What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

Plenum

Finally. It fits. Slips right into the baffle boxes. A lot of work went into this. It looks like heck at the moment and needs some minor trimming to get the inlet gap perfect. Easy stuff. Tormorrow, I can finish sand and prep then apply the final carbon fiber skin and polish it. Should be really nice.
20220509_154856.jpg
20220509_154915.jpg

Getting closer by the day !

I'm getting closer to wrapping up my plenum using a stock Vans cowl. Little more work to do around the bottom side of the inlets where they intersect the cooling ramps.

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpg
    IMG_6538.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 268
Dave!
That work is awesome! Simply awesome! I can't do it. Not a single wavey line in the whole thing, meaning the plane itself.

I am not worthy...

I used 295UV with the black Sika primer ($) and activator. I used the great tips Larry (aka Wirejock) documented in his article in Kit Planes magazine (https://www.kitplanes.com/sikaflex-canopy-bond/) a few months ago and followed the Sika instructions. It’s a process to be sure but happy with results on canopy and windshield.

Last edited:
Panel update

I have finished all my wiring requirements so I have started programming my VPX Sport digital circuit box defining which switches turn on the relevant circuits and specifying the amperage value for each one.

Consequently this has allowed me to turn on my avionics for the first time and allowed me to:-

1. Update the software to the latest version from Advanced.

2. Program the PFD and the MFD functionality plus specify which components are linked to them.

I have attached the photo below for you to view my instrument panel.

https://flic.kr/ps/3TnTEo

I have turned on all the systems in the VPX and thankfully so far I have not generated any smoke.

Cheers,

Status

Status? Frustrated.
Everything Firewall Forward is dependent on something else. That assumes all the parts are available. If another widget is needed, there goes another order to a vendor and more time. My shop is a disaster. There are parts waiting and tools to install them all over. Today, an order finally arrived from Spruce. The plastic package seal must have opened and part fell out in the warehouse. Component can't be installed or even partially used because they are looking for the missing piece and don't have a replacement to send. Out of stock. Oh bother! My electronics are pending two HDX screens. My interior is on the waiting list for who knows when. On to something else. I may switch to fiberglass and paint for a while. At least I have all the stuff.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Edit...
Status? Still frustrated.
I called Spruce yesterday. They were out of the part and sent a message to warehouse to look for the missing piece. Promised to call me. No call. I called this morning. No joy. They backordered it and sent me an RMA to return the defective part. No pre-paid postage. Go figure. I have to pay to return a defective part. No doubt I'll get charged to ship the replacement.

Last edited:
My 5-year-build Anniversary Update

Happy 4th of July!

July 1, 2017 was the day I started on the tail kit. Not sure where time has gone, but here's an update on where I'm at today:

I'm nearly done with the windscreen and I'm estimating that after this long, Holiday weekend I should be complete. After that, I'm done with everything I want to do here in my garage. I'm leaving the wheel pants and leg fairings for later.

Everything else is done! Wings completed, installed, rigged, etc. previously in my garage. VFR panel done. FWF, Engine, Prop, etc. all installed.

It's been all heart and soul! I've loved the build process. Definitely didn't enjoy certain parts of the build, but just carried on with the grind.

Thanks to VAF for keeping me motivated!

Ryan

Attachments

• Roll bar trim.jpg
    Roll bar trim.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Tail shot.jpg
    Tail shot.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 298
Really nice

Happy 4th of July!

July 1, 2017 was the day I started on the tail kit. Not sure where time has gone, but here's an update on where I'm at today:

I'm nearly done with the windscreen and I'm estimating that after this long, Holiday weekend I should be complete. After that, I'm done with everything I want to do here in my garage. I'm leaving the wheel pants and leg fairings for later.

Everything else is done! Wings completed, installed, rigged, etc. previously in my garage. VFR panel done. FWF, Engine, Prop, etc. all installed.

It's been all heart and soul! I've loved the build process. Definitely didn't enjoy certain parts of the build, but just carried on with the grind.

Thanks to VAF for keeping me motivated!

Ryan

Looks really nice. I cant believe you got the rear canopy skirt to work in metal. I am impressed. Good luck with the next phase!

Congrats Ryan! :)

And congrats also to your son for joining the Long Blue Line! I see the USAFA decals on the tail.

Progress tanks and leading edges

Feels like progress, finished up with the fuel tank riveting and pro-seal (what a messy job) and also got the leading edges riveted and test fitted. Planing on waiting a week or so to test the tanks for leaks, big time fingers crossed!

Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr

My fuselage is urging me to hurry up!

Milestones: Two-for-one Weekend!

This little piggy stayed home....from Oshkosh....to prepare for this past weekend. Truthfully, I've never been to Osh! Hmmm...maybe next year will be my year to go!

The big move!
Wings on!

Getting very close now.

Ryan

Attachments

• RV-7 Move to the hangar.jpg
    RV-7 Move to the hangar.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 149
  • RV-7 Wings on!.jpg
    RV-7 Wings on!.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 155
This little piggy stayed home....from Oshkosh....to prepare for this past weekend. Truthfully, I've never been to Osh! Hmmm...maybe next year will be my year to go!

The big move!
Wings on!

Getting very close now.

Ryan

AWESOME, I also stayed home for OSH working on my 7. My fuse is 99.99% done and wings coming along fine and hope to have them finished in next month then off to the airport for me also. I've been debating on how to transport to the airport (45 miles away), trailer or flatbed tow. Prefer a trailer because I can tow it versus a flatbed with a "pro" driver who likely doesn't appreciate the work we've put into our projects. Your trailer looks just wide enough.

Thanks Michael & Dave!

So, I had planned to load the plane onto the trailer nose forward; I thought I measured everything and we even pulled the plane up onto the trailer nose first. However, what I didn't measure was the outside of the axle nuts!!! Haha...I'm such a newb! The rubber would have just fit nicely inside those trailer wheels, but not the axle nuts. So, we rolled it back down and turned the plane around and loaded it tail first. Worked well!

Since my drive was a mere 2 miles through town, I kept it slooooow going! I locked my tail control surfaces too.

High anxiety!

Ryan

My 7 was put on a 20' deck-over for a 50 mile trip to the airport. If youre willing to take the prop off or don't mind it overhanging a bit, it'll fit on an 18'. Anything with wheel-wells will be too narrow to let the gear through. If you don't have a winch to help get it on, I recommend the 750 lb drill operated Warn. It was just enough to pull the plane up slowly and safely onto the trailer.

You'll have to pull the prop and cowl if you put it on a tow truck. Our air intake was way to close for comfort, but this was only for a 5 mile ride.

Attachments

• PXL_20220225_194653530.jpg
    PXL_20220225_194653530.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 240
  • PXL_20220225_194644099.jpg
    PXL_20220225_194644099.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 270
  • PXL_20220108_182949267.jpg
    PXL_20220108_182949267.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Center Section & FWD Side Skins cleco'd for the last time!

Finally, for the last time we reattached the Center Section to the Tail cone and cleco'd the FWD Side Skins for riveting!

Attachments

• PXL_20220814_212248333.jpg
    PXL_20220814_212248333.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 216
  • PXL_20220814_193941555.jpg
    PXL_20220814_193941555.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 214
Finally, for the last time we reattached the Center Section to the Tail cone and cleco'd the FWD Side Skins for riveting!

Looking great, Jeff! And more fun than the model shop I'd guess.

I think you may have told me once and I may have forgotten, but are you putting an RV-8 rudder on your -7?

Last edited:
Looking great, Jeff! And more fun than the model shop I'd guess.

I think you may have told me once and I may have forgotten, but are you putting an RV-8 rudder on your -7?

Thanks Carl! -yes, more fun, but I sure do miss our good times in San Diego testing those low speed flutter models at the old Convair Wind Tunnel!

-not yet for me on putting the RV-8 Rudder on the -7 but just last week I learned of such a thing from an EAA Ch84 talk by Stephen Christopher of Undaunted Airshows... got me thinking!

Thanks Carl! -yes, more fun, but I sure do miss our good times in San Diego testing those low speed flutter models at the old Convair Wind Tunnel!

Yes, those trips were fun (even the work portion sometimes)! Hard to believe that the only thing left down there from the Convair/General Dynamics facilities is the LSWT.

-not yet for me on putting the RV-8 Rudder on the -7 but just last week I learned of such a thing from an EAA Ch84 talk by Stephen Christopher of Undaunted Airshows... got me thinking!

Based on the in-depth investigations of two RV-7s coming apart in-flight (by the Canadian and New Zealand safety authorities) and anecdotal evidence of the others that have come apart in-flight, if I had an RV-7/7A it would have an RV-8 rudder on it instead of the RV-9 rudder that came with the kits since mid-2002.

For the reasons given below, the -8 rudder would provide larger strength and flutter margins in case of an inadvertent excursion outside the published flight envelope:

- The -8 rudder has thicker skins (0.020") than the -9/-7 rudder (0.016"), making the -8 rudder stronger and stiffer.

- The -8 rudder has a folded trailing edge, which makes the -8 rudder stiffer than the riveted trailing edge of the -9/-7 rudder.

- The -8 rudder has less area than the -9/-7 rudder, creating smaller unsteady aerodynamic forces than the larger -9/-7 rudder.​

The -9 rudder was designed for an airplane that has a Vne of 210 MPH, whereas the -7 has a Vne of 230 MPH. Now, of course, those speeds are designated as TAS values.

More and more folks are putting -8 rudders on their -7s.

Last edited:
Yes, those trips were fun (even the work portion sometimes)! Hard to believe that the only thing left down there from the Convair/General Dynamics facilities is the LSWT.

Based on the in-depth investigations of two RV-7s coming apart in-flight (by the Canadian and New Zealand safety authorities) and anecdotal evidence of the others that have come apart in-flight, if I had an RV-7/7A it would have an RV-8 rudder on it instead of the RV-9 rudder that came with the kits since mid-2002.

For the reasons given below, the -8 rudder would provide larger strength and flutter margins in case of an inadvertent excursion outside the published flight envelope:

- The -8 rudder has thicker skins (0.020") than the -9/-7 rudder (0.016"), making the -8 rudder stronger and stiffer.

- The -8 rudder has a folded trailing edge, which makes the -8 rudder stiffer than the riveted trailing edge of the -9/-7 rudder.

- The -8 rudder has less area than the -9/-7 rudder, creating smaller unsteady aerodynamic forces than the larger -9/-7 rudder.​

The -9 rudder was designed for an airplane that has a Vne of 210 MPH, whereas the -7 has a Vne of 230 MPH. Now, of course, those speeds are designated as TAS values.

More and more folks are putting -8 rudders on their -7s.

-yes, the work was very fun, never knew for sure if a catastrophic flutter or Q-door failure would send us home early :eek: ...and hard to believe so many cars would be parked when the factory buildings came down -can't believe we needed a place to park so darn many cars!

-wow, thanks for the background primer on the rudder issue Carl! -I had no idea the details, only knew it was favored for aerobatics... Thanks! -I've got some homework ahead of me, and maybe a -8 rudder kit order.

Wings are done

Just need to finish a couple things at home including; mounting the flaps (hinges), finish wingtips and few minor FW forward items and it's off to the airport to get it put back together. Then lots of paperwork, weighing it, testing the engine and paper work.... and a bunch of stuff I haven't thought of yet :)

Wing are done! by Dave Hock, on Flickr

BTW the finishing crate makes a good wing cradle!

Congratulations Dave! The move day is high anxiety for sure! Things even get more exciting from here, especially when the wings go on.

My plane should be flying now, but instead I put my engine into a wooden box and onto a freight truck today headed back to the builder. I'll post about it later. It's been really difficult.

Anyhow, you are nearly there and your plane is looking great!

Ryan

Received my interior from Classic Aero and put some of the components in to get a feel for how it will look. Im very happy with how it turned out and the quality. Jeremiah was great to work with.

Attachments

• 20221004_213830.jpg
    20221004_213830.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 20221004_195633.jpg
    20221004_195633.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
It's official!

After about 2,800 hours of work N732DH is a plane according to the FAA:

Time to start putting it back together and fine tune the engine and get it ready for first flight in the next few days when the weather improves! As most have said it's been a long journey but really enjoyed the build of my slow build 7. I could not have done it without help of some great friends, EAA members and the terrific Van's tech support team. More to come as I get to first flight and Phase 1.

Very nice, Dave! I have some RV friends at KCFO. One recently earned a Bronze Lindy for his amazing -7. Let me know if you would like an intro., if you don't already know them.

Cool Beans, Congrats Dave!

After about 2,800 hours of work N732DH is a plane according to the FAA:

Time to start putting it back together and fine tune the engine and get it ready for first flight in the next few days when the weather improves! As most have said it's been a long journey but really enjoyed the build of my slow build 7. I could not have done it without help of some great friends, EAA members and the terrific Van's tech support team. More to come as I get to first flight and Phase 1.

Fiberglass finished

Fiberglass, except empennage fairing is done.
Posting the cowl today. Pants and fairings tomorrow.
I still need to make final adjustments to the Skybolts.
Funny, Sweetie takes a look and her first comment is "Shouldn't these gaps be closed?" She was referring to the split. Oh my!
Last photo is the plenum. The inlets will be joined with socks made from neoprene.

20221028_160215.jpg

20221028_160246.jpg

20221028_160303.jpg

20221028_123019.jpg

Fiberglass, except empennage fairing is done.
Posting the cowl today. Pants and fairings tomorrow.
I still need to make final adjustments to the Skybolts.
Funny, Sweetie takes a look and her first comment is "Shouldn't these gaps be closed?" She was referring to the split. Oh my!
Last photo is the plenum. The inlets will be joined with socks made from neoprene.

View attachment 32965

View attachment 32966

View attachment 32967

View attachment 32968

Beautiful!!

great work

Larry,

All of your work is excellent. You have two selfies with the reflection is the shiny left wheel pant and the other shot as well.

Is that a potters wheel in the background? Do you throw?

Jon Fleming

Potter's wheel

Larry,

All of your work is excellent. You have two selfies with the reflection is the shiny left wheel pant and the other shot as well.

Is that a potters wheel in the background? Do you throw?

Jon Fleming

Thanks so much.
Yes, it's a Clay Boss. Technically, it's my Sweetie's wheel. She throws. Quite literally in fact. Kidding. I have to help wedge and center her clay so I do know how to throw. She's lefty so I had to learn to work the clay backwards (clockwise).

Back