What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turning on/off a remote camera

JDBoston

Well Known Member
For those that are using outside mounted Gopro (or other action cams), what are you using to turn on and off your tail camera or anything else mounted outside?

Since they don't have great battery life and I don't want to record all three hours of a flight I assume people turn them on and off remotely.

Insta360 mounted in the VS fairing. It has it’s own power supply since the battery will not last, the more so in the cold…
Control works pretty good with wifi using the iPad mini :)

I set my Hero8 to "never-turn-off" and then initiate connection. It has seemed to work with that setting. I have been dragging my feet on making power available either via battery or USB extension, but that unseals the battery cover.

I did end up with a corrupt data card after a beautiful tour of Mt Rainier. Now, remove battery then data card, insert new card and new battery. That has worked.

Battery life is reduced in cool ambients.

Video description of my equipment here: https://youtu.be/8OEosxVJsG0

I've not had much success getting all GoPro cameras to turn on from the remote (after being turned off from the remote) so I leave them on (but not recording). Obviously this presents a time limitation when running on internal battery.

Aside from the remote, you can also use your phone as a remote. Note you cant turn it off completely, but you can start/stop recording and it will go into sleep mode.

Back