What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fraud Alert for Registration Renewal

BillL

Well Known Member
Yesterday I got my Registration renewal notice. I thought, it would be easier to just google "renew aircraft registration" and pick it there. Bad idea

Here is the first URL
https://nationalaviationcenter.us/f...K0MbsrYT58K9He4x7fcB3QF1f5BpheVoaAg4LEALw_wcB

Look for yourself. It seems official, even has a label of NEW at the top. It has a place for entering my/your security code which would give them access to the real FAA site. Where they could transfer my airplane or cancel my number.

And - - they want $65, not $5 for the same thing, even if it was honest.

I sent a complaint to the FAA via my local Legislative Representative. A friend got a letter wanting the same thing. I can only think they sucked his address from the publicly available information.

Let's just say I am not happy about this misuse of my information posted publicly, without my consent.

Last edited:
I sent a complaint to the FAA via my local Legislative Representative. A friend got a letter wanting the same thing. I can only think they sucked his address from the publicly available information.

Let's just say I am not happy about this misuse of my information posted publicly, without my consent.

It continues to mystify me that the FAA makes aircraft registration information including addresses public. States haven't done this with auto registrations for years (here in CA, it was privatized after someone murdered an actress using her address that he got from DMV). I don't understand why.

Yesterday I got my Registration renewal notice. I thought, it would be easier to just google "renew aircraft registration" and pick it there. Bad idea

Here is the first URL
https://nationalaviationcenter.us/f...K0MbsrYT58K9He4x7fcB3QF1f5BpheVoaAg4LEALw_wcB

Look for yourself. It seems official, even has a label of NEW at the top. It has a place for entering my/your security code which would give them access to the real FAA site. Where they could transfer my airplane or cancel my number.

So I'm a bit confused by your description. Was your registration renewal notice from the FAA or from the "service provider". I think the FAA renewal notice has a URL right on it, but if not it's very easy to find the registration renewal link at www.faa.gov, under "License and Certificates" and "Aircraft Certification". Sometimes just taking the lazy route and trying to use Google for something like this is asking for trouble.

Skylor

Here is the first URL

I've always been surprised that aircraft and airman registration and certification data is so readily available.

They do have a disclaimer at the bottom...but it's easily overlooked. There is similar obfuscation by a couple of "registration" companies on the drone registration side of the FAA.

© 2021 National Aviation Center. All Rights Reserved. National Aviation Center is NOT the FAA or the Federal Aviation Administration; we are a third party private agency that handles FAA Registration processing to the Federal Aviation Administration

Guilty

So I'm a bit confused by your description. Was your registration renewal notice from the FAA or from the "service provider". I think the FAA renewal notice has a URL right on it, but if not it's very easy to find the registration renewal link at www.faa.gov, under "License and Certificates" and "Aircraft Certification". Sometimes just taking the lazy route and trying to use Google for something like this is asking for trouble.

Skylor

I so stated in the OP, this is to alert others of it's existence. I am waiting for the letter to come.

I also went to BBB and it had 26 comments with a 1 star rating - the lowest that can be submitted.

I get a similar scam for renewing an LLC, something like $85 for what, in MN, is free at the state's SOS website.

I also got that scam a/c registration letter.

I so stated in the OP, this is to alert others of it's existence. I am waiting for the letter to come.

I also went to BBB and it had 26 comments with a 1 star rating - the lowest that can be submitted.

By the way, I do agree that it's annoying that FAA registration and certificate data can be accessed so easily and be taken advantage of by unscrupulous businesses like this. I too received one of those bogus renewal letters from this company the last time mine was up for renewal and it went straight into the trash!

Skylor

Back