What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HOUSTON... We have an Eagle's Nest Project!

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
A new campus has been added to the Eagle's Nest program, Clear Springs High School in League City, TX (JSC NASA area). Clear Springs HS is a Project Lead the Way certified campus for engineering studies, and with the assistance of Eagle's Nest founder, Mr. Bob Kelly and mentors from NASA, Clear Springs engineering instructor, Mr. Roger Elder, will lead the new Eagle's Nest project (EN-III) scheduled to begin with the Fall semester.

Friends of the RV-1, Inc., a 501(c)(3) Public Charity and sponsor of Eagle's Nest Projects, is excited to have a campus in NASA's back door. Eagle's Nest-III is off to a great start - Funding for the project was obtained with a single phone call to a local business, and NASA's Department of Education and Student Programs has agreed to assist in providing mentors. The Jennings County project (EN-I) will soon become a dual-credit course in Indiana, and the plan for EN-III is do the same in Texas. Eagle's Nest is breaking new ground in public education and you're invited to become a part of this innovative and exciting new program. **Eagle's Nest is a program that provides high school students an opportunity to build a "real" airplane (Van's RV-12), and at most campuses an opportunity to learn to fly it! Eagle's Nest projects are currently underway at Jennings County High School and the National Guard Patriot Academy.

_DSC3982_zps4lzr4ve2.jpg

Last edited:
Talk about making my day! This couldn't happen in a better area, near the HQ of Friends of the RV-1, and on NASA's doorstep. Ernie is really pushing Eagle's Nest to new heights. Beyond seeing how well-accepted the projects can be (which doesn't surprise me,) I am so gratified at how quickly the aviation community and local businesses are ready to promote and fund them. VAF members can be proud that the very first support we ever received came when I asked for donations for tools right here in September 2010, long before we were a 501(c)(3). This program is spreading far faster than I dared dream. Ernie didn't mention that EN-IV will be at JCHS, home of the EN-I.

There may be opportunities for you here. There are very strict requirements to consider doing a project. You have to 1) be alive, 2) enjoy aviation, and 3) be within driving distance of a school. If for any reason you don't meet these qualifications, or just don't have the time, you might consider $upporting the program$ in $ome other way$;)

Bob Kelly

Fantastic! Now if it were just 300 miles further south it would be perfect. How does one go about making one of these happen?

I was given my true start in aviation at age 13 by an FBO and a group of aviators who wanted to get teens involved in building and flying airplanes - so I am a strong supporter of this effort! I expect that we'll be spending more than a lite time involved in this Ernie, so thanks for locating it just a mile and a half off the end of our runway!

Aside from the benefits to the kids involved, this project might also serve to bring together the somewhat scattered RV community in the area - we have lots of RV'ers (builders and fliers) on the south side of Houston, but we tend to cluster in small enclaves at our our airports - this could be a great way to bring many of them together to help out a worthy, long-term project!

Paul

I live on the north side of Houston and am building a -9A. Also an A&P and avionics tech for "the airline". If there is anyway I can help, I might be able to give some time for a worthy cause.

Jay

Back