What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solo Wing Skin Riveting

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Folks,

I've been having a tough time luring a family member or friend out to the hanger to rivit the last bottom wing skin on my RV-8 Quick Build. :(

Has anyone been able to manage that solo? If so, how? My arm is pretty meaty and isn't going to like being jammed into the lightening holes much, let alone being able to reach my other hand over to work the air hammer.

EDIT: Yeah, ok, I know. I posted before searching. Lots of help here, no need to respond. Mods, feel free to delete this thread......

Last edited:
You can do it. Some work from spar aft & some work outboard. That works best for me. You have a curl of skin going over your shoulder and keep as many clecos as you can between your face and your hands without kinking the skin. I use a 4X gun and hold it around the barrel. Work the trigger with the web of my thumb...thump...thump....thump.

This is how I did it, just make sure to put a towl in there to catch your bucking bar, you don't want to drop it and dent the top skin, ask me how I know....

DSC01525.jpg

This is how I did it, just make sure to put a towl in there to catch your bucking bar, you don't want to drop it and dent the top skin, ask me how I know....

DSC01525.jpg

Hey Bret

You couldn't talk the person taking the picture to help you rather than take a picture? ;-)

Folks,

I've been having a tough time luring a family member or friend out to the hanger to rivit the last bottom wing skin on my RV-8 Quick Build. :(

Has anyone been able to manage that solo? If so, how? My arm is pretty meaty and isn't going to like being jammed into the lightening holes much, let alone being able to reach my other hand over to work the air hammer.

EDIT: Yeah, ok, I know. I posted before searching. Lots of help here, no need to respond. Mods, feel free to delete this thread......

Search function does work great, however you never know when your post might spur someone with an idea or technique not brought up before! :)

I just finished up my right wing's bottom skins today and I did them solo. I did do them while they were in the cradle though and not lying on a workbench. I had reasonably good access to every rivet.

I think you can do it. However, I tried and ended up with dings in the skin when the rivet gun slipped on me on couple of times. Not pretty. It took me hours working with micro to cover up the damage.

Jesse
I did both of mine in about 4 nights. I used the avery swivel rivet set # 1047
I rolled my tool box up next to work bench used nylon twine tied it to the skin and to tool box to hold skin peeled back. Start at the trailing edge work across bottom then part the way up. A tunsten bar will help I also put foam in the bottom of the bays in case I dropped the bar and I did. You will have some red marks and bruises on your arms.

Post a help wanted!

If I wasn't so far away I'd give you a hand Jesse. Sounds like a great excuse for a cross country to Muskego for someone near by!
Post a help ad! ;)

I did mine solo as well. It took a weekend and boy was I sore after.. all that stretching and reaching. I remember using duct tape to hold the skins back when needed.

Done it also...hard work and slow going, you have to be patient and methodical, but certainly can be done.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Think I'll rig up some means of holding back the skin and dive in!

Gotta got-er-done! I want to final mount my wings, fill the tanks and get on toward first engine run!

The project has had a low priority for the past year but I'm ramping it back up.

Thanks again.

No way

I just finished my slow build wing and I can't imagine setting those rivets without help. Even if you do I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with the end result if you get some assistance. I always let my less experienced helpers use the rivet gun; I feel the talent is on the bucking bar end.

Here's one of my helpers (daughter).

00b6118b.jpg

None of my helpers had ever held a rivet gun before and I couldn't be happier with the results.

80fef30e.jpg

Another approach ...

... is to get help with the rivets in the rear spar and then up each rib about 4 or 5 rivets. After that, you can reach the remaining ones solo and without shredding your arm or contorting like a pretzel. That way your helper doesn't have to spend half a day. That's what I did and it worked fine. MUCH easier than trying to reach those furthest ones yourself.

Jessie...
I am about 25 % through doing bottom skins. They are in a wing craddle with leading edge down. You are right, it is tough. I have forearms that don't fit well through the lightening holes, so it "leaves a mark". It is possible to do, and I am getting better as I go along. I have a couple skin dents from my bucking bar slipping, and if anyone knows how to refurbish these types of mess-ups.....would be appreciated.
I try and get one or two bays done a night...

Wear a long sleeve shirt or fleece

A long sleeve shirt or thin fleece is what I use... will help save your arms from scratches and bruises when you reach through lightening holes. the fleece hangs up on the edges and your arm slides right through unscathed.

You can do it. Some work from spar aft & some work outboard. That works best for me. You have a curl of skin going over your shoulder and keep as many clecos as you can between your face and your hands without kinking the skin. I use a 4X gun and hold it around the barrel. Work the trigger with the web of my thumb...thump...thump....thump.

This is what I used in the USAF, and have one in my tool box.......
http://www.browntool.com/Default.as...ductName,ProductNumber&Level=a&ProductID=2176
It is great for working alone.

Coming along

1 down 1 to go!

Making some progress thanks to tips from you guys.

Had help offers from Jerry and Craig but I couldn't nail down any times when I knew for sure I'd be able to work on the plane.

Thanks alot guys! The offer means a lot! This is a great meeting place.

Back