What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Risse rudder pedals

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I don't recall where I found these rudder pedals but has anybody used them?

https://www.risseracing.com/pedals_rv.shtml

I'm a new builder with no experience with Van's airplanes but the design of the factory pedals seems a little odd. Namely, the placement of the master cylinders and lines on the front of the pedals. The Risse pedals relocate those to the back.

I wonder if these would work with Beringer brakes?

Thoughts?

https://www.risseracing.com/pedals_rv.shtml

I'm a new builder with no experience with Van's airplanes but the design of the factory pedals seems a little odd. Namely, the placement of the master cylinders and lines on the front of the pedals. The Risse pedals relocate those to the back.

I wonder if these would work with Beringer brakes?

Thoughts?

Check with Paul at

http://www.controlapproach.com/products/experimental-aircraft-products/rv10-rudder-pedal-system

The brakes down at the wheel dont care what the setup at the pedal is, just as long as pressure gets down to them.

I guess I should have been more specific. Having never seen factory or Beringer brake master cylinders, I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two as far as how they are mounted to the pedal "frame". If there is a difference, I suspect these Risse pedals may not work with Beringer master cylinders. I sent an email to the company and will report back if I hear from them.

Those pedals look identical to the Risse pedals. They both use the same photo on their website. I contacted ControlApproach to see if indeed they are the same.

You might want to check out matco wheels and brakes; they work great and are 1/3 rd the cost of the pretty red ones.

Don’t get me wrong, the red ones are really nice; just wanted to note that there are other options…

I have the Risse pedals, for an RV-10. I bought them during a time period where Control Approach was either not making product, or at least not responding to inquiries. They work great, and have had no issues. I'd say they are very similarly inspired, but there are a few very minor differences.

I have matco brakes, so I can't help with the beringer details unfortunately.

Beringer

Beringer master cylinders fit pretty much like any other except the top of each has adjustment to allow for some fine tuning of the pedal position.

All I really have to say is, That is one way to get rid of $800.00 + dollars in a hurry that won't make the plane go any faster. Or sell for more.
Ha Ha. Art

Thoughts?

Plenty of thoughts, but this is a family forum... ��

I ordered a set of pedals from Risse for my -14 project in early July ’22. I’ll hit the highlights:
- September, 1st query to Risse: “Waiting for parts, will ship FedEx in two weeks.”
- Late October ’22: (spoke directly with Kevin Risse) “Waiting parts, will ship FedEx in two weeks.”
- November ’22, conducted searches on Risse Racing - business and legal. Several complaints of non-delivery of merchandise, mostly bicycle, some aircraft rudder pedals - took payment, no delivery.
- Open and closed Better Business Bureau complaints.
- Queried Oregon law enforcement - Risse has history of past customer complaints.

I received my money back. Guessing that letters on official state letterhead (Oregon, Washington Atty Generals) has some impact. BTW, local law enforcement in Oregon knew his name.

I’m sure some will attest that Risse walks on water and helps little old ladies across the street in the rain. Well, roll the dice, take your chances.

Van's 2nd generation overhead rudder pedals work just fine. Personally I would spend the $800 bucks on something else.

Although I don’t know what “Vans second generation overhead pedals” are, if they haven’t changed the original overhead hanging pedals, the geometry side loads the cylinder shaft and wears the top seal prematurely. You can expect them to leak at some point and need a rebuild.
It appears the Control Approach design keeps the cylinder in direct alignment with the actuator, no side load in the shaft. This design is better from that one stand point.
Is it worth the $$?
Not sure I would spend it on them but people spend far more on far worse choices in my opinion.

I refer to Van's overhead rudder pedals "second generation" as they were a marked improvement from the original floor mounted pedals. I have had no issues with over 1000 hours of use.

Back