What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info Needed re closing lightening holes

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I have searched every combination I can think of and can not find
the threads on
Closing off the lightening holes on each end of 9A HS.
Please point me where I need to go.

Bert:)

I would recommend not doing it

Advantage: Cosmetics and 1-2 kts.

Disadvantage: Control jam/ntsb report, difficult to inspect, less air circulation in case water gets inside, it is not a plastic airplane and more weight/time/money.

Here is how I did this.
IMG_2261-M.jpg

I cut some of the extra aluminum in the trim bundle into some small circles just small enough to fit inside the lightening holes of the rear HS spar. I used one of those magnet on a stick tools and a large fender washer on the other side of the aluminum circle to be able to hold on to these and position them in place after I put a bead of proseal on the edge of the circles. Once they were positioned in place and held by the proseal I put some masking tape on there to keep them from sagging while the proseal cures.

IMG_2262-M.jpg

Since the filler circles are larger than the lightening holes, there is no way for these to exit toward the control surfaces and jam. Easy and very lightweight. The hardest part is cutting out the circles.

Bert,
Just another thought. I used 2" aluminum tape to cover the holes. Light weight, sticks very well (installed 2007) no signs of coming off and removable if necessary. Keeps the critters out.

YMMV
Bill

Thanks

Thanks Bill, Bruce....critters is what I was thinking of...we have plenty
here is south Louisiana.
I have seen some folks put their seatbelts on the stick to hold the
elevators up....holes wide open. Down here outside, you would have
birds or bats in the HS.
Bill..the silver tape...brand? number style? greatly appreciated.

Thanks much
Bert:)

Tape

Bert,
Just another thought. I used 2" aluminum tape to cover the holes. Light weight, sticks very well (installed 2007) no signs of coming off and removable if necessary. Keeps the critters out.

YMMV
Bill

I noticed the Cessna 162 uses tape at this location as well. Not sure what type because it looked to be painted in place and an exact color match. Barely noticeable from a foot away!

I like the proseal idea......Plus.....

how about glueing in some wire mesh?
critters out, air in to ensure things are dry inside.
I mention this because at annual, I noticed inside the rear of the fuselage, there were tell-tale runs where moist air inside condensed on the cool skin, then ran down the sides, hanging up on the longeron etc.
Much better to have the wind blow thru here a bit and keep the moisture level to a minimum.

...that...or move to Arizona or something??? :)

Get some lightweight fabric used for covering rag-wing aircraft and the appropriate "dope" from ACS. Cut the cloth circles about 3/8 inch radius larger than the hole. Does a great job, is paintable and weights almost nothing. If you know of anyone that works on fabric covered aircraft they will probably have enough scrap and dope to get the job done.

Back