What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin? Team X introduces the G5 electronic flight instrument

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Garmin Team X introduces the G5 electronic flight instrument

G5 Electronics Flight Instrument

We are extremely excited to announce the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument for the experimental and LSA markets! The compact and cost-effective G5 delivers exceptional performance and reliability serving as either a back-up instrument to G3X?, other EFIS systems, as a standalone primary flight instrument, and with optional autopilot integration when paired with a Garmin autopilot controller and servos. Boasting a bright, 3.5-inch sunlight readable liquid crystal display (LCD) with built-in GPS, the G5 displays attitude, ground track, altitude, airspeed, groundspeed, vertical speed, slip/skid, course (lateral) deviation, vertical deviation and incorporates a dedicated HSI page. Even more capabilities are available when integrated with a G3X glass flight displays integrated flight system. Minimum advertised price (MAP):

G5 Electronic Flight Instrument - $1199
G5 Optional Backup Battery - $150
G5 Installation Kit - $50

G5 product demonstration video

G5/GMA 245/245R seminar presentation

G5 documentation

Rh0hZKNIVzcAGVC8iA-Pnt91e-zBYMK4rN4rVt0A0vbYnEoQJsURQjNL6yCBretavc34ZsZusp4Zb--l9ZtTxozkx0bmujIwYQFD4hrE77MfDHQgQQaG2GvlWMRsZY857sOSPY1lvAna2EhlILPDs4ZAt9t1VDM9GnjJNwCQpKeokLMObGgWsRHybPGohP1CWDhP7AmVqSCFjg-sQzvB0Ey0fGDDf7RAofzhiRDe-vi0SpWb8X5-OvVPd2UR5Lff4tAFbsOB37uxvdQC0NRqcunHTOY4TMI65Y8p9sUF1na1GsKmVbRYJEbOIQBWtisWyFwlV1qq4PPJfA2Q1H_UhTdDNrRZWpBkAQ36XWXOaZvCsC_ivF5L-t5tZHV-60Yd16Nfox1Gin9SXWRAyhj1vEDT2fXsuJibgxMWUJ0DorS4gmB4MwYVlVwgCryP5og7VpQQZIlZziXVBq_xRXh6BB8lhYQg6bzgOr-G8LcluOp5W5oJT-vFxxyrMsygy4TxDV7unRQAg4SQEMQ88r4tb-wdnHXIDHyvVI0YPxc55YQRIpgDRAYzR_PIXw-5anrOrS5h=w288-h307-no

hlmME9Yfd4cdK5-3UD_yDYjPqpcwzA3rXUKadSk-r8RUUQRX2jdHlZ-PLRErEllUh-Iswzm22oIQonJJ2AiDkJpVXsa38-TSZGg1tYpn2JeWtO8BKAeFGBHBqllDbythIQv8VdlREBL8TMJqsCVoGwJQ6m5kw0M3ytJY2IVd5aCxJ7hr2SPoCYgLLiY-6JhwXhfUPWfnDybAEwLpcuoU_uIb8ziF7wQV5H0arnlhuOUgKFdT510H3I8n_Q3QWd_YLo0Vlw_wbnPnmqwZnIIef0gOoaYtjQDKvJRKOGQS0FreS_GtsblAhp4ioMg2D0wO763e6FiGAIp3k_9yqsbhbkcghRTUSTmwwcJZZlFyrd2_ipjbfJSCXeqboA1NPV4lO66gwQZ0IzT8RRD-Fxm8sSAEwjp6D5SgC1N1W5gu9kbS-7iT42UEkZ8oGFj3hqXhSyuFzMBf7M2GxoFA2H3NTPT2yHQ0_qGa50vsAADDqyQcfU1Bn9EHaS6LKZINWQ3Pac-SEOMFEd4NK27g32HjACNxPmVbkUnwV_oZAt6PVUun2IUErpvv32cc4OokRcy8PUWX=w288-h307-no

The G5 can be installed in a standard 3-1/8-inch (79.4 mm.) hole and takes the place of many traditional flight instruments. The mounting ring even allows reuse of the standard instrument screw locations and the back of the unit includes recessed areas for the screws which secure the mounting ring to allow the G5 to mount flush to the instrument panel after it is inserted into the mounting ring and secured with a hex wrench through a single hole in the front. No panel removal or modification required!

n49jGzy6iTUyUUm0RfzsNWU-b28W6soqz-OVxv-NH4JQsRMWEyjpCs06GIco7QuvJexATjV9uSms7XWr6LcVGqBGW9beFvxv2g-oxeLriMEp1NQYrrfSQtNOD_fT03NOd2CYKHSkmlG6YaRfk2OulYoZ-WZvdIMHURfk9f8fVKh-Vxq3bt7TaPNFp5XlnOCLHvQgAvGEJHNsZLpP70HSxaVi-WqHE85te2-xjoqbNYqVKIlbVHLk1TAGN7M0ahD0werh2kI8vZ1BA-4Rf85zKwMZowT8-eaiOpNRde2x19rSUKwM1tfqBuTUlVLV9DqACdPjjZbbOgynM5253ukJld_LUlhVFCaVDMdmYo70w3FYIjCEgwmrK457HrjyzC90KRAfk5IpZRVsc4YUdVrRscr8obpn1ABUVVlrvjq24dXnBFL9bWatUUZ4NYbEj-2fABnaSBczRjoxH8-6MnDICbYlqPgugL4uVJJWgzgOhMb7QB1TPfnuNHKi9cXKuhLDSd1dr1MYfiGGYmK1i5rmrPb-rBYFX6Qgq8S1Pj6Gr1S0EUZDeMGLkJDFkNvFSWNcQXvQ=w624-h511-no

An optional four-hour back-up battery can be included with a G5 installation to provide pilots with added assurance in the event of an aircraft electrical failure.

0s9GHPqfaKb30_hNOn5H2pKkSR06eBemRx1nyrgQ1ZSYSUjjrqDX72VejKzo3UMrvKTOvfj8NgL3DPLFQqPAT1WB6IJRQ0H53uKTAfmIVYS81URRIECJaZnYVhoICxsqd5id2PRARjRuWaEYr6n842taP5YmGMm4QNvOe0fcYiNyx5APlneRS9GlbPYu3aEsGcj3_wLAVqsqYcZgmsdZ7A5eu5LtkyNqpekXreFDAWWQMiOHdpeIpa6NjvSkRjGFbhxMZ5YaxfktdvyIMr0Zk343k_4ZRo9s7IsRE93711OuBxZwxsyr5mLu_eWdE6c0iN4GQ09UdF3FawZQ0VWuQXCvjv1HXRNtwDdNudv311_JFpdBqliHsMZrUBibssz_JFj82cVU387P0GkNznCjaq9S9KiNX9YhIqs-C-_-dq0Ke1B8d7gOMgGXATJpb6XfmUCiTpUFihYi_yZ2ShIVCgwO79l4TrBt8ZgW9Io87RwMOVP6AIaIJMjNfp70Do7_p1MRrl35UuyU7ntqLTnVRPSw0Aq7zSmTPdmGYjIXrXnsvB5WOJmZSFOs8ID7swpxQR_M=w475-h307-no

The easy to install G5 flight instrument measures 3-inches in depth when paired with the back-up battery and 2.1-inches without the battery. Installation is further simplified as the G5 incorporates pitot and static inputs that integrate with the aircraft?s existing pitot/static system. The G5 includes a built-in GPS antenna, however an external GPS antenna is optionally available if needed.

The fully integrated G5 electronic flight instrument serves as an independent and dissimilar flight instrument when paired with G3X and G3X Touch glass flight displays. In the unlikely loss of G3X primary ADAHRS data, the G5 doubles as a redundant ADAHRS source, which can supply the appropriate air data, and attitude information to G3X displays. Further expanding its redundant capabilities, autopilot mode annunciation can also display on the G5 flight instrument in the unlikely event of a complete G3X display loss.

psubZUkoVMfuH89_m5Irw2DTzujt9Hj8UFG5MYufkTauwTxg3_s9fiXa6M2cNsAGhk_7tD6469ZI3e1ICSVsrVGf9YicU7mhqpGrKgaL6afhBQM7yNvxEAYa6K3Bjem1ZF9787cRFQ78iqQ2Uk2I-OUf-S1P8haHecyWGcH8IctGt7pnSA2UlU-dVp4k3slnO_9O6UGIvb_P7V7o0vsaf58yEzvuMHdAY-QyKXvEZfQhXbMpRF5j8j36tvT5862mBvHwMF2mxNVwpuVxPl1GSz91ij32EWBWkGXH9cjtboTspSxdYkIHCAHUXWcl1WGM4nOt24ud29po8K4V3gfgRjM1PCQSmK5RMb3OjB-dGWcKbpZ6GeXZPWhcdIrHhbh9GVpOuNU_eG1egs8rUk7FJyJjEKocSeSl1LckebrYbi-GcaD9pT2UWDuFnU0iFGe796cZMWU9MsFJMxY5BIRRHNZw4kfkxNbA9n3eQTqoeRoOa7k6FU0nTb3JTdvea4bhhEbi3rg9-OFJ3i5NyWdjaqocxJCj_3uOHWawTgFMUMN4hKvYuVj9Nl3y3VPmdKPoVM1L=w288-h307-no

G3X customers can also leverage the existing G3X magnetometer for heading information, alleviating the need to calibrate and install a separate magnetometer. Pilots who have configured airspeed bugs within their G3X system will notice the same airspeed configurations are displayed on the G5 automatically. Depending on ambient cockpit lighting, the G5 display automatically dims and brightens independently from G3X to ensure the display can be easily viewed in all lighting environments. A dedicated rotary knob allows for easy adjustments to altitude and heading bugs, as well as barometric altitude settings, which automatically syncs with the G3X or G3X Touch flight displays.

Last edited:
[Continued?]

Further expanding the utility of a standard back-up display, the G5 electronic flight instrument can be paired with the GMC 307 or GMC 305 autopilot mode controllers and GSA 28 autopilot servos to serve as a standalone autopilot solution, delivering a simple and cost-effective avionics suite. When paired with these systems, the G5 displays autopilot mode annunciation alongside primary flight instrumentation. If paired with a Garmin portable such as the aera? 660 or aera 796/795, the portable can easily be connected via the serial port on the G5 to allow the autopilot to couple laterally to a flight plan and vertically to a VNAV descent profile. The installation would be well set up for future expansion to a full G3X suite if desired.

_n0hrI0JD3xBvSdaDj-dBXkx5dO21gA2nKdE22TUNdo70h4zziNmmoz5bbJruUhZFOsjxj-HCti8DY_WGEim87a7gnR7FQq-TTsAGe5rOnG3Ska2kFtmCdRbV7kq-0QEM6n75zBrLb9nlx5FNY3LhZIrvBMVKKXgxeBlK_oNoRaAQHyH22YYUUR3BIwMuWxkpgfxSZBjpWuj6csu8e7oYplLKlu6iA0DAjbLS7WFcOjNMlz9iAEu6WJATbj8vhCZ3ls7Tl9s4dAdMGkr6syGsSrP865bHBKAo2MCwQ1coeH-g7JCuQiYquK4F1vvxmhpD3XGahzK18fzVaHC-pF5i8SLID8jBQ-LdyqDufSjjB5aOLVfMsc8JUoPj1rZuhdbd32-8bGoz_VIUgv8M39E2T8SGXNvSXwqwsyFzWOaN7EhFsmJJLtItkzE64I8n4lQc4jLxCMnDhuDzR1Ggsl5AWsamY0J2PwEzjmX6cyFE3S_rjQt6aHNY8yefIOSc_Dy9OZ_t1-909iM6_igY6au3evMclWefbfl29YhNLmfa8jFtwq3TrQBpDOH5ud6xk2EuqDh=w624-h510-no

With or without a G3X display, the G5 retains the capability to provide back-up or standalone autopilot functionality, including the ability to fly coupled GPS approaches when paired with a compatible IFR navigator. Additional autopilot modes are selectable from the GMC 307 and GMC 305 including heading, pitch, roll, altitude hold, vertical speed hold and airspeed hold. When the autopilot is engaged, airspeed protection is also provided. Additionally, Level Mode is supported, which engages the autopilot to bring the aircraft to level flight.

As usual, if you have any questions or feedback, please contact a Garmin dealer or reach us directly using the information in our signature line below.

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited:
Please stop! You are making us spend too much money!:D Any chance of having a Bluetooth connection to an Ipad so that Garmin Pilot can "drive" the G5 as a position source in a back up or stand alone scenario?

Can it be used as a dedicated HSI display (ARINC input?) when not paired with a G3X system?

Please stop! You are making us spend too much money!:D Any chance of having a Bluetooth connection to an Ipad so that Garmin Pilot can "drive" the G5 as a position source in a back up or stand alone scenario?

The G5 has an RS-232 interface that will allow it to follow an external device like a portable GPS. No way to wirelessly connect to the G5.

Thanks,
Brian

With or without a G3X display, the G5 retains the capability to provide back-up or standalone autopilot functionality, including the ability to fly coupled GPS approaches when paired with a compatible IFR navigator.

Maybe this is a naive question:

If these are Experimental and not TSO'd, how are they legal to fly instrument approaches even when attached to something that is legal?

BTW, beautiful product!

Maybe this is a naive question:

If these are Experimental and not TSO'd, how are they legal to fly instrument approaches?

BTW, beautiful product!

They must be coupled with an IFR Navigator such as the GNS/GTN series.

900X out in the cold?

What about the 900X users? Are we left further out in the cold? It seems Garmin quit making advances in the 900X architecture when the G3X came out. I'm still waiting for an ADS-B solution!

regards

-Marc

For those pilots who wish to install the G5 as a backup to other brands of glass, is an external magnetometer required or can the G5 be set to display GPS ground track in the absence of a magnetic heading source?

Absent an external magnetic heading source, is the unit still operable? How is operation affected?

This is an exciting product for sure, Garmin!

Garmin guys, can you expand on this statement?

"independent and dissimilar flight instrument"

Hello Upperdeck,

Thanks for asking this question. It is an important one.

When we developed the original product goals and features, high on the list was a requirement that the unit be the most robust and trusted backup instrument on the market for customers using any brand of EFIS system, including Garmin G3X and G3X Touch.

To accomplish this, we knew we needed to maintain a high level of independence and dissimilarity in both the hardware and software design such that a common mode fault in either hardware or software that could simultaneously affect both the G3X system and the backup instrument be extremely improbable, if not impossible.

We started by choosing brand new attitude sensors. We have great sensors in the GSU 25 ADAHRS and would have liked to re-use those, but to have the best assurance that no common mode fault of these sensors could possibly jeopardize the display of attitude information (however remote!), new sensors were chosen, incorporated, and tested.

On the software side we started with a brand new simplified Garmin operating system that isn't common with the one used in the G3X displays (which is quite large, complex, and capable in comparison).

We kept out many features common to EFIS systems like internal database loading/use (and thus synthetic vision) and Bluetooth to keep from having to re-use or re-develop large bodies of code that are used in the G3X displays. Not only is the G5 display rather compact in comparison to the big displays and thus not the best place to attempt to show synthetic vision, but we didn't want a backup instrument with over a million lines of code! We even developed a new graphics library that operates very differently than the one used in the G3X displays.

Even the backlight is handled in a dissimilar manner. Instead of following an aircraft lighting bus that might be common to the large displays, the G5 uses either photocell backlighting control or manual (your choice).

All of these features in combination with built-in independent WAAS GPS receiver, airspeed, and altitude sensors means you can install this instrument with confidence in any aircraft regardless of the brand of EFIS system you are using.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
What about the 900X users? Are we left further out in the cold? It seems Garmin quit making advances in the 900X architecture when the G3X came out. I'm still waiting for an ADS-B solution!

regards

-Marc

Hi Marc,

Reference this post that outlines an upcoming G900X software release. If you reach out to us directly using the information below, we'd be happy to help with any questions.

Thanks,
Brian

Can it share the WAAS GPS antenna or does it need another dedicated?

The G5 actually has both a built in GPS receiver and an antenna optimized to receive signal through the front of the display bezel. We expect most installations will be just fine using the built in antenna, but the option for an external GPS antenna exists if for some reason the installation blocks GPS reception. You can't split a GPS antenna, so in those rare cases GPS is not received by the built-in antenna, a separate GA 26C antenna would be required.

Thanks,
Brian

You can't split a GPS antenna...

Not completely true. There are a few companies out there that make purpose built GPS splitters. I use one made by GPS Networking (https://www.gpsnetworking.com/product-categories/standard-splitters) which I split a Gilsson GPS puck antenna mounted under my cowl with my GDL39 and NavWorx ADS600-EXP. Works fabulously. There are certain failure modes you have to be aware of with these splitters, as they are not as redundant as having separate GPS antennas.

Question for the G3Xpert - is there any possibility for the G5 to display AOA derived from the Garmin or Dynon pitot tubes?

Panel

This is exciting as far as upgrading steam gauges more easily than a complete panel re-do.

Can I replace both my AI and DG dedicating them to my 430W? Then, eliminate my vacuum system (or use it as a redundant AI), remove my Garmin CDI (a location to place the redundant AI) and use the new electronic HSI and AI/flight director as my primary instruments for navigation display and instrument flight?

Somewhat related....what pins out on the 430W DSUB can drive this? I have 56 and 47 driving the transponder and Trio autopilot now. Eventually, I would probably upgrade the autopilot to use this system but baby steps....

Thanks,
John
(in Garmin's back yard....I can be there this afternoon!)

clarification

In my post above, I am asking about purchasing two units to replace both instruments. After I posted it, I realized that it looks like I was asking about using one unit, replacing both (not a bad question in itself, I guess)

Thanks.
John

For those pilots who wish to install the G5 as a backup to other brands of glass, is an external magnetometer required or can the G5 be set to display GPS ground track in the absence of a magnetic heading source?

Absent an external magnetic heading source, is the unit still operable? How is operation affected?

This is an exciting product for sure, Garmin!

Hello Kurt,

Good question. Since the G5 has a built-in WAAS GPS, it will automatically display GPS ground track when used in a system without a magnetometer and is fully operational.

The first picture in the original posting actually shows it displaying ground TRK.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm assuming we can make the G5 the end of the can bus hopefully!

Hi Jon,

Yes, the G5 installation kit even includes a CAN termination adapter that plugs onto the 9 pin connector on the back of the G5 so you can quickly move the CAN bus termination to the G5 if you extend an existing CAN bus.

Thanks,
Steve

i assume software updates are expected to be released for these during it's service life, what is the process going to be to load software on them? in reading about the extra measures to insure separate hardware/sensors, i'm curious of the plan for software separation since it is also tied into CAN

i assume software updates are expected to be released for these during it's service life, what is the process going to be to load software on them? in reading about the extra measures to insure separate hardware/sensors, i'm curious of the plan for software separation since it is also tied into CAN

Hi Brian,

The G5 has a micro SD card slot right in the front that supports user installed free software updates.

The G3X and G3X Touch software updates in the future will also include the latest G5 software so it will be automatically updated over the CAN bus in these installations.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin guys, can you expand on this statement?

"independent and dissimilar flight instrument"

Hello Upperdeck,

Thanks for asking this question. It is am important one.

Good question, Upperdeck - you beat me to it - and an even better answer, Steve. It's very cool to see Garmin work hard to implement dissimilar redundancy in an E-AB product.

It's a good thing I waited a couple of months to get my panel cut. Steve, is there a full-size image on the Garmin website that I can print out to do some remedial panel planning?

Dave

Last edited:
Questions for Garmin Experts,

Absent G3X, does the Garmin G5 have capability to drive the Garmin GTX 23ES Transponder?

Absent G3X, will the G5 provide engine monitoring capabilities provide the Garmin GEA EIS is installed?

Thanks,

100% Garmin

Son of a bitch! I've only had my airplane for a month. I just asked Pahan to order me one. Hopefully we can install it at Oshkosh. Hey Steve, do you need an airplane with 100% Garmin equipment to display at Oshkosh? Make sure to get Pahan a G5 for me!

Is this actually going to cost $1199, or is it like every other company that requires you to buy the $800 AHRS, $350 magnetometer, etc, that ultimately doubles or triples the advertised cost?

Son of a bitch! I've only had my airplane for a month. I just asked Pahan to order me one. Hopefully we can install it at Oshkosh. Hey Steve, do you need an airplane with 100% Garmin equipment to display at Oshkosh? Make sure to get Pahan a G5 for me!

Brian, you'll still be 30% Apple

Is this actually going to cost $1199, or is it like every other company that requires you to buy the $800 AHRS, $350 magnetometer, etc, that ultimately doubles or triples the advertised cost?

You obviously don't know Garmin very well!

Questions for Garmin Experts,

Absent G3X, does the Garmin G5 have capability to drive the Garmin GTX 23ES Transponder?

Absent G3X, will the G5 provide engine monitoring capabilities provide the Garmin GEA EIS is installed?

Thanks,

Hello Charlie,

The RS-232 Inputs and Outputs on the G5 are separately configurable and one of the output choices is Altitude Encoder, but this is designed to support the customer that doesn't have a G3X system and needs his G5 to be the altitude encoder for his panel mount transponder.

For your G3X system with remote GTX23ES transponder, you still need a functional display and ADAHRS to keep the transponder functional and remote controllable.

The G5 doesn't provide backup engine instruments.

Thanks,
Steve

Dual G5 setup

It seems like you could put in two of these units one over the other with upper set up as attitude and lower set up as HSI, as is depicted. Is that pretty easy to do? Would I have a backup attitude indicator in that case, if one failed?
Thanks,

It seems like you could put in two of these units one over the other with upper set up as attitude and lower set up as HSI, as is depicted. Is that pretty easy to do? Would I have a backup attitude indicator in that case, if one failed?
Thanks,

Sort of. As Garmin has described, these boxes use different hardware and software than their other EFIS units, giving you a level of protection against a mechanical design fault or software error. If you use just two of these boxes you lose that level of protection.

Hello Rick,

The G5 contains built-in attitude and air data sensors, so a separate ADAHRS is not required. When installed as a backup instrument in a G3X system, the G5 uses data from your existing magnetometer, and when installed as a standalone instrument it displays ground track using its built-in GPS receiver.

- Matt

Will it share its GPS data on the CAN bus? I'm figuring out my GPS antenna setup and trying to reduce too much redundancy...

2x antenna's for g3x screens
1x antenna for gtn625
1x antenna for g5

If the g5 can share it's antenna with the g3x, I can safely remove one of the g3x antennas?

This is exciting as far as upgrading steam gauges more easily than a complete panel re-do.

Can I replace both my AI and DG dedicating them to my 430W? Then, eliminate my vacuum system (or use it as a redundant AI), remove my Garmin CDI (a location to place the redundant AI) and use the new electronic HSI and AI/flight director as my primary instruments for navigation display and instrument flight?

Hello John and Sam - Your questions are similar, so I will answer them together. Yes, the G5 is designed so you can install two units in the same panel, either as part of a G3X system (think front and rear cockpits) or as a standalone upgrade to an existing panel. And yes, you can definitely set up your second G5 to power up on the HSI page, or you could also use it to display a second set of flight instruments, including attitude.

For use with an IFR GPS, a GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter would also be required. This should be documented in the G5 installation manual, which will be available shortly, or you may contact us using the email address below with really detailed questions.

- Matt

Hello Rick,

The G5 contains built-in attitude and air data sensors, so a separate ADAHRS is not required. When installed as a backup instrument in a G3X system, the G5 uses data from your existing magnetometer, and when installed as a standalone instrument it displays ground track using its built-in GPS receiver.

- Matt

For an independent backup, I would think you would not want to connect it to any G3X component. Or can the G5 detect a faulty magnetometer? Which brings up the question: what is the minimum data required to get an attitude solution? Magnetometer or gps or air data? None of those?

Will it share its GPS data on the CAN bus? I'm figuring out my GPS antenna setup and trying to reduce too much redundancy...

2x antenna's for g3x screens
1x antenna for gtn625
1x antenna for g5

If the g5 can share it's antenna with the g3x, I can safely remove one of the g3x antennas?

Hello gfb,

Yes, the G5 can provide a backup source of GPS data to your GDU displays if required. However, a GPS antenna would still be required for at least one GDU display, but you would not have to provide GPS antennas for both GDU displays unless you desire extra redundancy.

- Matt

what is the minimum data required to get an attitude solution? Magnetometer or gps or air data? None of those?

Hello Bob,

The G5 can use airspeed and GPS data to enhance attitude accuracy. However, neither is required, just as with the mechanical attitude indicators it is designed to replace.

- Matt

Looks like I missed the webinar on this, is there a recording available for us to watch?

Hello Bob,

The G5 can use airspeed and GPS data to enhance attitude accuracy. However, neither is required, just as with the mechanical attitude indicators it is designed to replace.

- Matt

perfect, this was my big hangup on the trutrak offering, they had a lot of calculations that seem to synthesize the attitude, and i wanted something solid state..also, a KNOB for barometer....not touchscreen, excellent...Good job Garmin

EDIT: oops, I am comparing tangerines to grapefruits, my experience is with the trutrak Gemini PFD only, the trutrak Gemini AP has a knob

Last edited:
What is the screen resolution, and are the pictures you posted "simulated" displays?

Hello CATPart,

The G5 display resolution is 320x240 pixels. All images you see here are actual screenshots from a real unit, although the image most likely appears slightly bigger on your computer screen than it does on the actual G5 screen.

- Matt

GNC255 ?

Steve / Matt,

This is some exciting news.

In the interest of eliminating a single point of failure, will the G5 display a glide path / LOC from a GNC255 through its serial port?

In Canada IFR needs a fully independent backup display of navigation instruments in the pilots primary field of view and the G5 may have just solved my layout problem.

Derek

In the interest of eliminating a single point of failure, will the G5 display a glide path / LOC from a GNC255 through its serial port?

Hello Derek,

Yes, in the absence of an operating GDU display, the G5 can display lateral and vertical navigation deviation indications, including VOR/LOC/GS deviation from a GNC 255 connected via RS-232.

- Matt

Autopilot servos

With this new Garmin and also concerning the G3X touch, can we use the ray allen electric trim servos for the autopilot or should we install the garmin autopilot servos, regardless of using the ray allen for electric trim?

Back