What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mentoring those with the "Spark"

TomVal

Well Known Member
Initially I posted this under Paul Dye?s thread ?Igniting the Spark? but decided to start a separate thread. We in San Diego have been involved in a mentoring program working with the AFROTC cadets at San Diego State University that are slated to start pilot training. I will let the article below describe the program. This article is tentatively scheduled to be published in the December issue of the ?Dispatch?, a magazine of the Commemorative Air Force.

We are overwhelmed by the level of grassroots support our program has received. We are now 10 months into the program and the results have been encouraging. Hopefully other flying communities will consider supporting their neighboring Universities with similar programs.

For those of you whom may be interested in more information, I would be happy to talk with you and/or send you information about the program. Please PM me if so interested. It has been a very rewarding experience for all.

Regards,
Tom

AIR GROUP ONE JOINS the AIR FORCE!

Well, not exactly. Through the efforts of Col Martin Wojtysiak (aka ?Woj?), Commander, Detachment 75, Air Force ROTC, at San Diego State University (SDSU), and in combination with the generous members of CAF ? Air Group One, San Diego, a decision was made to mentor and assist the next generation of military aviators.

SDSU is an AFROTC magnet school. For those students interested in pursuing an Air Force career, that goal can be achieved by completing a four year program offered through SDSU. The AFROTC program is made available to students of 16 area colleges and universities.

The current enrollment of students in the program is approximately 150. Applications have been flooding in and as a result, the bar for acceptance into the AFROTC program has continued to rise.

Many future specialties and disciplines may be pursued by these future officers, but the most coveted position is to be selected as a ?Pilot Select Candidate.? Upon graduation from SDSU and the awarding of their Air Force Commission, these now newly minted 2/Lts will be slotted to attend fixed-wing pilot training or enter the Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) track. To be selected for either track infers that you have been thoroughly screened, prodded, and tested. Unlike those of us whom entered military flight training in the 60?s and early 70?s (some joke that ?if you could fog a mirror and read an eye chart you were hired!), it is a major accomplishment for today?s cadets to have survived the selection process and to be awarded a pilot or RPA slot.

Upon graduation, the first major hurdle the cadets must clear is ?IFS?, the USAF Initial Flight Screening Program. IFS is conducted through a civilian contractor, Doss Aviation, out of Pueblo, CO. The training aircraft utilized is the Diamond 20 (DA-20), a two seat, low wing, all composite aircraft.

IFS will be the cadet?s first introduction into formalized military flight training. By design, IFS is challenging and is programmed to take the student just beyond solo. This is where the rubber meets the road. The program is highly time compressed. Early in their senior year the students receive a study link to the program. The underlying message is that ?you best learn this stuff before you get here, cuz you might not have the time otherwise?fight?s on!? You either pass the program or wave your Air Force flight career goodbye. Col Wojtysiak stated that, in previous years, as many as 30% would fail!

In October of 2010, Woj approached Air Group One to discuss the potential causes of the high failure rate. He told us that most cadets entered IFS with little or no flight experience. Although IFS recommends that students acquire some flight training prior to arrival, the fact is, most of these students typically do not have the financial resources to allocate towards such training.

For example, the recently graduated Class of 2011 had five pilot select candidates. One cadet had previously soloed, the remaining four had ?zero? flight time. Col Wojtysiak wanted to do better for his San Diego cadets.

This is where AG-1 stepped in. We proposed to the Colonel that we seek a volunteer group of San Diego area based pilots and explore the possibility of assembling a training package at little to no cost to the cadets. Naturally, he was very much on board with this idea.

At the November 2010 AG-1 staff meeting, our program was reviewed and the staff agreed to support our efforts. The program was designed to be a community outreach of local area pilots willing to share their time, equipment, and expertise, with the upcoming generation of aviators. The support of AG-1 was overwhelming. Seven out of eleven of our primary instructor slots are quickly filled by AG-1 members.

During the development of the program we sought input from IFS. Their bullet points were:

? To assist student to overcome any airsickness tendencies
? To develop strong pitch & power fundamentals
? To develop task management skills
? To develop spot landing accuracy skills

These bullet points were incorporated into the core of our program.

After an AG-1 sponsored kick-off to the flight program last January, where all five candidates received introductory incentive flights, the cadets and volunteers got to work. Seven months later, we are in the process of completing training with the recently commissioned class of 2011. We will continue to work with them up until their IFS report dates next February. On deck is the Cadet Class of 2012, with four more Pilot Selects and one Alternate, who will start training with us later this year.

With the upcoming Class 2012, AG-1?s program will expand from 10 to 15 training sorties. The sorties are broken down into 9 Primary Training sorties, 3 Advanced Training sorties, 1 Aerobatic sortie, and 2 Landing Proficiency sorties.

For the 2011-2012 season, we now have 15 San Diego area based pilots volunteering their expertise to the program. In addition, new for this year, we have a group of volunteer pilots that will be working with the cadet underclassmen receiving incentive rides. The purpose of the incentive flight is motivational (hamburger flight, sightseeing, etc.) and non-instructional in nature. These cadets are in the competitive process towards earning a pilot slot. They will not know the results of the selection until nearing the end of their junior year.

As previously mentioned, the community outreach has been amazing. In addition to the commitment made by the volunteer pilots, a private pilot ground school and classroom facilities were donated for free, and ground school text books were sold at cost.

The synergy of the program has been mutually rewarding. In turn, the cadets have more than shown their appreciation. They are involved in our L-5 restoration project, participated as our representatives in the 4th of July Downtown DFC parade, assisted during our annual AG-1 air show, and have participated in several of our hangar events. This is an example of community outreach at its best, the joint give and take, the mutual support, and benefit enjoyed by all..

None of this could have been possible without the core participation of AG-1. The AG-1 participating pilots are:

Col Bob Simon
Col Kent Casady
Col Darrel Cook
Col Jack Draper
Col Joe Graham
Col Pete Hunt
Col Jim McGarvie
Col Howard Merritt

V/R
Col Bob Simon
Wing Leader
CAF ? Air Group One
San Diego

Article Contributors:

Tom Valenzia
USAF Col Martin ?woj? Wojtysiak
Col Jim McGarvie
Col John Telles

Very cool Tom.

This along with the YE program would be a better mix. Get those kids involved in a long term program and follow up! Taking them on a carnival ride gives us as pilots warm fuzzies, but does little to "ignite the spark". Get them involved and excited about coming back and you have "set the hook".

Last edited:
Tom,

This sounds great! As you may know, I am working with HS level kids in a building project. We have been looking into places where they can continue, and you may have an avenue here for them. Check you PMs. We need to talk.

Bob

Tom,

This sounds great! As you may know, I am working with HS level kids in a building project. We have been looking into places where they can continue, and you may have an avenue here for them. Check you PMs. We need to talk.

Bob

Bob, could you expand on your experiences with a project / program that keeps the kids involved?

Bob, could you expand on your experiences with a project / program that keeps the kids involved?

Larry,

Nothing I like better than expanding on it! First, to keep up-to-date on it, see mykitlog.com/bobkelly Beyond that, if you will let me know, I will put you on an e-mail newsletter list that is going to attempt to keep everyone interested in youth programs (beyond YE) in the loop. Just post your address here. There are REALLY big things happening, and it looks like quite a few programs are starting, some I can't mention at this point. As a group, you guys helped us get the Eagle's Nest Project going by providing tools. Others are taking it beyond my wildest dreams. I have the most positive letter anyone has ever seen--from the FAA! I really have to get some of the ducks in a row before I really let this all out. Anything can fall through, but I don't think it will. There are too many good people involved, several of them from this site. In the mean time, the project is doing quite well, probably nearing the 50% mark. The students are doing really well, and I am proud of every one of them. More to follow--soon.

Bob

Great work!

This is great! I can think of at least one 2nd Lt select who'd love to participate in such a program....me. I'll be heading to IFS then UPT in about a year, already have my slot. I've heard all the same...IFS is a bit of a haze. Last I heard, washout is down to about 10-15%, but 30% wouldn't surprise me. Even guys with PPLs go there and hook rides. UPT on the other hand is a course designed to simply teach people to fly, and they're not out to get you. Any chronic airsickness or personal motivation issues aside, if you put the effort in at UPT you should be fine. Despite IFS being what it is, it amazes me how many of my classmates here at the Academy choose not to pursue any sort of flight training prior to IFS. We have some basic airmanship programs here, but if you want to fly every day, becoming a glider instructor is your only option, and that only takes people so far...A, its a glider, B instructors don't get to fly. We do have a powered flight program here that I'm in right now. 10 rides, the goal being to get you to solo on the 10th ride. I've really enjoyed it so far, and the instruction is great, especially since I have experience, the IPs are basically giving me pointers on how to get ahead. Plus, I'm more than happy to get free hours! But again, this program can only do so much for people.

My philosophy was to go out and get my license, do some basic instrument (familiarization only, don't want to pick any habits that contradict what the USAF teaches), and then I started flying acro to spin my gyros, get any airsickness out of my system (yes, I puked my first acro ride :rolleyes:), and get a better FEEL for flying. The idea I have is not that I can lean on my experience and work less than everyone else at pilot training, but that I can use my advantage, work JUST AS HARD as all the other students and hopefully still beat them.

My acro instructor is a former USAF fighter jock and teaches me EPs, overheads, military patterns and how to think like a UPT student. He has a ride 5 program for people even if they have no prior time. Similar sort of deal I guess. Amazingly, few people end up flying with him. "I'll learn to fly when I get there..." In the end, it's on them to pursue training. They have to really want it. Based on what I've seen, too many folks are in love with the IDEA of being a pilot, and just think that pilot training is something they'll breeze through. But this is most definitely a step in the right direction! I was able to pay for all my training with scholarship money that I ended up not needing because I went to the Academy, but not everyone is that fortunate. Flight training is expensive. We train in a Zlin 242, but I'd love to ride in an RV. Keep up the great work! Thank you for doing this, you have no idea how much this will help these kids (or maybe you do)!

...The idea I have is not that I can lean on my experience and work less than everyone else at pilot training, but that I can use my advantage, work JUST AS HARD as all the other students and hopefully still beat them.

My acro instructor is a former USAF fighter jock and teaches me EPs, overheads, military patterns and how to think like a UPT student. He has a ride 5 program for people even if they have no prior time. Similar sort of deal I guess. Amazingly, few people end up flying with him. "I'll learn to fly when I get there..." In the end, it's on them to pursue training. They have to really want it. Based on what I've seen, too many folks are in love with the IDEA of being a pilot, and just think that pilot training is something they'll breeze through. But this is most definitely a step in the right direction! I was able to pay for all my training with scholarship money that I ended up not needing because I went to the Academy, but not everyone is that fortunate. Flight training is expensive. We train in a Zlin 242, but I'd love to ride in an RV...

StickandRudder,

I enjoyed reading your post and thank you for your feedback. You are obviously very motivated and well on your way towards “ACEing” IFS. Your introduction into acro and military operating procedures will also give you an edge over your fellow classmates. You will discover that entering military flight training with a fist full of ratings and/or high time is not necessarily a guarantee to success. Military training is intense and fast paced, you can’t take time off to review a lesson or to train at your leisure. This is where even some highly experienced students may not make the grade.

In my UPT class, way back in the dark ages, our highest rated pilot held a commercial license, washed out pre-solo in the T-37. Our 15 hour total time classmate, USAF Academy graduate, Guy Gardner, became an astronaut.

In my son’s UPT class, one student brought his own Cessna 172 to class…he washed out in the T-38. Another student was previously an instructor with a commuter airline, and also washed out…and another student had a Guard F-16 slot waiting for her. All she had to do was graduate…she washed out during IFF (Intermediate Fighter Fundamentals).

It sounds like you have done your homework and are prepared for the competitive challenges ahead. We wish you the best and hope that you will report back to us with periodic progress updates. Just don’t forget, when you start flying that RV-4 Fastback, we’ll be looking for folks just like you to pick up that torch and pass it on to the next generation of aviators!

Just think, out there somewhere, there is a F-15 canopy rail waiting for your name and callsign!

Any RV'ers in the area willing to give StickandRudder a ride?

Regards,

Last edited:
I've heard similar stories. I came to the realization some time ago that no amount of ratings is a substitute for hard work...main reason I chose not to pursue my commercial or instrument. At the same time, what I'm doing now (acro) can't hurt. And yes, one day when I have a plane of my own, I'd love to do that. I do want to get my CFI at some point and hopefully retire doing what my current acro instructor does now.

Any RV'ers in the area willing to give StickandRudder a ride?

Pretty please? I love RVs, although I've never ridden in one. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great program

Sounds like it will make my job easier;)

Trust me, hard work, a great attitude, and a heck of a lot of respect will go a long way with the IPs.

Only in San Diego

There is something special about that place, the military and the young men who are so focused and proud. I went to Point Loma High School and was in ROTC there. Maybe it's something in the air or water but I've never lived anywhere else that had that kind of spirit. Maybe it had something to do with the times, or the proximity of the Naval Training Center, the Marine Recruit Depot, North Island, Miramar, the fleet ships in San Diego Bay but it was electric. I'm not surprised at your success.

Bob Axsom

Our 1st Graduates at IFS!!!

We are estatic here in San Diego. All five of our students successfully completed IFS and are headed for Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT). Jeff is correct, depending on the time of year, it is difficult to find good crosswinds for landing practice. However, our training is spread out over 13 sorties involving seven different aircraft types so in preparation for IFS our primary emphasis is to develop strong pitch and power fundementals.

For those of you who live near an ROTC university and would like to consider starting such a program PM me and I would be pleased to share with you our training materials and to talk with you. We are simply a gaggle of San Diego area based pilots, loosely organized, and willing to share our time, equipment, and aircraft with our future military aviators.

Regards,
Tom

Oh yes! I must extend a deeply appreciated thanks to "dr" and the moderators for allowing this thread to survive...although perhaps someday these fine young aviators will become RV owners.

Gentlemen,

I have just completed IFS here at Pueblo, Co. I wanted to offer you my sincerest thanks for allowing me the opportunity to receive such great training and a wealth of knowledge. Most importantly, what you're teaching us as Cadets and Second Lieutenants works. I cannot tell you enough how many times I utilized pitch and power, forward slips, and most importantly making spot on landings while I was here. All of these taught to me before I even arrived and it made my time here much more manageable.

Winds are a major factor here and I know how hard it is to get good crosswind landings in San Diego but I feel if you have the opportunity one day to get some, they definitely should be taught. We can crab the aircraft all the way in until were in ground effect and we have to side slip it into the touchdown. I also want to go ahead and tell you that Lts Oehmke, Marco, and Leong all checked today and will be heading to their respective homes tomorrow.

If you want to know anything more please feel free to contact me. T-6s here I come!
-

Very Respectfully,
Jeffrey A. Martin, Second Lieutenant, USAF

201203jeffmartin.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mentorship after Eagle's Nest

WRT the incredible success of the Eagles Nest Projects being conducted across the country I would like to comment on a possible mentoring pathway for those graduating students (future RV builders / owners) now inspired to pursue a career in aviation. I would suggest that they be guided to consider a career in military aviation through attending an Air Force ROTC program offered through participating colleges and universities. Of course other pathways to the military cockpit include the U.S. Air Force Academy, Officer Candidate School (attended after college graduation), or through direct hire by an Air Force Reserve or National Guard unit.

I don’t mean to exclude other pathways in military aviation such as through Army, Navy, Marine, or U.S. Coast Guard programs, however I am directly familiar with the Air Force programs.

Air Force ROTC is a great way for the graduating Eagle’s Nest student to get trained and paid to fly a high tech aircraft while serving our country. In addition, with a major technical degree area of study, there is a high probability that the student may qualify for a full or at least a partial academic scholarship. Also, during the final two years preceding the completion of the undergraduate or graduate degree, the Air Force will offer a $500 per month stipend.

If anyone would like more information about the options available through AFROTC please send me a PM and I’ll put you in contact with the current Commander at San Diego State University (one of the largest detachments in the nation).

As a side note, through our local San Diego pilot group mentorship program, to assist graduating AFROTC cadets in preparation for pilot training, we are pleased to announce that our 10th student has successfully completed the USAF Initial Flight Screening program and is now headed to start Joint Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance, AFB, OK.

For those of you that may be interested in starting a similar program at a school near you, please send me a PM for more information. UCLA is interested in such a program...any takers out there?

Introducing our 10th graduate:

smithcompleteifs1.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:
Virtual Flight Academy - Week One, Day Three

Navy Sea Cadets and Junior Army ROTC Cadets from Kearny High School, San Diego, are participating in a two week Aviation Camp at the school. This is a test run of Flack's Virtual Flight Academy in action. The cadets attend a daily two hour ground school then head for the sims to practice what they learned. Photos of today's event are posted below.

On Monday, an instructor from NAS Pensacola conducted the training over the internet. Unfortunately, for today, we had to conduct the training the old fashion way, one-on-one.

Ground School:
d6d6.jpg

Sim Station:
79mi.jpg

Students with Instructors:
dsrq.jpg

5ezi.jpg

Flack's goal is to find that potential young aviator out there and channel that person's interest into a military aviation career. The public announcement of the program will be held at the Air Force Association Convention in September. He is looking for sponsor funding (hopefully supported by the DoD). If successful, the program will be expanded to select schools and organizations throughout the country.

Today we had instructors represented from 3 of the military services participating with the students. Hopefully some of you will join the mentoring team.

Regards,

Last edited:
Youth in Aviation Events Last Saturday

Air Group One - San Diego of the Commemorative Air Force hosted two youth in aviation events on Saturday.

Women in Aviation

http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=9434173&autostart=true

3bhq.jpg

This event was held at our facilities but sponsored by the San Diego Ladies Chapter of the Women in Aviation.

AFROTC PPL Ground School

Class is being conducted at a nearby classroom facility made available to us by GKN Aerospace. We have 16 cadets attending the class from the San Diego State AFROTC program. The cadets attending are in their sophomore through senior year at the University.

e0ra.jpg

Five cadets (now newly minted 2/Lts) of the recently graduated class of 2013 have completed their introductory flight training with us and are now awaiting their USAF flight school start dates.

All are potential RV owners. :D

BTW...Check out the AG-1 website...great air show photos http://ag1caf.org

Last edited:
Our ROTC Cadet Pilot Indoctrination Program in San Diego is continuing to expand. Along with the AFROTC cadets, we now have the NROTC Battalion from the University of San Diego entering our program. Next year we hope to include the Army aviation cadets.

Tomorrow, at Summerville Airport, SC (KDYB) we are having a gaggle of high school students visiting for an airport day. Last year four of these students, sponsored by KDYB pilot Jim Krakel, attended the EAA Aviation Summer Camp program. Looking forward to spending the day with these potential aviators.

Tom,

Good to hear you are still pushing this, and it looks like the results are excellent. We, too, are still encouraging kids to enter aviation as a career, and have had several get their licenses. We will have three Eagle's Nest RV-12s at S 'n F (flying in the Team Aerodynamix formation) and also at Oshkosh. I hope to see you, and some of these students, there. Let us know if there are opportunities to work together.

Bob Kelly
Founder, ENP

Starting Year Five...

Today we have pilot select candidates attending our program from both the Navy and Air Force ROTC programs at San Diego State University and the University of San Diego. Our program also reached a technical milestone today. We were able to remotely link an ex-Navy instructor in Texas and put him in the back seat of our student flying a T-6 out of Whiting Field.

Today's mission was a local orientation flight for ENS Crouch with the instructor flying most of the profile. Crouch was introduced to the Whiting Field course rules, to include training areas and auxiliary training fields. ENS Crouch reports to NAVY IFS on 9 Feb.

We are also teaching Air Force pilot select candidates local IFS procedures utilized at Pueblo, CO. I am working with two Air Force 2Lt's on Tuesdays and Thursdays with each scheduled for a 3 hour sim session. Both students will report to Air Force IFS (recently changed to IFT - Initial Flight Training) on 27 Feb.

So far, 100% of our graduates have also successfully completed IFS.

Photos of Crouch's session follow:

photo2-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo1-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Great Sim Training Results...

Earlier this year we began incorporating the use of high-end desktop three screen simulators to augment our cadet training program. We have had access to the simulator lab at Kearny High School where they have expanded their program from five to now seven simulator stations.

The simulators are custom built by Jetline Systems out of Lutz, FL.

http://jetlinesystems.com

We are using these simulators to introduce USAF and Navy ROTC pilot select candidates to their respective services initial flight screening programs.

Our first two USAF graduates recently completed the USAF Initial Flight Training program conducted at Pueblo, CO. For pilot select candidates, the USAF program runs approximately six weeks. Both of our students completed the program two weeks ahead of their peers, a class in which four students had busted out. We are encouraged by the results and have decided to develop a similar program for the Air Force T-6A and Navy T-6B programs.

Anyone in the San Diego area that would like to participate in this rewarding mentorship opportunity, please send me a PM.

Below are some photos of our T-6A and B simulator cockpit models.

Navy T-6B
IMG_0343.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Air Force T-6A
IMG_0345.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

T-6A on Initial for 35C at Vance AFB
IMG_0346.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Our most recent graduate with her dad and mister ugly on the right.
IMG_0328.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back