What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Built my RV-9......in ONE Day!!

f1rocket

Well Known Member
In preparation for my RV12 kit coming next week, I thought I'd hone my building skills. So I went out and bought a RV9 kit and completed in in one day. I did, really. :p
rv9a.jpg

Okay, so it's a radio control RV-9. I've been looking for some wall art for my den and I happened to stop into my friendly hobby shop looking at the latest n-scale trains. Lo and behold, there's the RV9 kit, on sale no less. Regular price $179, on sale for $149, on sale for $99! Heck of a deal.
rv9b.jpg

I'm pretty sure the kit has been discussed on the forums before. It is an excellent kit, already finished, all I had to do was bolt it together. It took me about 4 hours.
rv9c.jpg

Here it is mounted. Cheaper than most pictures, etc I've been looking at and way more cool. BTW, the window it is above overlooks my hangar so the RV9 is right at home.

Being non-aerobatic, might I suggest a more straight-and-level mounting? :D

Everyone who has completed an entire build knows that the panel and firewall fwd takes 90% of the build time...
So if you had actually fully completed your RV-9 it would have taken at least 9 more days:p

Seems to be gone off the market

Hobbytown don't list it anymore and I couldn't find an alternative supplier. Shame - I waited too long.

RV4($99) and RV8 ($210) models are still there though.

Everyone who has completed an entire build knows that the panel and firewall fwd takes 90% of the build time...
So if you had actually fully completed your RV-9 it would have taken at least 9 more days:p

Scott, I sure hope you're wrong. If not, I should finish my 9A slow build kit on or about February 2102 and I'll be roughly 151 years old. I'm not sure I'll still have a medical....

RV9model

I just got one through a local Hobby Town USA! She said the computer shows there are about 6 of them still in inventory around the country.

Happy hunting, I bagged mine!

Engine

I found your engine.

IMG_20130209_081208_zps905c0ba7.jpg

IMG_20130209_081157_zpsf8584177.jpg

Since it is about 10% scale, I assume you can buy an exhaust from Vetterman for about $100.00.

To avoid having a "hangar-queen", (or maybe I schould say: "wall-queen"... hehe...) I suggest you fly her with regular intervalls.

And during the very first flight, remember to fly with high powersettings so the engine will be broken in.... :D

Post pics of the 1st flight here in the forum please...? ;)

Scott, I sure hope you're wrong. If not, I should finish my 9A slow build kit on or about February 2102 and I'll be roughly 151 years old. I'm not sure I'll still have a medical....

Don't worry Don, that was comparing it to a Q.B. kit (that's what it looks like to me).

Back