What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-8 Tall Pilot Option

I wondered about this also as the instrument panel seemed a little too close for my liking. I asked the question to Van's and the only response I got was that they do not recommend it for anyone under 6'5". I am 5'11" and asked the same question here. The responses I got from everyone were mixed. Those who did it were glad they did, and those who didn't go with the Tall Pilot option did not regret it either... The deciding factor for me was someone I know who said they were 6'3" and did not go for the option. He said to do your passenger a favor and go the standard route... This is what I decided to do. I'll let you know how it works out after I get in the air. :D

Bill, Thanks for your input. I am 6'6" and wondered what the changes for the build would be. Guess just a silly mm, inch dosen't matter so will probobly go with orig design unless another chimes in and has more info. whmc

I installed the tall pilot option, and love it. I am 6'3", and I also moved the bottom of the seat hinge back about 1.25". It makes the plane much more comfortable, and doesn't take any useable room from the passenger, unless they plan on sitting in front of the stick.

I had to bend the rear stick some to clear the seatback after I moved the hinge back, but it doesn't bother the passenger.

A friend who is about 5'10" did some inverted flight with the plane and indicated that he had trouble maintaining level flight because he couldn't push the stick far enough ahead. (his arms were too short)

I am 6'7" and have decided on the tall option for my 8. In my view, in conjunction with the "tall option" cross cabin seat brace, one should also consider a second hinge mounting for the pilot seat - I have mounted mine 1.2" rewards of the standard hinge. This keeps the seatback at the same angle and actually allows more legroom - which the tall option seat brace does not do.
Another builder I know who is 6'5" is now retro fitting his 8A with the tall option too.
I am not flying yet but having sat in a couple of standard 8s. I believe this option to be absolutely necessary in my case.
In any case, it is quite "cosy" in the cockpit of an 8 and I think anyone who is taller than 6'2" should consider it.
FWIW

How much room does it really take away from the rear seat with the tall pilot option? Can someone post some pictures of someone that is sitting in the front seat that is 6'6'' tall.
Thanks

It takes very little room from the back seat, the only thing the passenger might notice is the crossbar/front seat back is a little closer. It doesn't take any useable room from the passenger.

I did it.....

....when I built mine. Loved it! Very comfortable and would do it again in a heartbeat!

6'2"

BTW....my son always flew in the back.....he's 6'3"......never complained

Tall pilot option is just a different seat back support which lets the front seat lean back about 1.5 in. I installed it on my '8 as I had the reclined seat in my One Design which I really liked (i'm 6').

I'm happy with it.

It does impact the rear seat room somewhat...

Mine did fit almost perfectly in the normal seat back mounting holes. YMMV.

Back