What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a reputable shop to wrap my RV8 in the Northeast

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
Any leads on a good wrap shop up here in the Northeast? No hacks, and I don't want to do it myself.

I'd also like to hear from any owners who have wrapped their planes. Aircraft is currently painted and paint is in great shape. It will be hangered.

TIA!

I highly recommend the wrap approach ... my -7 is only 6 months old but shows no signs of any issues, including fuel exposure on the wings. It lives in a nice hangar.

Avery Dennison SW900. There are others and likely just as good (3M).

Added some accents recently and it's a dream to work with.

Yes, I did it myself, but the plane doesn't know that ;)

Wrap

I had pulled my flaps and was getting ready to do them in nonmetallic gloss 3M silver in my work shop.

technique question
I'm still pondering, but thinking I'd-
1. make a clean square cut on the vinyl with the total sheet just oversized for the rest of the flap
2. line up the clean cut to the piano hinge end (leading edge bottom)
3. wrap aft on the bottom and then back forward on the top with an extra set of hands
4. final cut fold over the wrap on top front and sides perhaps 1/4 in.
5. apply anti chafe on the top, over the wrap using the fwd edge of the rivet line as a reference

Interested in any thoughts or lessons learned

When the wx gets warm I'm planning to experiment with the bigger stuff in the hangar

Good to see some experimenters trying the wrap! You'll wonder why you waited.

A couple of tips from a wrapper:

- cover everything front to back and overlap sheets like tiles on a roof. Avoid bare edges facing forward.

- allow plenty of material overhang (3-4") until you get the hang of the job.

- to wrap your flap, cut a piece big enough to cover it in one go plus overhang. On the wrap where it will lay on the leading edge, slit the backing with a cutter (like an envelope opener). Pull the backing from one half, tack down and smooth one half of the flap. Then pull the other backing and finish the other side. One piece!

- all edges that come to the trailing edge, like your flaps, will be trimmed flush after the film is installed. Run a blade along the edge slicing through the wrap.

- an overlap where sheets meet of 1/4" seems to work well. You do want the overlap to be uniform since it will show slightly when complete.

- at any overlap, use 3M fineline tape to make the clean edges, never cut against the aluminum! Trying to use a precut edge will work but only if everything goes perfect (no shifting or stretching required). I wouldn't count on that.

- any leading edge left exposed (when you can't avoid it) should be sealed with 3M™ 3950 sealer. Goes on like clear fingernail polish (ask my wife ...)

- put the anti-chaff strip on the BOTTOM of your wing skin over the flap. Lasts forever and it won't be seen

Good luck!

Back