What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First helper, first flight

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Grandson Austin was the first helper on kit# 72908. He helped me dimple the rudder back in 2007
RV7041-1.jpg

Then was instrumental in testing the panel layout mockup
RV7288.jpg

I remember this day, he came over and said. "if we're going to fly this thing, we better put the wings on"...so 20 minutes later, the 2 of us had both wing hanging.
RV-7build063.jpg

Work, school, distance and weather conspired against us. Today they came up for the weekend and the wind died down tonight. So Austin got to fly in N155BK. It was too bumpy for a high speed run, so we went low and headed north to the Elk winter range. We saw about 400 head from 500agl, he thought that was cool as he gets to hunt this year.
aviation2012171.jpg

A little calmer on the way back and Austin got some stick time. 5 yrs since his first time flying a 172, he finally gets his first time in an RV, one he helped build! I snapped this pic and told him it looks like he pee'd himself. Great evening flight with the kid. Tomorrow maybe more.
aviation2012169.jpg

Brian,

Great pictures!

I look forward to the day when I can take my little grandson for a ride in my -8. He'll be 2 months old next week. At the rate I'm progressing on the plane, he may be 14 before he gets his first ride. :eek:

First ride

That is great. What a lucky guy to have a grandpa like you. Likely he will be talking about you with great pride to his friends for decades after we all pass on. Your his hero.

I took my nephew for his first ride at 5 years old and he has talked about it regularly for almost two years. Time for another birthday ride soon.

Great story. This is what it's all about!

One comment though, I assume it is supposed to be that way and is safe but is your canopy latch cocked to one side? Just a friendly observation. Wouldn't want that thing coming undone or you would BOTH pee your pants! :D

That's the most wonderful thing, Brian! I can't wait to take my grandkids up for their first ride. And congrats for showing up on the front page of VAF! Well deserved.

Grandson flying

Great stories! Our grandson is nearly six, and would love to fly In our RV8. Unfortunately his mom is totally against it (experimental airplane ?!?! Gasp!). Any suggestions how we might overcome her objections?

Thanks for the comments everybody. We try to enjoy the kids and instill in them a sense of accomplishment. It's about exploring and making your path in life.

We didn't get to go look for Mountain goats on Sunday, I had a plant emergency to deal with.

Craig, Good luck. Mom's are not required to be rational.:D I think communication and information might help, but that is risky in itself. Experimental flying has risks above the family sedan or sitting in front of a TV. BUT both of those have risk also. We raised our kids to be healthy & happier outside, than in a shell.
My conservative CPA daughter likes to ice climb :eek: I think that is just crazy nuts! what the heck is she thinking! But her risk assessment says it is ok in moderation with the right gear.

You might ask her if a lap around the pattern is acceptable and try to expand to longer flight later.

Back