What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio noise if GPS signal cable connected

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo.
I have an ICOM210 radio and a Garmin 696 GPS, both panel mounted.
I am experiencing continuous radio noise, apart when VHF is receiving audio.
I noticed that if I disconnect the GPS cable the noise goes away.
What could be the problem?
Thanks and happy Christmas.
Camillo

Boungiorno! Buon Natale!

Here's a thought: Even though the cables to both the GPS antennae and com antennae are shielded, if they are running close to each other, especially if they are bundled in the same electrical wiring bundle, information in the form of frequency noise can "spill" from the GPS antennae to the com coax. I'd track how close the cables are to each other.

Congratulations on your beginning of test flying!

Thnsk-you.

Thanks. Yes. It may be cables running together. I will check them.
Flights are going well. She is really a beautiful plane. Even if with afixed-pitch propeller, she has the same take-off performance of my sold -9A constant speed propeller. And bank angle is tremendous... along with speed!

Assicurati che le antenne siano montate ad almeno 60 cm o più, l'una dall'altra. Ciò ha causato problemi ad alcuni aerei, ma non a tutti.

Make sure the antennas are mounted at least 60cm, or more, apart from each other. This has caused problems in some, but not all, aircraft.

:cool:

Last edited:
Last Saturday I tried to solve the issue.
I rerouted the earphones shielded audio line, with no result.
Then I tried to switch the radio on and then powering one by one the other stuff (engine off). Well, the source of the problem is the SkyView display. When I switch it ON, the radio starts "creeping". Strange thing it only makes this on 130.00 and not on 125.75.
I believe the strong magnetic field of the SV hits the Icom 210 body.
I wouldn't like to redisegn my panel to relocate the com...
May it help adding some material between the icom and the SV?
Thanks.
Camillo

You're partially correct -- the SV is radiating RF/RMI probably from the LCD drivers or DC-DC switchers, which is coupling into the audio circuitry. Try to install a ferrite choke around the INPUT's to the ICOM radio and/or loop the wiring through a ferrite core a couple of times. Google Ferrite Bead or Ferrite Choke for sources.

Cheers,

B

Last edited:
Make sure you have a very good grounds and you don't have some corrosion or dirt in the connections. Make sure they have a good solid contact, especially the ground to the Dynon display and the Icom radio. Don't forget to check and make sure you have a good solid ground connection where the Icom radio antenna attaches to the airframe. Poor grounds at this location has given problems before.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thank.you, Brian and Galin.
I am pretty sure the grounds are OK. I will first install the ferrite gizmos...
I will keep you updated.
Thanks.
Camillo

Problem solved

I flew for a couple of years with this issue.
I brought the radio to a local repair facility which found it was not properly set (even if it was new when bought).
Problem still there, however less noticeable.
Last sunday the discover! A friend of mine had the same issue and bought a second identical radio. Same problem. At the end he discovered it was the 8.33 spacing. Reset to 25 and it went OK. Mine too...

Back