What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTI paint?.

aero_tango

Anyone is using the PTI paint system for exterior painting?
Aircraft Spruce the only distributor of the PTI paint system.

PTI has been in business for over 50 years, serving military / commercial airline for paint product.
On paper, looks like a good candidate for my RV?also the price is much cheaper than the PPG / Dupont product. Maybe too good to be true.

If anyone has any experience using their product, let me know.

Mike
RV-7A, last 10%....

I tried their primers

I have tried both their zinc chromate primer and their mil spec epoxy primer and frankly, I didn't care for either one of them. The epoxy primer did not seem to adhere nearly as well as the Akzo Nobel primer I ended up using.

No experience with their topcoat type paints though.

Same primer issue

I tried the zinc chromate primer as well and was not happy with it. I am new to this but of the three or four primers I tried this one was the easiest to scratch off after a few days. On the good side, I called PTI directly and was able to seak to someone about my issues.

Anybody??

Anybody else used this paint system since the last few (not so good) posts a year ago? Aircraft Spruce makes this look interesting online and in their catalog.

pti

Yes, I have painted my empenage with it. White and blue. I was dissappointed. The blue was stirred very well before and during painting and it still did some color separating, kinda splotchy looking. The white took 3 coats to cover, and all of it made bubbles in some area or another. After talking with pro painters, I became aware that polyurethane paint like pti does "gassing" when applied over primer so first coat should be a very light tack coat and allowed to gas off before any more coats. I tried sanding down and re-applying but to no aval, sprayed on nicely then as it cured, gave me spots that looked like pinholes. Very dissappointed. I have sprayed before, so I know it was clean and I had dry air. It wasnt fisheyes, more like pinholes that the paint just moved away. I am presently looking at other paints. Also pti has a time stamp, and my paint showed up already half of the way throught its shelf life from aircraft spruce.
hope this helps

bird

I've used both the epoxy and zinc primers. Both sprayed easy but the epoxy felt it needed a while to fully cure. Even after a couple days it wasn't as hard as I'd expect. Everything is primed now but next time I'd try something else I think.

Just finished painting a 10 with the white poly-U. No fisheyes or problems laying it on except it didn't lay as flat as Jet-glo or Imron. Partly due to me & my gun. No problem, I just spent a few weeks wet sanding and rubbing the whole thing. Now you can read newsprint in the reflection. It is hard as a rock and impervious to solvents, etc. Also, my deltoids & pecs got bigger (wax on-wax-off). I don't think I'll use it again.

PTI Paints and Coatings

Hello to all,

My name is Sean Andrews and I manage sales and provide technical support for PTI. I have used our products extensively and would be more than happy to address any questions or concerns you might have. You can also e-mail me at [email protected].

If you find that you need to wet sand runs or drips it is best to do this between 13 and 24 hours after spraying the product. PTI does not use plasticizers in our paint which is why it is hard to wet sand and buff after a full cure. The reason for not using plasticizers is because that additive affects the longevity of the paint and because we are able to achieve the optimum flexibility without it.

Dear PTI, I live up here in high altitude tundra land. 24 hours after painting your poly-u with say a 60 degree overnight temp in the hangar I still can't touch it without leaving a fingerprint. So, 14 hours won't cut it, literally.

I just finished spraying my second coat of PTI in three colors of satin finished and I am very very happy with the results. All of my first coat issues were due to my lack of experience (first time painting). I studied more, slowed down, and the improvements are dramatic (to me anyway)!

Back