What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail cone aft skin

Wyzepilot

Good morning,

So my wife and baby are off to Connecticut for the weekend which means I get unlimited time to work on my RV (Until I get called out for a trip, I'm on reserve with the airlines). The only problem is that it is very unclear to me how the aft section of the tail cone comes together:confused:. When looking at the diagram, it looks like F-1079 aft bottom skin sits inside the side skins and inside of the fwd bottom skin. I originally set it up that way but couldn't get the holes to line up with the bulkhead. Reading ahead in the manual, subsequent diagrams show the f-1079 sitting inside of the side skins but on the outside of the bottom skin. The rivet schematic also shows The F-1079 sitting outside or below the bottom skin. Any clarity here would be much appreciated. Hope everyone enjoys their Easter and or Passover.

Dave

IIRC F-1079 does sit inside the side skins and inside the forward bottom skin. I'm looking for a picture now.

Jason

I don't see the orientation you mention in subsequent plans pages and my rivet callout page is an exploded view. But I did it with the aft skin under the forward and side skins. This fits the general rule of thumb for lap joints - forward over aft and top over bottom. That aft skin is so thick, it took a bit of work to get it to cleco in place. The pre-bend is not enough and I had to use a ratchet strap to curl it a bit more before it would lay in place without putting excessive springback forces on my clecos.

Yup. The 1079 skin is underneath all the other tailcone skins. I remember it being a PITA to get lined up, but if you just keep working with it, it'll go.

Here is the best picture I have of that part of the build:
P1010685.JPG

Tail cone

Nice to know it's not just the 7. Fitting that skin and bulkheads was a major pain. I rolled the edges with my leading edge rolling jig and 3/4" pipe. Came out pretty close but it took two men to do it.

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. I took a picture of the rivet schematic so you can see what I'm referring to.
ibktww.jpg

It shows the head of the AN426AD3-4 on the Aft bottom skin which would indicate that that piece sits on the outside underneath the fwd bottom skin and inside the side skins. That being said, the figure on page 10-8 clearly shows the Aft bottom skin inside of the fwd bottom skin and the side skins. One thing I noticed is that the diagram on page 10-8 is revision 1 while revet schematic is revision 0. I wonder if there was a change and the rivet schematic wasn't updated?:confused::confused:

Yup. The 1079 skin is underneath all the other tailcone skins. I remember it being a PITA to get lined up

This is the truth. I remember a fair amount of sweat and a few expletives being spent at this point:D

Here is a pic of mine looking forward - awkward angle, but the best I could get laying on the floor. 1079 under everything:
74EDAEDE-F704-4907-B7F6-491B3E82470F.jpg

However, now that I go back and look at the rivet call out diagram, it is clear that the 1079 is above the bottom skin:confused:
F1100D9A-1569-44C9-B213-59997CE9560D.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are awesome!!! Thanks again for all of the quick help. Looking at the pictures you guys posted the aft bottom skin should tuck neatly inside the side skins and the fwd bottom skin. Now back to the shop to try and "massage" it all together. It's a serious PITA:(

Dave

Just FYI, I gave Ken over at Vans a call today because i was curious why the Rivet call out diagram was drawn that way. He didn't have an answer as to why be he said that he was 100% certain that the aft bottom skin sits inside of the fwd bottom skin and the side skins just as you guys said. So I finally got it all put back together, correctly this time, and I am happy to move on to the next step.

Dave

Back