What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which self etch rattle can is better, Mar-Hyde or SEM?

Which self etching rattle can primer do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jpurban

Which self-etch rattle can primer do you prefer?

For those out there that have used self etching primers in rattle cans, I'd like for you to vote your experience... I'm getting ready to start an empennage kit and thought I'd see what the majority of users are using.

Update... I'm seeing a lot of "Other" votes and mentions of Duplicolor. I'll see if I can add that to the poll.

Last edited:
I voted Napa's primer only because it is what is available to me locally, not because it's best. Best as in durability is likely going to be a two part epoxy.
Regards.

I have used both NAPA and SEM, I liked SEM much better, it goes on much smoother and dries very quickly. Also very durable, just little more expensive than NAPA

-david

Primer

For our empennage we started out using Dupli-Color self-etching primer. The stuff is great but expensive in large quantities (and expensive to ship since it's HAZMAT). It dries very quickly and you're ready to rivet just a short time after you've sprayed it. We found the best deal for it at NAPA Auto Parts.

I used Har-Hyde as that was popular with the guys on the RV-list and local builders way back in the late 90s when I started my plane. I used it on interior peices as I was building. Everything got a coat of epoxy primer and epoxy top coat (PPG Concept) after installed. No signs of wearing, pealing, or cracking after 5 years and 450+ hours of flying.
Exterior all done with PPG self etching primer, epoxy primer, and epoxy top coat. Paint is bullet proof.

Current favorite is Duplicolor Self-Etching from Advanced Auto - $5/can, does a great job, goes on easy.

I used the Napa rattle can very happy with it. The paint I sprayed on 8 years ago looks the same as the day it went on. the cockpit and baggage area I top coated with PPG concept paint, the two stuck together very well. As for any primer and paint, prep is everything. but there is no question a two part primer is much more durable and can Handel the fuels and oils.

Mar-Hyde from a can is inferior to Duplicolor Self Etch you can get at any auto parts place or places like Wal-Mart. I discovered the Duplicolor about 1/2 way thru my build and it is awesome stuff.

For large parts and skins, I used the waterborne primer from Stewart Systems. This stuff is awesome once you learn how to spray it. Best part about using it is the cleanup!

My vote was for SEM.

Whichever you use, get one of these handles. It makes applying it much easier.

The other tricks I learned to put it on smoothly was to heat the paint by placing the can in front of a small space heater and wipe the nozzle every few passes.

I voted for 'Other'. I have used SEM, which is excellent despite cost. But best bang for buck would be Duplicolor Self Etching Primer.

Voted for other

I initially used Nason, which my local paint store recommended over the sherwin Williams. I couldn't ventilate well enough though and eventually went to Stewart systems Eco prime and have been very happy (although I realize this isn't a rattle can answer)

PPG Specialty

My local auto paint shop carries PPG products. I've been happy with their Specialty Performance Products SX1031 Etch Prime - Gray.

Long ago I read somewhere that SW 988 was the same as Napa self etching primer. I have no idea if it is true.

I believe SW 988 is not the same as NAPA

Long ago I read somewhere that SW 988 was the same as Napa self etching primer. I have no idea if it is true.

I checked the MSDS sheets for both:

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/media/msds/English/1213.pdf
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/871602.pdf

and the ingredients appear to be different.

I have more primer info on my primer wiki page:

http://avraero.com/wiki/index.php?title=Primers

and here's some more info:

http://aeropunk.com/builders-log/knowledge-base/priming-and-corrosion-control/

Alex, thanks for assembling that extensive list of primers. Very useful table given the links.

Bill, I'm with Bruce. Where did you source that clever rattle-can applicator?

Everyone seems to like what they chose to use, so far. Are there no disappointing results from any of these products?

Jack

I'm not Bill, but I found the same rattle can handles at Home Depot Aviation Supply - they cost a couple of bucks, and are worth WAY more than that!

SEM wins, hands down

I'd like to add some experience here... I started with the Napa 7220 because of this thread. Later in the project, I bought a can of SEM to try something different b/c I wasn't having good results with the 7220.

It's not even close. The SEM primer is on a different level as far as ease and consistency of application, drying time, and most importantly durability. The Napa stuff is complete ****, imo. I wish I used SEM from the beginning. In fact, I resprayed several parts.

Rustoleum from Home Depot

If you haven't tried the self-etching primer from Rustoleum sold at home depot and lowes you should. I found it to be much better in a number of ways.

It goes on smoother, sticks better and lasts longer. I've been using it on aircraft restoration projects for years. Some of the Sem and NAPA primers cause certain cover coats to wrinkle this one doesn't.

It works great on both steel and aluminium, drys fast and applies nice.

And no I don't have stock in the company.

:)

SEM works for me...

but I have found some paints wrinkle when top coating SEM. I have not figured out what is causing this, but suspect application issues rather than a problem with the SEM itself.
Generally, SEM appears to be rugged and fast drying. I like it, and will continue using it for the interior as it is easy to touch up any areas that show wear.

Nappa vs SEN

I've used both Nappa and SEM. In my experience, Nappa self etch did
Not adhere as well, scratchs off easily
and is not as durable as SEM. Also, over steel, they both will
rust through. Epoxy is by far the best way to go over steel. Also use epoxy on high wear areas.

What are you using to clean/prep the surface before applying the NAPA or SEM rattle can primers?

My paint shop (SEM) recommended:
Scuff with red pad
De-grease/clean with water and Dawn dish soap
Water rinse
Vinegar etch
Water rinse (water should sheet)

This seemed to work pretty well. I tried skipping one or more steps on scrap; paint didn?t adhere as well.

Back