What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Plug Thread Sealant?

Aggie78

Well Known Member
So...I'm replacing a seeping quick drain valve with a standard oil plug on my IO-360...

No crush washer apparently used in this application, which is 1/2" NPT.

I can't find any reference to putting anything on the threads to act as a sealant?

I've heard teflon tape can be used, but cannot find any reference approving that...

Are these plugs "self-sealing" and not in need of sealants, washers, etc., if torqued to the right values?

TIA,

Rob

I would not recommend Teflon tape, but you will need a sealant. I use what use to be called PST from Permatex .

A quick search for 'teflon' would return many, many advisements against it use as a thread sealant.

Permatex #2 is another option.

The reason Teflon tape isn't recommended is that small pieces can get into your oil and maybe clog something up. I use hydraulic & pneumatic sealant (like Loctite).

Thanks, fellas.

Picked up some of the Permatex today.

Thanks too, for the heads up about the teflon tape...didn't sound like that was a good idea to me, either, which is why I vetted the suggestion to the resident expert staff on this website!

Rob

Plus 1 - absolutely the best stuff.

Just asking guys, no offense meant, but isn't Fuel Lube just what it sounds like? A lube to get fittings on easier. I use it on all flared fittings but never on pipe thread fittings. I found the fuel Lube to leak on these so searched and went with the Permatex #2 and never had a problem since. Just my opinion. YMMV

Back