What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moab and the Magnificent 7 - Oct. 2012

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Saturday we took a day trip to mountain bike a new trail called the Magnificent 7 in Moab. We originally planned on riding a trail called "The Whole Enchilada". This is my favorite ride and is probably one of the greatest mountain bike rides in the world, you will have to look it up. Unfortunately, it poured rain on Friday which put snow in the mountains and shut down the upper portion. Rather than ride the lower portion we decided to try a new trail system that was put in this past couple of years.
We did not know how the weather would be on Saturday so we tentatively planned on leaving around 7am so we could catch a shuttle that dropped us at the top of the trail system around 9am.
That morning turned out to be great. We had two planes going (mine and Sean's RV-10's) with 2 bikes and a passenger in each plane. I took my friend Adam who I have known since jr. high. I have mountain biked with him more than anyone else. He's a strong rider and always makes me feel fat and slow. Sean's passenger was his friend Trevor.
After loading the planes with the bikes we departed and climbed above the clouds near Salt Lake. We had a great tail wind and were seeing around 200 knots to Moab. The flight took around 50 minutes.

IMG1621-X2.jpg

IMG1529-X2.jpg

IMG1537-X2.jpg

IMG1542-X2.jpg

IMG1543-X2.jpg

The Green River
IMG1550-X2.jpg

Descending into Moab
IMG1557-X2.jpg

Moab and the Colorado River
IMG1559-X2.jpg

Last edited:
We didn't land at Canyonlands Airport (KCNY) but instead landed at a private strip 7 miles south of town called Skyranch. It had a quite a few weeds on it but the first 1000 feet was clear and had no problem stopping. Before taking off I pulled 20 weeds to give us another 1000-1500 ft.
We landed, unloaded the bikes and rode into town to meet up with the shuttle service (Uranium Bike Shop). They charge around $20 - $25 to take you up to the Magnificent 7 or The Whole Enchilada.

IMG1560-X2.jpg

IMG1561-X2.jpg

We were treated to a perfect day of riding with temperatures around 60-70 degrees, no wind and an amazing trail.
IMG1562-X2.jpg

Sean ripping by!
IMG1566-X2.jpg

IMG1569-X2.jpg

IMG1570-X2.jpg

Riding on the edge.
IMG1573-X2.jpg

Would you quit checking ForeFlight!!
IMG1575-X2.jpg

IMG1578-X2.jpg

Arch
IMG1583-X2.jpg

IMG1585-X2.jpg

Trevor taking a fall with the camera in hand while I was riding.
IMG1589-X2.jpg

IMG1591-X2.jpg

IMG1595-X2.jpg

The price we pay for a great day of riding. (PSSSS,he fell in a bush while he was standing completely still. Don't let him tell you anything differently.)
IMG1597-X2.jpg

Our lunch break and view.
IMG1602-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Sean's wheel had a bearing issue that we fixed thanks to a DWR Officer that had a cheap tool kit and we were on our way again.
IMG1611-X2.jpg

We rode out on the Gemini Bridges Road and back into town for a late lunch.
IMG1613-X2.jpg

IMG1614-X2.jpg

Nice paved bike trail between Gemini Bridges and Moab. It rides by the entrance to Arches National Park.
IMG1615-X2.jpg

Sand hill the kids like to play on right before Moab.
IMG1616-X2.jpg

Boy were we glad to see that hangar in the background. We were pooped.
37.27 miles, 2200 calories.
IMG1617-X2.jpg

We loaded up the planes and took off. It was 1:15 home because of a strong headwind but I was able to get home in time to play with both kids and put them to sleep. Could not have done that without this great plane.
To top it off, we were offered a great sunset.
Nope, didn't waste that day!
IMG1622-X2.jpg

IMG1625-X2.jpg

IMG1626-X3.jpg

IMG1630-X2.jpg

Arches National Park
IMG1631-X2.jpg

IMG1639-X2.jpg

iPhone picture that Trevor took on the way to Moab
securedownload-L.jpg

Scott,

Missed ya.
Just arrived. Will be here for a week doing nothing or filling in potholes in the mountains where you crashed and burned.:D

Brought the jeep. Oh yeah and the wife.:D

We have had our road bikes in the back of the -10, but have not tried the mtn. bikes; glad to see it can be done. My favorite Moab ride is Poison Spider, but it looks like Mag 7 is well worth checking out. Actually, it is pretty hard to pick a bad trail in Moab. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Berry
RV-10

RE: Fantastic

Wow ... Scott, once again you have shown how great these magic carpet RV are, having wonderful friends, beautiful pix and story line, ....... Only in America ....

Once again .... You The Man ...

This just goes to show that the worst day at moab is better than the best day anywhere else (except RVing) just finished my week of jeeping there. Poisen spider and hells revenge rock.

Nice!

Hey Scott.....nice photos! Looked like a great time! Don't they make training wheels that Trevor can put on his bike....Doooooohhhh:D:D

YOL BOLSON!!!!

Great pics and write-up

Looking forward to heading out West with the family in May-June 2013.

Now your friends bike crash will be all over the internet. Tell him not to be texting while biking. Hope he was okay.

Is it possible to rent mountain bikes/helmets for the family and go on some beginner trails? I'd prefer my kids not ride that close to the edge although I would enjoy it.

Livin the dream

Great write up Scott. It's been a while since you've put up a trip log...I've been going through withdrawals. Great pics, as usual.

Looking forward to heading out West with the family in May-June 2013.

Now your friends bike crash will be all over the internet. Tell him not to be texting while biking. Hope he was okay.

Is it possible to rent mountain bikes/helmets for the family and go on some beginner trails? I'd prefer my kids not ride that close to the edge although I would enjoy it.

Maybe I shouldn't have put his crash on there. His tire washed out on the sand and really wasn't too big of a deal. It was just perfect timing that I had the camera out. He is a good rider.

Yes, you can rent bikes there and ride some of the Jeep trails to make it easier. . The most famous trail there for MTB is the Slickrock trail but it is pretty technical for beginners.

If you can spend the night in Moab, I can highly recommend the Moab Brewery for dinner and a brew, not necessarily in that order...:cool:

Scott... Have you ever mtn biked the pacific northwest? I wonder how it compares to the pacific northwest. I haven't ridden Moab yet, so it is hard for me to compare. However, you have my curiousity piqued now! Looks like a 4 hour flight for me. I can't wait to plan a trip. ;)

I love the pacific northwest, esp. around the Portland area in and around Mt. Hood, for the varied riding and terrain. You have the hot dry desert climate of the eastern cascades to the wetter softer pine needle covered trails in the western cascades to everything in between.

I would love to move back to the area some day. I could be closer to the mothership, too. ;)

Jae

Scott... Have you ever mtn biked the pacific northwest? I wonder how it compares to the pacific northwest. I haven't ridden Moab yet, so it is hard for me to compare. However, you have my curiousity piqued now! Looks like a 4 hour flight for me. I can't wait to plan a trip. ;)

I love the pacific northwest, esp. around the Portland area in and around Mt. Hood, for the varied riding and terrain. You have the hot dry desert climate of the eastern cascades to the wetter softer pine needle covered trails in the western cascades to everything in between.

I would love to move back to the area some day. I could be closer to the mothership, too. ;)

Jae

I have not ridden up your way but would sure love too. I have a friend that goes to Whistler every year and he can't say enough good things about it.
I am pretty spoiled where I live, I can be on some great mountain bike rides in 60 seconds from my front porch.

Scott - fabulous photos and report! Thanks for sharing.

I have to figure out a way to transport my MTB in my RV-3 so I can quit relying on friends to drag it along for me.

Fantastic!

Thanks Scott! I know where my son and I are going next! Another excellent mountain bike ride is Gooseberry Mesa, just east of Hurricane, UT. We've ridden the trails there a couple of times. Beautiful views of Zion National Park! If you ever end up in the 'Vegas area, we'll take you to Bootleg Canyon to ride.

Kurt Goodfellow

Thanks Scott! I know where my son and I are going next! Another excellent mountain bike ride is Gooseberry Mesa, just east of Hurricane, UT. We've ridden the trails there a couple of times. Beautiful views of Zion National Park! If you ever end up in the 'Vegas area, we'll take you to Bootleg Canyon to ride.

Kurt Goodfellow

I have done Gooseberry a few times and love it. This ride is very similar, except it is faster and slightly downhill the whole time.
Have fun.

Back