What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Gear Out of Square Outboard Side

kibrickj

Have others experienced an out of square landing gear on the outboard side where the outboard bracket (U-803) fits over landing gear. It appears that during the bending process the edge of the steel flares out, preventing the natural fit of U-803 over the the landing gear (U-801).

Surprised manufacturing process doesn't include milling it straight on the edge for better fit. Have others experienced this and had to manually file landing gear edge (not corners as described instructions) for best fit possible. I'm assuming its not okay to have slop in the fit for somewhat obvious reasons.

Vans told me to file it down as best I could, but just seems like an unfinished manufacturing process to me. In any case, just looking to see if this issue is common.

IMG_9773.jpeg

IMG_9775.jpeg

IMG_9777.jpeg

IMG_9776.jpeg

Last edited:
Guessing it's not a common problem at this point? Asked differently, did others have a relatively tight fit of the landing gear to U-803 outboard bracket on the sides of the bracket?

To me, it seems like my landing gear finishing is mediocre and that I'm being herded to do the best I can with it....I don't know if it doesn't really matter if its a poor fit, but seems like both the bolts through the bracket and the contact between the bracket and the landing gear should not have slop in this location.

On the top side of the landing gear, the bracket has too much room, and on the bottom side of the landing gear, the landing gear is way too wide (in the horizontal plane) to possible fit without heavy use of a file to knock down lower side of landing gear. Even if I file, it will still be loose on top side of landing gear.

Note: in pictures, fuselage is upside down.

My recommendation would be to file the fore and aft faces flat and square, over just enough area to get a nice fit with the U-803 brackets. I think you are right that you don't want a sloppy fit. Whatever flat area you end up with will be enough contact area to support the the gear strut against any fore-aft loads, even if it is only contacting over 20--30% of the face area.

How about doing the Sky designs aluminum gear.. pretty good weight savings.. no gear fairings.

I remembered that I had to carefully file down the side of the bracket until it fitted to the landing gear leg. The legs are not CNC. They are bent on a press and the material will move around the area close to the bend.
You will have to do the wheel alignment after you are all done. Build on.

My recommendation would be to file the fore and aft faces flat and square, over just enough area to get a nice fit with the U-803 brackets. I think you are right that you don't want a sloppy fit. Whatever flat area you end up with will be enough contact area to support the the gear strut against any fore-aft loads, even if it is only contacting over 20--30% of the face area.

Sounds like thoughtful advice. thanks.

How about doing the Sky designs aluminum gear.. pretty good weight savings.. no gear fairings.

Looked into it. Beautiful. I talked to Ken about it extensively. Ultimately, I went back and forth and decided I'd rather have more weight, but thiner (and hence springier if that's a word) landing gear with likely more give/wiggle room for rough landings. Maybe I'm being too conservative, but the idea of crimpling the fuselage is too much for me to handle...Too much blood, sweat, and tears.

Looked into it. Beautiful. I talked to Ken about it extensively. Ultimately, I went back and forth and decided I'd rather have more weight, but thiner (and hence springier if that's a word) landing gear with likely more give/wiggle room for rough landings. Maybe I'm being too conservative, but the idea of crimpling the fuselage is too much for me to handle...Too much blood, sweat, and tears.

So does having the vans gears vs. grove aluminum gear help have more flex on landings? Was discussion on data and facts or just discussions. I’d think either gear could not give in a variant of scenarios, thus ripping the fuselage apart. I’ve gone back and forth on this and I have both gear at the ready. I most likely will go aluminum unless I can find hard data leading the other way.
Just my .02

Back