What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle wrist rest

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I have been trying to learn formation flying with some folks here on the West coast. This involves a lot of throttle changes that sometimes need to be quite subtle. I find that without some support to my left arm/ wrist I am using biceps and triceps instead of finger and wrist muscles. What I need is some way to support my forearm at the level of that support that comes up on the left. In scratching my head over how to do this, I thought I would inquire with the hive mind. Anyone do this before?

I rest my wrist on the flat and use the base of the throttle lever... Good feel for small movements...

I moved my throttle quadrant aft and adjacent to the gear tower during the build specifically for this reason. Since you are flying you may not want to make this modification. If you do, here's a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9D08D59AB3FE-1.jpg
    IMG_9D08D59AB3FE-1.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 293
good ideas

I think clam made the best move but I am flying and that is too much modification. Kahuna's is probably the simplest but I am reluctant to put more holes in the tower support.

More head scratching to follow.

Thank you.

Michael Wynn
RV 8
Livermore

I moved my throttle quadrant aft and adjacent to the gear tower during the build specifically for this reason. Since you are flying you may not want to make this modification. If you do, here's a photo.

Edit: ... away from, not adjacent to ...
also, added a better perspective photo

Attachments

• IMG_6717.jpg
    IMG_6717.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 291
I agree, there is a need for some sort of arm rest on the RV8, especially when flying formation. The “arm rest” as built on the standard plans built RV8 would only be a useful “arm rest” for a baboon, or some other non-human. It’s just too low on the sidewall and too far outboard to be useful for us upright humans. On mine, I built another armrest on each sidewall inboard and above the existing metal surface disguising itself as an “armrest”. I also made my throttle quadrant a little bit inward so I wouldn’t have to reach around the bulkhead just aft of the standard throttle quadrant location. Kahuna had a good one too, but I would still have to crook my wrist around that bulkhead to control the throttle. For the most part, the RV8 is very comfortable, and a joy to fly. But ergonomically, the throttle quadrant position, and lack of a ‘useful’ armrest, leaves something to be desired.
My second, highly modified RV4, was the most comfortable, and nicest flying airplane I have ever owned. Everything - arms, elbows, hands, - fell naturally where they were while flying - after my mods. You just can’t beat a light, O-360 powered RV4 in terms of harmonic flying qualities.

Last edited:
I’ll add my modification to the discussion.
Full custom side consoles, using the existing arm rest as the bottom and triangulated support for the new arm rest. The existing rest forms the bottom of a sectional storage slot. I machined a custom wedge to level the quadrant, since the bulkhead cap is not vertical.
This was a LOT of work, and the changes snowball since the quadrant cables are all custom lengths, a new cable bracket needed to be made, etc. etc.
But, it is rock solid and puts the quadrant and your arm at the perfect height.

Attachments

• 0E26646A-A7F0-461F-8DE4-8998667F9A19.jpeg
    0E26646A-A7F0-461F-8DE4-8998667F9A19.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 184
  • EAD45CDF-25C5-4CA1-885E-CB2A37FB20A8.jpeg
    EAD45CDF-25C5-4CA1-885E-CB2A37FB20A8.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back