for Lycoming, he insisted on mineral oil for the first 50 hours, I did this and then went to the Exon Elite. I know some don?t do this, maybe that?s ok, either way I have no regrets, 1216 hours since 2006, using a quart in 20 hours, compressions are 79/80 cold.
Thanks Russ......

I doubt there will be serious repercussions from changing from straight to multi at 35hrs (as you suggest) or 85hrs (assuming you do 50hrs to the next change).

The engine manufacturers make clear that the change should only take place when Oil Consumption stabilises. You cannot judge that until you get there - that said I suspect from my experience at 35hrs it will have done.

Other factors will be the weather / season if there is a need to swap straight oil grade... Low use when it is worth changing early etc.

As above, my engine man insists minimum of 50hrs mineral...

Back