What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I have a new bucking partner!

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I'm at the point that I need a second set of hands for riveting the wing skins. My 12 year old daughter Lauren seemed pretty interested so, I took her in to the garage and showed her the rivet gun. After a few basics and trying it a couple of times on the work bench, it was time to hit the metal.

ivwl08.jpg

A little nervous!

o70j8j.jpg

She did a great job...now that she can handle it, she's going to be a great help onthe project!

Last edited:
Outstanding

I wish my kids had an interest when I was building. You should be very proud.

Fantastic

Don,

That's amazing. She's adorable and looks like she did a great job!
My daughter did my wing skins with me but she was 20yo at the time.
Keep her interested, that's great.

Tom

There's more

...What is not shown is the warmth in her heart towards Dad and the bonding that happened!:)

Best,

GREAT!!! Lauren follows in the footsteps of Rosie the Rivetor. Make sure she gets flying lessons, too!!!

Roberta:):):):):):):):):)

That's great! One big advantage is that you now have a relatively small person who will fit into the tailcone of your RV when the time comes to rivet the fuse skins. You're a lucky guy.

Jim Bower
RV-6A - Flying since 8/11

That's pretty special. Enjoy your times together.

I tried that when our son was that age. I was working on the VS and needed someone to buck the rivets. I decided that it was likely easier to teach him to use the gun than to buck and gauge.

After practicing on junk, I was confident that he'd do OK. First rivet -- good. Second rivet -- good. Third rivet -- BBBBBRRRRRRRR! The gun apparently got a little sideways and just banged its way across the skin, leaving a trail of little half-moon dents in the skin. :eek:

*sigh*

I ordered a new VS skin, drilled out all of the rivets and waited for the new skin to arrive.

Fast forward a decade. I was installing the Safe-Air static vents in the aft fuse. I needed a skinny body to crawl back there and buck. He "volunteered," although a bit wary after his last riveting experience. I hadn't used a rivet gun in years, and was a little rusty myself. As he held the bucking bar in place, and said, "GO," I pressed the trigger. The rivet gun made a very loud noise when it went off, denting the skin. Seems I had forgotten to check the pressure on the gun and it was set really high. Oops.

*sigh*

Needless to say, he felt pretty happy about the whole thing. :D

Here's hoping that you and your new bucking buddy have hours of really special time and make memories that will last a lifetime!

Now that you mention it..

Fantastic! Now get that kiddo some safety glasses, stat! :eek:

Right after the picture was taken, she put her safety glasses on! She's a smart one unlike the parental unit. Some great quality time spent with her and she was pretty proud of her work, as was I! How many kids get to say they helped their dad build a plane? How many dad's get to say their 12 year old daughter helped build the plane too? Love it!

Cheers

Good on ya, Don! And good on her too! You'll have these memories forever, and so will she. Guess you know who your first passenger is now.

When my youngest was 9 she wanted to bail on her own birthday sleepover to "help" hold the rudder open for me to rivet stiffeners. That was nearly 13 years ago, and now she's 2000 miles away.:( Don, enjoy Lauren while you can. 10 years from now you'll wonder where the time went.;)

Back